List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night’s B&F shifted the dynamic on Rioli. Our B&F is Friday? If so I’d like to revisit the discussion after that. For now though I agree with your take, but I suspect our B&F will make pick 25-7 (or whatever 20 ends at) seem untenable.

It's the strong draft stories that makes me think it's a good deal. The compo picks are relevant in terms of pushing the number out, but the others aren't - it'll probably end up 22 or 23 of the available players, the valued academy, FS kids aren't available or relevant in terms of our draft. That pick in terms of where they've scored draftees might sit pretty high in a standard draft.

I’m probably underestimating Quaynor’s ability to get his attacking game going in 2025 and overestimating Parker and HDM’s potential but I see the small defender role as a good position for a development player whilst Maynard is around.

But I’m starting to come around to your pov on the Perryman contract. My concern is now we sign Perryman on that contract and he then goes onto have a middling season on the wing and half back whilst our midfield remains the same and that allows others to think they’re worth more money.

The only way I’d be comfortable with that offer is if we intend on using him as full time first possession on baller that unlocks Nick Daicos but I’m unsure whether Fly will commit to that and whether Perryman even has that capability.
It seems counterintuitive with how important small forwards are these days, but I agree I think it’s a role that supports a developing type. I specifically look at what Humphries, Burgoyne, Wilmott and Robert’s have done in very strong teams this year. Without that intercept and attacking element to his game IQ doesn’t have his edge of 2022/23, but I’m hopeful he can recapture it and don’t subscribe to the “too big” theory.

It’s worth bearing in mind that if I’m right it’s opportunity cost not actual cost. I don’t see the flow on effect of this or similar deals ending the same way the Grundy/ Stephenson/ Phillips/ Treloar deals did which cost us players. It’s more the limiting factor of being able to attract an LDU or B King. Anyone keen on that level of FA probably needs to have an unshakable faith in the FD to believe it can still happen. There’s also every chance it’s an acknowledgment we were no hope and needed a different approach…

I think that Houston will cost too much in trade especially after Port lost out on Perryman and Cumming.

We have locked Perryman in. 🔒

From here I would try and keep Richards especially with Harvey out for an extended period. I would pick up Tomlinson for free to play FB.

Peatling for a 2nd rounder and Josh Daicos can stay in that HB role.

Noble + Future 1st for Pick 12 and 20. We then take those picks in the draft and take a couple of KPP.

Then we take LDU or Richards next year in Free agency and pick up McGuane.

Surprise surprise..Joe Richards hasn't revealed his inner most thoughts to a bunch of blokes he's never met.

They have no clue what Joe's thinking..why would they? 🤣
He has already made his mind up. Clubs involved will try and make it work.
He will than state his position or preferred club.
It will be announced during the draft.
Everything going on behind the scene that us dickheads are watching.

Install a Rheem in the meantime.

Maybe we need to reconsider our CEO?

I fully suspect the only reason Wright didn't return to Collingwood was due to the continued presence of Kelly. They clearly had a falling out.

It started with the best of intentions but right now it feels like we've kicked an own goal just like at the end of 2011.

Hard to argue that the football club wouldn't be in a better position moving forward if Wright remained. As it is we might have handed him on a silver platter to an arch rival.

I think if we were to summarise our positions as:

You thinking Schultz for Pick 10 and second rounder is a good piece of business whereas Perryman as FA for 6 years at $850k p.a. as bad piece of business that will pressure our cap and affect our ability to attract future players

Me thinking Schultz for Pick 10 and second rounder is a bad piece of business that affects our ability to offer enough trade capital to be in the frame for players like Houston/Petracca this year and Perryman as FA for 6 years at $850k p.a. for no picks is a good piece of business given the structure of our salary cap.

I'm happy to agree to disagree.
If we knew Houston and Petracca were going to be available in 12 months we may not have done the trade for Shooter. And had we known a horrific run of injuries would have seen the pick become 10, again we may have chosen not to do the trade.
These hindsighted criticisms are just illogical.

I would be horrified if Wright went to Carlton as CEO.There must have been a major falling out at Collingwood for him to even consider taking a job there.
No hatred, just wants to move on from being head of footy into a CEO role. Same reason Leppitsch has moved on from line coaching despite being regarded as one of the best in the industry. Just wanting a change in role from what they've been doing for decades.

He has already made his mind up. Clubs involved will try and make it work.
He will than state his position or preferred club.
It will be announced during the draft
Everything going on behind the scene that us dickheads are watching.

Install a Rheem in the meantime.
That's usually how it works 🤣

I'm not really that invested in what the media tries to guess about the inner workings of a footballer's mind. They have no clue 🥴

We have players to cover Joe if he chooses to leave, but if decides to stay, I'm fine with that too.

No hatred, just wants to move on from being head of footy into a CEO role. Same reason Leppitsch has moved on from line coaching despite being regarded as one of the best in the industry. Just wanting a change in role from what they've been doing for decades.
Doesn’t explain why he’d go to such a real shitheap though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the strong draft stories that makes me think it's a good deal. The compo picks are relevant in terms of pushing the number out, but the others aren't - it'll probably end up 22 or 23 of the available players, the valued academy, FS kids aren't available or relevant in terms of our draft. That pick in terms of where they've scored draftees might sit pretty high in a standard draft.
I see it a little differently. The strength of this draft will be that you’re going to find quality all the way into the 40’s, but that 40 odd still includes the academy players. By removing those academy players as you have that depth stretches into the 30’s.

You’ll also find guys in the teens that otherwise would have been top 10 in other drafts. The logic doesn’t necessarily leap that guys taken in the 20’s are the equivalent of teens picks in other drafts etc etc.

Given his contract status you negotiate hard, but the reality is now that Rioli won Richmond’s (🤯) without a top 5 B&F result (which is possible) it’s going to be a hard sell.

G'day Walsh. Any word on Curnow coming to Collingwood ;)
mr narrins GIF

Doesn’t explain why he’d go to such a real shitheap though.
Wright must have a bit of a malicious streak. He came to us to watch Eddie's demise and kill off his lieutenaants: Guy, Bucks and whoever was running fitness at the time and he knows that he'll get to do a heap of blood letting at Carlol land.

I see it a little differently. The strength of this draft will be that you’re going to find quality all the way into the 40’s, but that 40 odd still includes the academy players. By removing those academy players as you have that depth stretches into the 30’s.

You’ll also find guys in the teens that otherwise would have been top 10 in other drafts. The logic doesn’t necessarily leap that guys taken in the 20’s are the equivalent of teens picks in other drafts etc etc.

Given his contract status you negotiate hard, but the reality is now that Rioli won Richmond’s (🤯) without a top 5 B&F result (which is possible) it’s going to be a hard sell.
Yep. It's impossible to judge really without a really clear understanding of the current draft, which I sure as hell don't have.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back