List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't rate Tomlinson at all really, but we simply must add another option. One year on the cheap, come on down and compete with Frampton and Dean.
I think he's poor as a man on man defender, but a very good runner and pretty good overall mobile defender.

His traits, I think, are well suited to our defensive style. Much more so than Frampton. It relies on mobility and flexibility more than man marking. If he was younger I'd say he was a good fit. As it is if he plays near his best I reckon he's best 22, but of course only short term.

I think he's poor as a man on man defender, but a very good runner and pretty good overall mobile defender.

His traits, I think, are well suited to our defensive style. Much more so than Frampton. It relies on mobility and flexibility more than man marking. If he was younger I'd say he was a good fit. As it is if he plays near his best I reckon he's best 22, but of course only short term.
I'd be looking at using Frampton and Tomlinson sparingly based on match-ups. Would prefer Tomlinson against more mobile forward lines, but wouldn't wanna take him in against Carlton or the Bulldogs. Both players can be handy contributors.

If he’s not in the best 22 then he’s a backup. I have concerns that all we are doing is making arguable marginal gains on our kpd VFL backups by picking up Tomlinson, and whether it’s the right approach with list spots quite scarce. Maybe on the rookie list.
That’s why I’ve explicitly stated I think he’ll be best 22 if we pick him up…

Considering how long it takes for a young defender to develop , this draft is a good opportunity to draft one and develop him so that one day he will take over the main defender role from moore. I can see us using picks 23 or 29 (assuming we trade F1 ) to target KPD. Would love for us to get Matt Whitlock, a defender who kicked 27 goals. Means he is very good at understanding where the ball is going to end up during forward entries. That is a very handy trait to have in a defender , and can allow him to become one of the better intercept defenders.
Giving him the opportunity to learn and develop his craft from Howe(whilst we still have him) and Moore who have both spent time in the fwd line is something that should not be overlooked.

If he’s not in the best 22 then he’s a backup. I have concerns that all we are doing is making arguable marginal gains on our kpd VFL backups by picking up Tomlinson, and whether it’s the right approach with list spots quite scarce. Maybe on the rookie list.
My view is that Dean and Eyre are from the 2020 draft. Sure they've had injuries, but they should be decent depth players by now and they aren't. Get Thomlinson, move them on and add a kid.

My view is that Dean and Eyre are from the 2020 draft. Sure they've had injuries, but they should be decent depth players by now and they aren't. Get Thomlinson, move them on and add a kid.
2021 rookie draft for dean I believe, but he's barely had time to prove himself given his foot injuries, but showed good signs late in the season.
Eyre we have had for 6 months. Bit too early to say for either of them. Both need a bit extra time being talls and being rookies, the afl are allowing the new rookie rules as a way to let the talls develop, which probably will help their cause.

2021 rookie draft for dean I believe, but he's barely had time to prove himself given his foot injuries, but showed good signs late in the season.
Eyre we have had for 6 months. Bit too early to say for either of them. Both need a bit extra time being talls and being rookies, the afl are allowing the new rookie rules as a way to let the talls develop, which probably will help their cause.
Agree. They need another year (hopefully injury free) to give themselves the best opportunity to show us what they've got. I wouldn't be giving up on them yet.

Hopefully - they both need time.

Interesting post I saw on the Hawks board about us :

"Collingwood is going for Gold with an aggressive strategy this season.

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

That's 14 genuine All Stars! Scary, huh!"

I agree 💯 let's hope Allan, Harry, Harvey, TJ, Smit & a few others develop well too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

I agree 💯

You agree Dean is an "All Star" ? :)

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

I agree 💯
I agree, but don't know how Dean makes that list!

I was quite pessimistic in regards to our fortunes after all these retirements, but I can already see how we are going to navigate through. If we get Houston, finally nail some draft picks and have 3 or 4 of our younger guys properly come on, we'll be in a fantastic spot. It's a huge credit to the club.

I agree, but don't know how Dean makes that list!

I was quite pessimistic in regards to our fortunes after all these retirements, but I can already see how we are going to navigate through. If we get Houston, finally nail some draft picks and have 3 or 4 of our younger guys properly come on, we'll be in a fantastic spot. It's a huge credit to the club.
It's surprising he was included in that list, but I'm willing to give him another year to show us what he's got.

Tomlinson wouldn't be the back up, he would be in the team ahead of Frampton ;)
Tomlinson is no star. But could he be a poor man’s Nathan Murphy?
From what I know of him he’s mobile, good size, and takes a decent mark.
Could he be groomed to play a similar role to Murphy?

I think he could
Murphys skill was reading the play to perfection. This made up for his lack of pace. He wasn’t slow, but it’s fair to say he was average at best.
Tomlinson may not read the play as well as Murphy but perhaps his mobility can make up for this.
If we can get him cheaply, he may be handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back