List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith may look at the hawks as an up and coming side but they are still 50/50 to make finals this year.

The cats are going backwards at a rate of knots. Their midfield is full of B graders and they dont have a ruckman. If he goes there its for the money.

Or he could play with 2 x Daicos, Crisp, Pendles and Degoey and be a chance of another flag.

Having said that I'd chase LDU before Smith.
I'm inclined to agree, if onfield success is what Smith is after, he'd choose Hawks over Cats on current form. I don't see where we have anything to trade with to get him into the club.

I agree, I'd prefer we go for LDU next year..and a young kpf to develop this year..& maybe an defender, like Battle for example. They'd be my priorities.

Last edited:
Parker is probably the most likely to take over Tay’s role when he does come back in. Heeney, Chad, Rowbum, Errol is an elite midfield and he’s not breaking into that. Mills when he comes back will probably be deployed to defence

And so much for Tay being full time mid there, he’s playing the same role he did at the Pies, HFF with some CBAs.
I think come finals one of Tay, Mills, Parker will be running through the square,, with Ohh Errol mainly on a wing.

People never noticed but Adams had a bit of speed from stoppage. Sullivan is very slow and can't get clear. Granted Sullys kicks look okay and better than Adams. But the rest of Adam's game was at least as good if not better.
I think it was sr36 that highlighted early last year, but he’s got quick feet unlike Sullivan so he can get out of traffic quickly to find space for teammates. The two downers I have on him and why I was ok in letting him leave is the incessant need to take on options that are way above his skill set (the dude thinks he’s a Daicos by foot at times) and his propensity to get injured at crucial times.

I'm inclined to agree, if onfield success is what Smith is after, he'd choose Hawks over Cats on current form. I don't see where we have anything to trade with to get him into the club.

I agree, I'd prefer we go for LDU next year..and a young kpf to develop this year..& maybe an defender, like Battle for example. They'd be my priorities.
Lifestyle considerations also a factor when it comes to Hawks v Cats. As much as the Surf coast lifestyle might get talked up, for a city kid in his early 20s who grew up in the leafy South East, Geelong is a very different place. Which, relatively speaking, might not be that attractive.

Just like the general populace.

Hawks could appeal to him, he was a mad hawks fan growing up. Idolised Mitchell. They are up and coming --unfortunaely, so they are a much better prospect than they were a few years back.

If he wants out of melb, be the man in the midfield and with his cotton on sponorship, geelong would appeal.

I think it was sr36 that highlighted early last year, but he’s got quick feet unlike Sullivan so he can get out of traffic quickly to find space for teammates. The two downers I have on him and why I was ok in letting him leave is the incessant need to take on options that are way above his skill set (the dude thinks he’s a Daicos by foot at times) and his propensity to get injured at crucial times.
Doubt it was me. I view Adams' strength in that regard to be purely aggression and going flat out at everything, which probably makes him move faster in those situations, rather than a physical thing.

I think he was a big loss and really good for us last year. That role suits him. His time on ball was even more aggressive and his kicking is a bigger issue around the ground. He's pretty good at lowering the eyes and hitting an easier target going inside 50. I think his retention rate would be pretty good going into 50

So what draft picks do we actually have available to trade? Ppl saying we won’t get Smith because we don’t have any picks to trade doesn’t make sense to me

So what draft picks do we actually have available to trade? Ppl saying we won’t get Smith because we don’t have any picks to trade doesn’t make sense to me
our earliest pick this year is hawks 2nd rounder

they are making it so you can trade 2 years in a row, but dogs will demand a future 1st given they dont have one. His manager would know this and would advise him otherwise.
We also have interest in talls in the draft, and need to be mindful of next years bid for mcguane.

On gettable Cal and riley again spoke that geelong and hawks are favs, with pies a long long way back in third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what they currently are, but can change dependent on ladder positions.

View attachment 2030703View attachment 2030705
Plus a full suite of 2025 and soon to be 2026 picks. We then also have the ability to take on a Macrae or Lobb to ease their cap pressures or trade one of our own to get further collateral ala Ginnivan last year. Anyone suggesting we don’t/ can’t/ won’t get it done trade wise is out of the loop, IMO. It’s winning hearts and minds that really matters and the rest will take care of itself.

Plus a full suite of 2025 and soon to be 2026 picks. We then also have the ability to take on a Macrae or Lobb to ease their cap pressures or trade one of our own to get further collateral ala Ginnivan last year. Anyone suggesting we don’t/ can’t/ won’t get it done trade wise is out of the loop, IMO. It’s winning hearts and minds that really matters and the rest will take care of itself.
I personally hope we keep those future picks for McGuane & someone like LDU the year after.

Much prefer we pick up a young kpf & maybe established defender in this year's draft.

If Smith has a preference for Hawks or Cats, it doesn't really matter what we want.

I personally hope we keep those future picks for McGuane & someone like LDU the year after.

Much prefer we pick up a young kpf & maybe established defender in this year's draft.

If Smith has a preference for Hawks or Cats, it doesn't really matter what we want.
This is the guts of it, but my point is more to suggest that if he wants us it’ll happen.

I’m not to fussed re McGuane again if we don’t have the picks we’ll find them. LDU is next year as a FA or we don’t get him so from my perspective largely irrelevant to a trade collateral discussion.

I probably lean toward an established KPD myself like Barrass, but I’m under no illusion that it presents the same “issues” as Smith. For all the amazing work we’ve done behind the ball since 2022 we remain susceptible to teams with tall forwards when it’s not coming in on our terms. Barrass or someone like him wouldn’t necessarily solve that issue, but would make life much easier, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back