List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice mate 😭 we have more fish to fry next week. One or two more gems.
Houston already in the bag.
Bloody overachievers. I lied earlier. I wouldn't be a week on a tropical island if I was list manager and had pulled off the Houston deal - I'd be back just in time for next trade week. Contract extensions could be done online.

If memory serves correct Ralph said we're not prepared to trade 13 (cos they'll split it) and in the next sentence said we want to give Port 13 and Richards. Farkin clueless, desperate for attention and prepared to say whatever.
And why would we care what port do with the 13 anyway? If they split it then that’s their decision. Doesn’t affect us. If they turn one pick into two then Swans will do the opposite.

And why would we care what port do with the 13 anyway? If they split it then that’s their decision. Doesn’t affect us.
I'm assuming that we're saying: you asked for 2 first round picks - here they are, we'll do the trade for you: Sydney's first and end of first round picks - plus Richards. I'm also assuming that Port tell us to **** off and we'll come back with a better deal.

Last edited:
What we have to give to land Houston is one part of the saga. What we might have to give to land 13 and 23 is another.

I feel that if Port are keen to turn that pick 13 into 2 picks from Sydney then they need to chip in to help get it.

Additionally if they refuse to trade Houston for anything less than 13 and 23 the trade of Richards requires a pick in return.

So for the final time I'll put together my trade scenario that I feel is balanced for all parties even if it's at the expense of the Pies ultimate desire.

Collingwood give: F1, 52, Noble, Richards
Collingwood get: Houston, 39
Collingwood retain: 36, 55

Gold Coast give: 13, 23, 50, Lukosious
Gold Coast get: CW F1, PA F1, 52, 58, Noble

Port Adelaide give: Houston, F1, 39, 58
Port Adelaide get:13, 23, 50, Richards, Lukosious

Reasoning:
Collingwood: We know Carlton have reportedly offered a F1 and F2 for pick 13. The above scenario has us avoiding having to part with our equivalent 2nd round selection of 36. While I know we are hoping to retain pick 23 it may be just that, hope. If we land another late 2nd round selection for Richards on top of Houston and in the process retain 36 and 55 I don't personally feel short changed.

Gold Coast: A deal for Lukosious can be done separately but for the purpose of this exercise I've included him. If GC are anticipating a future 1st for Lukosious and for Port to pick up all or most of the tab I feel it's reasonable they'll be forced to give something back. I've gone with 50. Pick 52 and 58 combined is the equivalent in points to pick 41 which in this draft is technically still considered a 2nd round selection. The difference in points value of 52+58 compared to 50 is 143. When applied to the points value of 23 it would essentially equate the value of Noble to pick 28/29. If Rioli is worth pick 6 I don't feel GC have any reason to complain.

Port Adelaide: The million dollar question is should Port be effectively short changed for Houston just because Sydney might be willing to exchange 19 and 22 for 13? It's not a deal I'd do if I was Sydney but if they're prepared to do it should we as the buyer gain that benefit or the seller of a high calibre contracted player? If I take a neutral view I'm kind of coming down on the side of Port. If by chance we could retain 23 and use 36 instead we would naturally have to forgo pick 39 in return for Richards. Could we gain pick 50 or would Richards go for no return?

If in the end they force our hand and it ends up being 13 and 23 for Houston perhaps we could swap our pick 55 for their 50 for a little sweetner.

Obviously all of the above is crystal ball gazing but I feel it's reasonable for all concerned.

Lewis isn't a reporter, he's a pundit. He's there to offer opinion and something that vaguely resembles analysis. He doesn't have any inside information about how the trade is unfolding. Particularly not through the three clubs that are involved.
pundit is being generous, muppet would be more accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide: The million dollar question is should Port be effectively short changed for Houston just because Sydney might be willing to exchange 19 and 22 for 13? It's not a deal I'd do if I was Sydney but if they're prepared to do it should we as the buyer gain that benefit or the seller of a high calibre contracted player? If I take a neutral view I'm kind of coming down on the side of Port. If by chance we could retain 23 and use 36 instead we would naturally have to forgo pick 39 in return for Richards. Could we gain pick 50 or would Richards go for no return?

If in the end they force our hand and it ends up being 13 and 23 for Houston perhaps we could swap our pick 55 for their 50 for a little sweetner.

Obviously all of the above is crystal ball gazing but I feel it's reasonable for all coconcerned.
I think we will look to hold pick 23. The Sydney swap being "generous" isn't too relevant, Port is still getting the picks. They claim a win by getting their two "first" rounders.

The reason I think we'll try and hold 23 is that Carlton set the market. Port did not have a relevant team offering more. There may be some compromise but I do think there's a real chance we keep 23.

We've shown that we're prepared to trade but also want to hit the draft and I reckon pick 23 is important to us. We're giving up two valued players and will look to extract the best deal possible.

Lewis isn't a reporter, he's a pundit. He's there to offer opinion and something that vaguely resembles analysis. He doesn't have any inside information about how the trade is unfolding. Particularly not through the three clubs that are involved.
Macfarlane started the chat by saying the
Houston looks Collingwood bound .. only little bit to go and nearly there .. not far to go

No matter which way it goes, all team fans will feel short changed.

If somehow GC give Collingwood 13 + 23 then they will feel that is overs for a F! and Noble (even if later picks are included).

If 13 + 23 + Richards went to Port for Houston, both Collingwood & Port fans will feel hard done by, Collingwood fans saying its too much, Port (and Carlton) fans saying it's not enough.

You can't please everyone.

If 23 is the stumbling block as being reported, I think Collingwood will eventually come to the party and part with it.

''Collingwood are going chips in"
"reckless list management"
"edge of the cliff"

IN: Dan Houston (27 years old), Harry Perryman (25 years old), Thomas McGuane (Father Son Selection - R1)
OUT: John Noble (27 years old), Joe Richards (25 years old *next month), 2025 Future 1st

It is a fun media narrative for the neutrals, but the reality is we have kept the exact same age profile and significantly upgraded on the two outgoing players. This doesn't even include the prospect of 23 coming back to us as part of this deal or Ollie Lord be included in the deal too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back