List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa may have only been playing it cool, but his comments that the deal would be difficult and that Houston hasn't nominated us, is a bit of a worry. Seeming to emphasise that if we don't get it done we haven't failed to bring in a player we made a promise to.
Just Leppa being a bit deferential after the headline from his previous interview was how confident he was. Houston is still a Port player until he isn’t. Don’t want to Mackie the situation and piss off your negotiating partners.

Either Blues have well hidden their motives, or Houston was never an option for them. They have something to offer now but are still not doing it. I just don't think they could ever fit him in. Open to being wrong, but they never made a real push, meanwhile there has been a lot of Port/Pies/Suns discussion and they have gotten close to a deal.

If they do want to get in at this point they'd need to blow Port away with an offer, or our deal would need to fall over first. This seems unlikely as they could have been in discussions already, offering possible deals on the assumption they could get 14 or another pick, but they never did.
Agree to a point, just very hard to understand them not trying to bring him in. I mean how often does a quality player like Dan, who wants to come to your club do you turn away??

I feel like we've done this back to front. Talking tough is what we should've done with Schultz last year. If we missed out, it wouldn't have mattered as much as he's not an A-grader and we could've gone for him again this year as UFA.

Houston though is the best player since Buckley that wants to come to us. Contracted for another 3 years. You do whatever to get the deal done.
Seems like we might have had the wrong operator at the wrong time. I would hope that Leppa is just playing a straight media bat, and is as enthusiastic on getting Houston as many of us are

Just Leppa being a bit deferential after the headline from his previous interview was how confident he was. Houston is still a Port player until he isn’t. Don’t want to Mackie the situation and piss off your negotiating partners.
That's the more likely read, which is what I believe, was just throwing out an alternative that crossed my mind.

Either way I think we are in a good spot.

The other thing to consider is that our later picks (52 & 55) are likely to come in at least 8 or 9 spots once the bids for Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall come in and eat up a heap of picks in the 40’s.

Therefore, I would proceed as follows:

With Gold Coast

Trade F1 + Noble for Pick 13 + 23.

With Port

Ask Port if they would prefer Pick 13 + Richards OR Pick 22 (Sydney) + Pick 23 + Richards – Hopefully the latter.

Trade Pick 22 + Pick 23 + Richards (who I would value at Pick 40) to Port for Dan Houston.

We are then left with:

- Pick 19

- Pick 36

- Pick 52 (Likely 43)

- Pick 55 (Likely 45)

Overall Summary: Good balance of investing in the now and the future.

Players In

- Dan Houston

- Harry Perryman

Players Out

- Pick 19: Shannahan/Whitlocks

- Pick 36: Tom Gross/Cooper Hynes/ Christian Moraes

- Pick 52 (Likely 43): ?

- Pick 55 (Likely 45): ?

We also have the option of packaging up 36 + 52 + 55 or just 52 + 55 to get higher up the order (e.g. for Essendon's pick 31 (they need points for Kako) or Brisbane's Pick 32 (picks for Ashcroft/Marshall)).

Last edited:
2nd part - if we miss out on Houston, we miss out. It's a significant loss but we've made a call on the value of picks.
Port are entitle to ask for what they are ask for, we are entitled to say what parameters we won't pay.
Hopefully there will be a middle ground.

Bobby isn't really the same - you pay up when you're not mortgaging your future.
This is the part that would need to be questioned if it happened. Last year and this year, adding to our list immediately is a priority (especially with two players on the way out), bringing in draftees is also important. If the deal falls over we can discuss the balancing of that and whether we got it right. Bombers clearly got it wrong with Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a cold shower and now the clarity has returned.

Leppitsch is not to be underestimated.

We will get Houston and keep 23. We could throw a bone to Port and give them 52. Or a pick swap of 36 for 39.
Port only has 2 picks in this draft at 39 and 58. They need to get Lukoscious. So, they'll take 13 and try to turn that into 19 and 22 from the Swans and keep one of those.

I agree, I think le. One thing is for bloody certain, GC are the one stalling any potential deal.
I think it's us and Port arguing about who gets 23 and who gets 29.

Everyone will do well.

Here's what I think:

GC will get two future firsts some points for Lombard (our 36 and Ports 38), Lukosius's salary gone. Noble

Port will get 13, upgrade of 2nd round to 23/29, Lukosius and Richards

Us: Houston and upgrade of 2nd round pick to 23/29

Probably all gets settled with someone throwing in something small. GC - as I think they're benefiting the most

picks have different values to different clubs, maybe they’re targeting a particular player that they think will make them better, while the two picks they have might just bring in more of what they already have.

Giving up a first-rounder to move up five (!) spots in the teens… not the top ten… is batshit.

Either way I think we are in a good spot.

The other thing to consider is that our later picks (52 & 55) are likely to come in at least 8 or 9 spots once the bids for Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall come in and eat up a heap of picks in the 40’s.

Therefore, I would proceed as follows:

With Gold Coast

Trade F1 + Noble for Pick 13 + 23.

With Port

Ask Port if they would prefer Pick 13 + Richards OR Pick 22 (Sydney) + Pick 23 + Richards – Hopefully the latter.

Trade Pick 22 + Pick 23 + Richards (who I would value at Pick 40) to Port for Dan Houston.

We are then left with:

- Pick 19

- Pick 36

- Pick 52 (Likely 43)

- Pick 55 (Likely 45)

Overall Summary: Good balance of investing in the now and the future.

Players In

- Dan Houston

- Harry Perryman

Players Out

- Pick 19: Shannahan/Whitlocks

- Pick 36: Tom Gross/Cooper Hynes/ Christian Moraes

- Pick 52 (Likely 43): ?

- Pick 55 (Likely 45): ?

We also have the option of packing up 36 + 52 + 55 or just 52 + 55 to get higher up the order.
How are we getting 22?

Also I believe gold Coast are saying no to the deal you mentioned. They don't want to give 23.

picks have different values to different clubs, maybe they’re targeting a particular player that they think will make them better, while the two picks they have might just bring in more of what they already have.
Northern Academy Clubs may also prefer future picks for highly rated 17 year olds

Or if we can grab pick 13 and 23 (send back 36 if GC needs the points), and trade with the Swans for pick 19 and 22.

We then go to the draft with 19, 22, 23, 52 and 55.

Worst case scenario. But obviously, Houston would be nice with pick 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back