List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If you’d said 3 weeks ago we’d be able to walk away from the trade period with Houston and maybe a top 30 pick from our future first, Noble, Richards and some change you’d have been laughed at.

Anyone thinking we aren’t doing extremely well from a deal like this is just being greedy.
Don't jinx it. We could shit the bed yet.

Carlton Board:
"Am I the only one who thinks Houston gets overrated a bit? Okay, AA half back. One of the best kicks in the comp, great. Probably his main one wood though and not especially a great actual defender (could stand to be corrected)."

"best kicks in comp" and "AA" but he's just Okay

Just a reminder what the blooos board said about Saad joining them:
"We should have the best defence in the League next year."
"Finals here we come!"
"...unlike at *, you will win multiple finals"

"Can’t believe we get Saad but still won’t win a grand final sprint for years (Because Saad will be playing on those days)"
The best one is still that comment how in a few years time Houston will be old and slow and they don't need him because their HB line is set with Saad, Newman and Docherty (who are all even older and slower).

The best one is still that comment how in a few years time Houston will be old and slow and they don't need him because their HB line is set with Saad, Newman and Docherty (who are all even older and slower).
Saads the funniest ..like watching the Tass E devil Cartoon go around in circles ..houston at least runs forward which is an upgrade on Circular Saad

Just to add to what Jen said.

Must play for 6 years (pretty sure its 6....somewhere around there) to be granted FA status.
Restricted - current club can match your bid
unrestricted (after 7-8 years) - current club cannot match.
If you get 'delisted' by a club and drafted by another, when that contract ends you are FA.
Markov fits this, so when his contract is up, he technically is an FA and go to any club that wants him.

Apart from that, Richards is "still on our list" until October 31 (after Trade period).
So if someone wants him, they must trade for him.

If after October 31 he doesn't want to accept our offer, he can choose not to accept our offer and put his name in the draft/ pre-season draft in the hope no one picks him up.

edit: what Molly said!
alright thank you very much for this explaination, some idiot (one of many) on the Port board gaslit me into thinking he could just walk to Port. But I was like "well why did he even request a trade then?" To be honest wish it was a lot more clear cut in the AFL, if you're out of contract - then you are out of contract. But I guess in this case it works in our favour!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's now apparently staggered that Port Adelaide would help a direct competitor get better by letting Houston get to us

But apparently that's not an issue for:

Bulldogs and Geelong
St.Kilda and Hawthorn
Port and Carlton
Melbourne and Adelaide
GWS and Adelaide

Nope, just us and Port
Does he not understand that literally every team in the league are direct competitors?
Using his logic no trades would ever get done.

Does he not understand that literally every team in the league are direct competitors?

I think his insinuation was more teams around the same level as each other.

Which still doesn't work when we finished 9th and they finished 2nd lol

Carlton Board:
"Am I the only one who thinks Houston gets overrated a bit? Okay, AA half back. One of the best kicks in the comp, great. Probably his main one wood though and not especially a great actual defender (could stand to be corrected)."

"best kicks in comp" and "AA" but he's just Okay

Just a reminder what the blooos board said about Saad joining them:
"We should have the best defence in the League next year."
"Finals here we come!"
"...unlike at *, you will win multiple finals"

"Can’t believe we get Saad but still won’t win a grand final sprint for years (Because Saad will be playing on those days)"
The "oh well, we missed out on Houston but we can now go to the draft" responses to this scenario aren't surprising.

For a start it's likely what we'd be saying here, but their mentality in particular is a mirror image of what rheir list manager put out into the public on day one.

I reckon he knew back then they were only outsiders.

Clubs are on different timelines. I do think there should be some resistance to giving players over to direct competitors for the flag.

Though with the evenness of the comp, it doesn't matter much. Most teams would be considered some chance of winning.

I think his insinuation was more teams around the same level as each other.

Which still doesn't work when we finished 9th and they finished 2nd lol
Thinks it because he supports a rabble of a team that is 3 seconds away from imploding. Not to mention that said team was also originally Dans potential landing spot !

Ok right I wasn't even aware there was a difference between the two terms, what makes them different if I might ask? If hypothetically a deal couldn't get done with Port then would he then be forced to sign with us or would he then be able to choose to enter FA?
A player who has been at one club for less than 8 years and is out of contract must be traded if they wish to move clubs.

A player who has been at a club for 8 or more years and is out of contract becomes a free agent. There are two types of free agents, restricted and unrestricted. If the player in question is in the top 25% paid players at their current club they are a restricted free agent. A restricted free agent can nominate club they wish to move to, but their current club has the option to match the contract being offered by their rival. In this case the player can either accept the contract and stay or they can reject the contract and a trade must be made.

An unrestricted free agent can nominate a club and freely move there with their current club having no option to match.

All players become unrestricted free agents after being at one club for 10 or more years.

In the case of Richards, if a deal can’t be reached, he can either re-sign with us (we’ve offered him a 3 year deal) or he can essentially delist himself and can chance the draft or preseason draft. He runs the risk of being picked up by any other club though in that case, so is the most unlikely outcome.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back