List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes people think the trade will happen today? The AFL have been waiting for a blockbuster trade like this for years. They'll milk this for all its worth and will make it go down to the last 5 minutes.

Well, if it goes down to the last five minutes, we know no other clubs can swoop, and Houston is ours.

Houston is YOUNGER than John Noble. Making this move would make the team YOUNGER. Saying that someone who is 27 and 4 months old is "basically 28" is a ridiculous way of talking.

Perryman is less than a year older than Joe Richards. The point of comparison SwanBet was making remains.

It's not like we're literally not going to use any draft picks, we're just trading to get a better player, and then we'll draft later in the draft. If we pull out any AFL talent from one of those late picks than we've effectively lost nothing.
It's funny how all the commentators seem to focus on our "lack of" 20-23 year old talent as the reason we might fall off the cliff in a year a two. When in reality, our more immediate problem is the 25-28 year old talent gap we have which will be the core of our next premiership challenge. That's come from us trading out of the 2015-2016 for Treloar and then 2017 losing Stephenson and now Murphy. Perryman (1st round from 2016) and Houston (Elite AA from 2016 draft cohort) would massively transform that. They're essential to replace the impact of the 2014 draft cohort of JDG/Moore/Maynard as they move past their peak into their 30s.

The lack of 20-23 year olds is a 4-5 year problem when they are 25-28 and at their peak. We have another 4-5 years to look to address that and a lot can change through FA recruitment and smart trading.

Houston is YOUNGER than John Noble. Making this move would make the team YOUNGER. Saying that someone who is 27 and 4 months old is "basically 28" is a ridiculous way of talking.

Perryman is less than a year older than Joe Richards. The point of comparison SwanBet was making remains.

It's not like we're literally not going to use any draft picks, we're just trading to get a better player, and then we'll draft later in the draft. If we pull out any AFL talent from one of those late picks than we've effectively lost nothing.

this age thing is way overblown.

I'd argue the only older guy who does any heavy lifting now is Howe. And that's when he's fit. Pendles and Sidey are role players. Howe has a crucial role at half back.

I'm looking to replace Cox next year as well. Not because he isnt best 22 but I'd like to find someone who can offer more pressure in the F50 and ruck 20%.

This legit? I thought it must have been a pisstake. Hahaha ****ing clown.
CORNES ACCUSES AFL CLUBS OF TROLLING HIM
Renowned critic of AFL long-term contracts Kane Cornes has accused AFL clubs of trolling him by continuing to sign players on lengthy deals.
Cornes has ardently opposed clubs signing players to long-term deals for several years.
This week alone, St Kilda announced Max King had inked a contract extension until 2032, while Richmond re-signed Noah Balta on a seven-year extension.
On Friday morning, Cornes said he was convinced AFL clubs were trying to annoy him.

Hows the nerve of this flog. :think:

It's narcissistic.

Need to grow a thicker skin in this industry. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

The way he’s going he’ll be living on an island soon.
He’s insulted the northern states this week re the NRL, they’d arrest him at the border.
Might be broadcasting next yr for CH7 from Kangaroo Island.
Thou might offend the natives there…
Pretty sure it was said firmly tongue in cheek, and I hate Cornes as much as anyone.

It's funny how all the commentators seem to focus on our "lack of" 20-23 year old talent as the reason we might fall off the cliff in a year a two. When in reality, our more immediate problem is the 25-28 year old talent gap we have which will be the core of our next premiership challenge. That's come from us trading out of the 2015-2016 for Treloar and then 2017 losing Stephenson and now Murphy. Perryman (1st round from 2016) and Houston (Elite AA from 2016 draft cohort) would massively transform that. They're essential to replace the impact of the 2014 draft cohort of JDG/Moore/Maynard as they move past their peak into their 30s.

The lack of 20-23 year olds is a 4-5 year problem when they are 25-28 and at their peak. We have another 4-5 years to look to address that and a lot can change through FA recruitment and smart trading.
I'm also not convinced by the Tasmania draft concessions narrative. Yes, Tasmania will have the pick of the nation's top-end talent for a few years, however so did Gold Coast and GWS.

It didn't provide Gold Coast or GWS with immediate success and served in some ways to benefit other clubs who were able to extract some of that top-end talent from those clubs (e.g. Richmond and its acquisitions of Prestia, Caddy and Lynch).

I am more curious as to why the hawks and the eagles haven't completed the barrass deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding off on announcing any deal until the houston deal has been completed.

Carlton fan on power board

I know you may be a little upset with us too, but at least my club was up front with you that we couldn't afford/not prepared to pay the asking price and left it at that. What Collingwood are doing is just straight up insulting.

I hope you guys screw them over big time!!!

Think the Carlton peeps are forgetting we have two players that the clubs we're dealing with want two of our players, which gives us a little more leverage than the Carlton proposed trade....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the last player of Houston’s calibre to come to the pies via a trade and what did we give up?
Treloar? Younger but worse. High disposal goal-kicking midfielder, and he cost us two first round picks.

I don't think Ads was his calibre to be honest. Struggling for a comparison in recent times

I am more curious as to why the hawks and the eagles haven't completed the barrass deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding off on announcing any deal until the houston deal has been completed.
I think Eagles are trying to squeeze some value, understandably

I'm also not convinced by the Tasmania draft concessions narrative. Yes, Tasmania will have the pick of the nation's top-end talent for a few years, however so did Gold Coast and GWS.

It didn't provide Gold Coast or GWS with immediate success and served in some ways to benefit other clubs who were able to extract some of that top-end talent from those clubs (e.g. Richmond and its acquisitions of Prestia, Caddy and Lynch).
I would think there will be some draft picks they have to trade for experienced players, like North's "assistance package".

Treloar? Younger but worse. High disposal goal-kicking midfielder, and he cost us two first round picks.

I don't think Ads was his calibre to be honest. Struggling for a comparison in recent times
Not at the time of trade, but ATs value was in his potential, and to be fair he was tracking for his first AA gong before he did his double hammy in 2018. I think it’s probably fair to say that without injury he’d likely have at least 2-3 or maybe more jackets by this stage given he got one this year now that he’s finally had a good injury free run at it.

Yea there's massive opportunity to poach young talent that haven't fully developed for cheap 2+ years later. But the key is to remain a contending club and an attractive destination.

I was of the view end of last year that we might be better served having a small dip in 2025/2026 before Tasmania comes in to have a mini rebuild like we did in 2004/2005. But that was before McGuane broke out as a high end 1st rounder potential and that we could now be in the frame to top up with Perryman and Houston and address our weak 25-28 year old talent. We just need to land Houston and then we should be in a position to continue challenging throughout this period.

yep, he's from the covid affected 2020 draft that we strategically went balls-deep in on, whilst Dekka had his random lottery number generator out by either 1 or 2 ..

1​
Jamarra Ugle-HaganWestern Bulldogs
2​
Riley ThilthorpeAdelaide
3​
Will PhillipsNorth Melbourne
4​
Logan McDonaldSydney
5​
Braeden CampbellSydney
6​
Denver Grainger-BarrasHawthorn
7​
Elijah HollandsGold Coast
8​
Nik CoxEssendon
9​
Archie PerkinsEssendon
10​
Zach ReidEssendon
11​
Luke PedlarAdelaide
12​
Tanner BruhnGreater Western Sydney
13​
Tom PowellNorth Melbourne
14​
Heath ChapmanFreemantle
15​
Conor StoneGreater Western Sydney
16​
Lachie JonesPort Adelaide
17​
Oliver HenryCollingwoodGUN but FAIL ('mommy')
18​
Ryan AngwinGreater Western Sydney
19​
Finlay MacraeCollingwoodFAIL
20​
Max HolmesGeelongGUN - Dekka pick out by 1
21​
Jake Bowey+Melbourne
22​
Bailey LaurieMelbourne
23​
Reef McInnesCollingwoodFAIL
24​
Blake ColemanBrisbane Lions
25​
Brayden CookAdelaide
26​
Matthew McLeod-AllisonSt Kilda
27​
Nathan O'Driscoll
28​
Sam BerryAdelaide
29​
Seamus MitchellHawthorn
30​
Caleb PoulterCollingwoodFAIL
31​
Liam McMahonCollingwoodFAIL
32​
Errol GuldenSydneyGUN - academy
33​
Shannon NealeGeelongGUN - Dekka pick out by 2
34​
Fraser RosmanMelbourne
35​
Connor DownieHawthorn
36​
Charlie LazzaroNorth Melbourne
37​
Corey DurdinCarlton
38​
James RoweAdelaide
39​
Josh EyreEssendonSSP pick start '24
40​
Samson RyanRichmond
41​
Jack CarrollCarlton
42​
Phoenix SpicerNorth Melbourne
43​
Harry Sharp
44​
Beau McCreeryCollingwoodGUN - Dekka pick out by 0
45​
Tom HighmoreSt Kilda
46​
Tyler BrockmanHawthorn
47​
Nick StevensGeelong
48​
Henry SmithBrisbane Lions
49​
Ollie LordPort AdelaidePart of Houston trade??
50​
Brandon WalkerFremantle
51​
Maurice Rioli Jr.Richmond
52​
Luke Edwards
53​
Cody BrandEssendon
54​
Joel WesternFremantle
55​
Dominic BedendoWestern Bulldogs
56​
Eddie FordNorth Melbournewhat are the chances?
57​
Isiah WinderWest Coast
58​
Cameron FleetonGreater Western Sydney
59​
Jacob WehrGreater Western Sydney

Holy hell, that's an awful draft crop.

I would think there will be some draft picks they have to trade for experienced players, like North's "assistance package".
I expect that the Tasmania list build will be similar to how GWS built their list which, as you say, will involve trading draft picks for experienced players (whether mandated by the AFL or not).

Tasmania as a location will be an interesting watch too. Like most places there'll be some players who are attracted to it, while others won't want to remain there.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back