List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 the year they finished bottom 3, yeah? I mean Greenwood had a top 3 B&F result in the year we recruited him, but he was never higher than an 11-20 list fit 🤷‍♂️
They matched Port's offer of 6 years? I think that says enough to suggest he is a valued player/leader at their exciting club.

We paid it to get him for nothing.

We're shopping top end as well, but that costs salary cap and picks. Houston would probably be a done deal if we had both.

Obviously Port and us would like to add to our depth through adding to the top end, but that requires you persuading someone to be willing to come with salary cap and the other advantages your club has and then also being able to have the trade currency to get the deal done. And for both of us if you can't get those top end guys the next best alternative is adding second tier players

You can already trade picks for salary cap or vice versa to an extent, but when that comes in fully. It really will be just two different currency with different clubs valuing it differently depending on where their list is at.

With the clubs you've mentioned, my view is that:

Port and us need more quality runners throughout our 22 and thus we're willing to pay for it. They also need small forwards.

Geelong need top end kids, thus they're interested in a couple of high risk ones and would be willing to pay more for them.

Sydney need talls, but without knowing about their contracts, it's likely that they need to save salary cap for big pay rises to guys like Warner, Gulden, Blakey and Heeney.

Brisbane don't really need much at all.

GC need matching points for the future and immediate players and have seemingly identified running defenders as their big need and hopefully will be willing to pay overs for both of the guys they've got to nominate them. But they'll also be looking to park some of their current pick value into next year.
Houston and Perryman are wildly different cost scenarios.

One’s OOC and receiving a significant pay increase while the other is having their tab picked up and might be on unders for their output. If word came out that we were re-structuring Houston’s deal in line with his output he’d be on $1.2m going forward. Do you think we’re venturing into those waters?

I agree with your take that clubs will value things differently I’ll still sit with cash being king though because of its ability to shape the minds of a recruit. I also can’t fault that assessment it just differs from your initial take. I would say though that GC’s top end is nowhere near the level of the other 5 (us included). Right now the only two on their list I’d actively chase are Flanders and Andrew. The rest fold faster than Superman on laundry day which is why they can’t put it together on the road.

They matched Port's offer of 6 years? I think that says enough to suggest he is a valued player/leader at their exciting club.

We paid it to get him for nothing.
It’s a long exchange you’re jumping in on here and that was never my point…

Yep

Not sure how that really changes what I said

Schultz is really only the one miss of Wrights imo. He's allowed one surely?
As much as i want to stay out of this convo (again)....its super frustrating reading the argument that "we overpaid".

Take a step back and think, as of last year, what was he worth?

I'd argue he was worth a mid / late teens pick. Disagree?

Shoota will immediately give a better output than what you'd expect from a mid teens pick (he had an ok year and if that's his baseline.....i'm fine with that).
He is far more likely to play 100 games for us than a mid/late teens pick.

Now add to the equation as to what assets we had.
We didn't have a mid / late teens pick and we couldn't get our hands on one.
No "best 23" players left. So we had no real way of getting the capital we needed.

Hence, the ONLY option was to use the F1, which on all expectations would have been the mid/late teens pick.
Linking that decision to poor performance this year would basically mean no one EVER trades a future pick.
Ironically, the pick Freo will end up taking in the draft will actaualy only a be a few spots from the "mid teens" range.

That pick was absolutely reasonable for a walk up best 23 player that locks away a best 23 spot for 5+ years.

The ONLY issue you can possible take with the deal IMO was the R2 pick with nothing coming back.
We didn't care about it because we had no intention of using it.
But pushing that into something this year (via an F3/F4 coming back) would have been smarter business.

I'm getting whiplash from people changing their minds so frequently.
Snl Chucky GIF by Saturday Night Live

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobby's manager confirmed on Trade Radio that discussions have commenced with the club about extending/restructuring his deal.
Blow me down with a feather! This one will be an interesting watch.

Direct quote:

"That'll play out. I don't expect that to be imminent; that might have a bit of a lifeline to it, but we're having those discussions."
If there’s one thing I’ve learned the past week since we got serious about Perryman this one is going to shock some on here!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back