List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are judging a small forward solely on goals kicked then mccreery is a dud

Apologies if I'm misreading you, but are you aiming this at me?

Or are you technically agreeing about that aspect?

Because I don't just rate a small forward on goals kicked.

Yep

Not sure how that really changes what I said

Schultz is really only the one miss of Wrights imo. He's allowed one surely?
Seems odd that the Schultz trade would knock your confidence in the club when the party responsible has left.

Wright leaving knocking your confidence makes sense, adding the Schultz trade on top of that was the one who conducted that trade does not.

You admit yourself Wright is allowed a miss yet the Shultz trade is knocking your confidence in the club. It’s just a massive contradiction.

Apologies if I'm misreading you, but are you aiming this at me?

Or are you technically agreeing about that aspect?

Because I don't just rate a small forward on goals kicked.
Seemed to me you kept bringing up the amount of goals he kicked. If thats not the only metic then good. Because he does far more. Not to mention was also being forced to play as our KPF at one stage.

Yep

Not sure how that really changes what I said

Schultz is really only the one miss of Wrights imo. He's allowed one surely?
Bit early to call it a miss. I think he will be just fine. Did we pay more than we should have? Yes we did.

Seemed to me you kept bringing up the amount of goals he kicked. If thats not the only metic then good. Because he does far more. Not to mention was also being forced to play as our KPF at one stage.

I mean...in my post I literally say it's not just about goals kicked.

I said he can kick 25 and have a good season and kick 35 and still have a bad season. Then also use Stringer kicking 42 goals as an example of how goals kicked isn't always an indicator...

I also then give examples of how even a 25 goals season from Schultz van be a good one....

Bit early to call it a miss. I think he will be just fine. Did we pay more than we should have? Yes we did.

Which I've said in the past that my issue wasn't ever about getting Schultz in isolation.

It was more what we paid to do so.

Hopefully he comes good.

I hope so

I definitely give up if he doesn't show more next year

I get it, he was "learning our system" and the forward line was a bit of a revolving door.

That won't hold next year. He needs to show why we gave up so much for him. Maybe some felt he did that this year, I personally didn't.

It's not even about the number of goals either. He can have a great year kicking 25 and he can have a poor year kicking 35. I mean, look at Stringer. He kicked 42 and people are saying he's not worth much or he didn't have the best season.

If Schultz can kick 25, but do so while also creating a bunch of goals, NOT turning the ball over with frightening regularity and most of those 25 goals are important goals, then I'd be far more on board.

But my issue is that the majority of his goals were just fairly standard stuff and he missed a bunch of super crucial goals at crucial times. Which hurts my opinion of him given that's literally his role. To kick goals.

I still maintain that his two basic misses against the Bulldogs ultimately cost us that game. We had all the momentum at the time and had those two misses been goals, we most likely go on to win that match. It just killed us.
Defensively he was awesome. He got on the end of enough goals, but yeah his composure with the ball was well below what I was expecting with the hype and price he came with. Hopefully that wasn't his norm and he cleans it up. Hopefully it was about the extra pressure he was under as a Pies newby acquired in a divisive trade.

Defensively he was awesome. He got on the end of enough goals, but yeah his composure with the ball was well below what I was expecting with the hype and price he came with. Hopefully that wasn't his norm and he cleans it up. Hopefully it was about the extra pressure he was under as a Pies newby acquired in a divisive trade.

What I find odd about his composure/disposal was that it seemed to be a strength of his coming in?

All his highlights showed he was a decent disposer and during the pre-season games he was delivering absolute bullets.

Made watching all his misses and turnovers perplexing to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My view is that players are the commodity with actual value. Picks and salary cap are different currency used to acquire them. So there's an exchange rate between them. However it's not a big enough market with enough deals done for there to be a stable exchange rate and all the actual commodities are unique, so there are no fixed prices and everything goes for auction with different clubs in different positions in terms of what they're currently valuing.

The AFL have recently flooded the market with salary cap, so clubs like us and Port with a strong top end looking to add immediate strength beneath that are going to be willing to spend a fair bit of that cap to do so. Other clubs without a strong top end are going to value picks higher than us as they try to acquire a strong top end, and high picks are the best way of doing so
It’s a novel way of looking at it, but players minds aren’t won over by trade currency it’s money that matters to them. Ergo the main currency in footy is cap space because it’s what shifts the mindset of the games biggest commodity.

I’m less convinced on the bolded. Neither Brisbane or Sydney is flooding the market with cap space to strengthen underneath. Geelong is doing it to strengthen their top end and GWS are having their hand forced in valuing picks because they’re being raided.

I find it weird when it boils down to discussions over my footy knowledge. I’ve been around this for 15+ years and watch circa 7-8 matches a week I know how well it stacks up. Oddly enough it never happens with the more knowledgeable types 🤷‍♂️

My take is like your similarly out of touch discussion with Apex we agree to disagree because I don’t believe you’ve got a complete grasp of the player movement landscape specifically relating to the power of managers in 2024. Until our views are aligned on that it’s a pointless discussion.
Do you know boats too?

I think you’re overrating Perryman who’s never been near that level at GWS. That’s the key context because paying an 11-20 list fit top 5 money has ramifications.

If we go all the way back to my initial post in support of Cornes it’s because of his assessment that it has unforeseen impacts on your pay structure. I haven’t had any reason to challenge that it’s market value and the overtly positive assessment on what it’s going to mean for our pay structure (on here at least) moving forward doesn’t wash with me.
I’d argue that you don’t come 3rd in the best and fairest of a star studded GWS team without at least being a very good player…

I find it weird when it boils down to discussions over my footy knowledge. I’ve been around this for 15+ years and watch circa 7-8 matches a week I know how well it stacks up. Oddly enough it never happens with the more knowledgeable types 🤷‍♂️

My take is like your similarly out of touch discussion with Apex we agree to disagree because I don’t believe you’ve got a complete grasp of the player movement landscape specifically relating to the power of managers in 2024. Until our views are aligned on that it’s a pointless discussion.
I think if we were to summarise our positions as:

You thinking Schultz for Pick 10 and second rounder is a good piece of business whereas Perryman as FA for 6 years at $850k p.a. as bad piece of business that will pressure our cap and affect our ability to attract future players

Me thinking Schultz for Pick 10 and second rounder is a bad piece of business that affects our ability to offer enough trade capital to be in the frame for players like Houston/Petracca this year and Perryman as FA for 6 years at $850k p.a. for no picks is a good piece of business given the structure of our salary cap.

I'm happy to agree to disagree.

You got the ‘love’ for rejection of humility

St Kilda are 100% the authors of their own failings

IMG_2755.jpeg

Beyond drafting, they’ve blown so much money switching in and out of Morrabbin and are living off AFL donations but have done bigger all to set up a 2nd market like other strugglers in Demons, Kangaroos and bulldogs have

Yes some luck required with drafting and F/S… but ultimately decades of failure make them a desperate club to the point where the have to massively overpay (and still can’t lure players) and offer 16 hrs a week at the club… self defeating bare minimum standards in order to attract and retain players

I hope they merge or get demoted back to the VFL

Competition is better off without them

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back