List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

6 x 700k+ for a role player? Fmd.

If it's closer to 900k as being reported by AFL.com it's just lunacy.

When the average salary is approaching $500k, paying an extra $300k above “replacement level” and getting a player hand-picked for the role you want, aged 25, who himself cost a first-round pick and was in the leadership group of one of the best-performed clubs of the last 7-8 years… it’s highly justifiable.

Oddly, you are right and wrong.
If we agree that salary cap space is king, then surely in a year where we have no picks and don’t want to stand still (or go backwards), then the prudent thing to do is spend some dollars to gain someone who will be a very good player within our team.
It’s a recursive argument anyway.

“Salary cap space is King!”
“Oh yeah, why is that?”
“Because of what you can do with it!”
“Like what?”
“Attract FAs!”
“Didn’t we just do that?!”

You can’t eat your cake and have it too; to quote Ted Kaczynski.

“Oh yeah, why is that?”
“Like what?”
“Attract FAs!”

I'd agree 100percent if I knew what recursive meant

Reef is a tall mid that tries to play forward at 194cm

Lord is an actual KPF at 197cm

Since we seem to have no interest in letting Reef play as a big mid, then I'd rather Lord
Lord was listed on AFL website as 195cm. Worse kick for goal, less scores per game. He had one cracking game which I remember watching live and thought he was something. But even with Port's horror run of forward injuries he's been left out. Did he do anything at SANFL level this year?

Not quite sure we have 'no interest' in letting Reef play as a big mid. I think it's been more of a personnel shuffle based on injuries and availability.

We should be offering that contract to Curnow if we can afford it…

The key difference between the two scenarios though is that Carlton haven’t gone and just recruited an 11-20 list fit at top 5 cost and Curnow doesn’t sit in the 5-10 bracket. A better example would be offering Hewett $900-1m if they recruited Perryman…
I was referring to your example of Essendon now having to restructure Merrett's contract just because of St Kilda's offer. That's simply not the case so but please show me where they've now increased Merrett's long term contract.

Like I said, if it's so easy for managers to unilaterally change their client's long term contracts, we should just make godfather offers to every club's best player and they'll be "forced" to abandon their long term salary cap planning and rip up existing long term agreements. This will surely shake out lesser uncontracted players for us to acquire on the cheap.

This just does not happen.

Imagine if we were the ones paying Ben McKay $1.5 million a year. The media flogs would fall off their chairs with excitement about how much content they could write about it. Aren't Zac Williams and Jack Martin on 800k plus at Flogland? Always amuses me how much salaries are all everyone talks about when Collingwood recruit anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Oh yeah, why is that?”
“Like what?”
“Attract FAs!”

Hello and welcome to the Unabomber to Collingwood trade discussions

Lord was listed on AFL website as 195cm. Worse kick for goal, less scores per game. He had one cracking game which I remember watching live and thought he was something. But even with Port's horror run of forward injuries he's been left out. Did he do anything at SANFL level this year?

Not quite sure we have 'no interest' in letting Reef play as a big mid. I think it's been more of a personnel shuffle based on injuries and availability.

was basically injured most of the year, knee

i think we should continue to develop Reef, giving him way more midfield time, firstly in the VFL to eventually transfer that into the seniors.

I based my 197cm on Port's own website

1727830592644.png

It's possible he's grown a touch over the last few years?

I was referring to your example of Essendon now having to restructure Merrett's contract just because of St Kilda's offer. That's simply not the case so but please show me where they've now increased Merrett's long term contract.

Like I said, if it's so easy for managers to unilaterally change their client's long term contracts, we should just make godfather offers to every club's best player and they'll be "forced" to abandon their long term salary cap planning and rip up existing long term agreements. This will surely shake out lesser uncontracted players for us to acquire on the cheap.

This just does not happen.
No you were referring to Curnow. The Merrett contract will be re-structured that’s a given. What part of my enthusiasm with us making godfather offers to gun players are you missing? And how is there a negative in that? It makes infinitely more sense than throwing godfather offers at role players…

I mean they can and do. The question is primarily on the ability of their manager. If I’m IQ’s management I’m sitting back saying “we’re being stiffed here on our commission” we’ll shop him around to either break that contract and get him a pay day elsewhere or squeeze more out of Collingwood.
I see your point but this particular outcome is not one I’m against.

I think IQ is replaceable and the currency we get for him could either help us upgrade eke here or help stop us falling off a cliff.

And this particular type of inflation whilst it can be limited internally will still come when other clubs offer large contracts regardless.

Sure you might have a general idea of where the bid will come in but what if it's close? You leave it up to manipulation. Just look at Sydney holding GWS to ransom when they bid on Harry Rowston with Pick 16 and in the end GWS had to match with 17.

I'm not sure whether you've looked at the academy prospects for next year and the changes to the draft points. It's going to be very different to prior years. Gold Coast have Zeke Uwland who is potential to go no.1. With the new changes, they basically need the first 4 second round picks (19-22) to match. Otherwise they're likely to need 5x second rounders just to match Uwland. And they have a couple more academy picks that are likely to go first round also.

If Mcguane attracts a top 5 bid, we're going to need 3x early second round picks to match. If his bid comes around pick 10ish, we're going to need 2x mid second rounders to match or 3x late second rounders.

You've also got Brisbane and Sydney with highly rated academy players. Assuming 5-6 first round academy/FS bids, each likely to require 2-4x second rounders to match, you basically require the entire pool of 2nd rounders to be made available to match first round bids. That's very limited supply and extremely high demand and you can be sure the likes of GC will have more trade capital to outbid us for those second rounders.

If we go in next year with no second rounder and just our first rounder, our first rounder will have to be swallowed up by finding points to match Mcguane. In which case we might as well trade it this year for more value and bank some additional F2s before the market dramatically heats up next year.
You’re missing so many variables here in what can be done to attain second round picks that it’s astonishing, but for the sake of keeping the thread on topic I’m just going to say let’s agree to disagree.

Apologies but I don't know who you're talking about in the second part of your post. You don't mention a player.

I haven't watched Lord a lot, mostly because he hasn't played a tonne of senior footy, but when I have watched him he's looked pretty good. I didn't call him a star or anything.

The ONE time he was given an opportunity to play a final, he took that opportunity with both hands and kicked 4. Not sure what else you'd want from a then 21 year old?

We almost never recruit key forwards. It would be nice to actually bring one in that already has some development in him so we don't have to do all of it. I also don't think he'd cost us a tonne? I believe he's contracted until 2026 but given he's at least 3rd in line at Port, I don't think Port can suddenly demand a lot for him.

We also have Richards potentially looking to go to Port so maybe we can work something out there.

I haven't said anything about contract size or length.

All I've said is that I'd like us to pursue him.
Sorry I was talking about Sam Weideman. Will edit now.

I see your point but this particular outcome is not one I’m against.

I think IQ is replaceable and the currency we get for him could either help us upgrade eke here or help stop us falling off a cliff.

And this particular type of inflation whilst it can be limited internally will still come when other clubs offer large contracts regardless.
I’m all for allowing the right players to leave at the right time ala Noble this year, but I’m not convinced IQ is the one. If he doesn’t take the next step in 2025 this debate changes and McReery is the other.

Without a Perryman style deal it makes it a lot harder to pick them off as you’ve suggested. Take Geelong as the example because they manage their cap better than anyone and they would never offer this type of money for a Perryman level of player. When was the last time they lost one that didn’t want to go home?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back