List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the HINE debate is everyone is focussed on confirmation bias, only using players/picks that support their opinion, ignoring everything else.

You’d have to go through all clubs trades, drafts, picks used to get an objective view.

And ain’t nobody got time for that.

I wish we had more developing KPP, but I also understand the lack of picks he’s had to get them

I do like Hine’s understudy who is at Melbourne.

Not saying we replace Hine, but if that was the decision I’d be happy to open up the conversation with him.
Agree. Jason Taylor would be good

Of if we are obsessed with retaining Hine bolster his assistants with someone who knows how to spot a good young tall prospect

Dalrymple was there for taking 12 months ago. Saints snipped him though
Plenty of other good ones out there. Sydney have shifted Kinnear Beatson sideways - why not offer him a big deal? Proven gun
Dalrymple is up there. Would be top 3 imo.

If Hine goes (I wouldn’t be surprised if Tassie looms) we need to replace him with someone greater or equal, we cant afford to stuff up the next regen when it happens.

Dalrymple is up there. Would be top 3 imo.

If Hine goes (I wouldn’t be surprised if Tassie looms) we need to replace him with someone greater or equal, we cant afford to stuff up the next regen when it happens.
Tassie will have a heap of picks - other clubs left to rake through the leftovers

We pretty much built that premiership side around great picks in 05, 08, 14
  • Had some gifts: Moore / Daicos bros / Q
  • Brilliant coaching

We don't need to get rid of Hine - what we need to do is stop giving away 1st rounds, especially future firsts for players that aren't the best of the best - esp gun mids and KPP.

If anyone wants too bemoan why we don't have any young talent coming through
  • Grundy falls to us (then fail to trade him for 2x 1sts, instead, destroying our cap, losing him for peanuts, forcing the trading of other players for very little)
  • Kennedy + Broomhead
There wasn't much talent in this draft
Kennedy's chances of success (IMO) were destroyed by his constant selection as sub

- Picks 6+11
We lose Daisy
Shaz + Freeman FMD

- JDG / Moore (gift) / Bruz
+ Greenwood and Crisp
Brilliant

* 2015 + 2016
- Traded out 2x pick 7s

- Stephenson
Pick nearly gets us premiership
then wtf happened?

* 2018+2019
- Traded out both first rounders and got Q
At our picks
- Bobby / Schultz!!
- Georgiadis / SDK / Gould / Worrell / Warner etc

• Ollie at 17, traded for very little
  • Finn at 19 (Holmes at 20)
  • Pick 2 2021

• Pick 2: Callaghan etc (everyone except JHF)
  • Naicos (gift)

Fantastic trading
  • Allan at 18 (still to be seen if other players such as Gruzewski / George etc better)
  • Ryan at 26

- Haz (still to be seen if Morris / Reid et al better)
But stop reading out "top of the list" when it doesn't suit team balance or potential future success.
Good luck to Has, let's all support him, hope he has a long career with us, but that doesn't justify or excuse the strategy.

It seems clear when we have really high picks we nail them...so do you think we could hang onto a few - or at the least, use them for some guns to support Nick?!

Is Hine the best recruiter in the AFL? If yes then of course we would be silly to get rid of him.

However, if Hine is not the best then we should be after who is.

Last edited:
Yes please give me all the big FAs that perennial strugglers like North, St Kilda and GC have managed to attract.

You've got it completely the wrong way round. FAs leave bottom teams to go to top contending clubs. Bottom teams let their gun players leave in FA because they potentially get a extremely high draft pick compo.

Which reminds me of another one I missed with Hawthorn in their dominant era getting Frawley as FA from a cellar dwelling Melbourne at the time. Again better calibre than anyone we've managed to get in FA. So unless you can come up with some examples, stop with your spin.
they also got Brian lake, Big boy Mcevoy, Shaun Burgoyne, Gunston and hale. Very good recruiting.

We pretty much built that premiership side around great picks in 05, 08, 14
  • Had some gifts: Moore / Daicos bros / Q
  • Brilliant coaching

We don't need to get rid of Hine - what we need to do is stop giving away 1st rounds, especially future firsts for players that aren't the best of the best - esp gun mids and KPP.

If anyone wants too bemoan why we don't have any young talent coming through
  • Grundy falls to us (then fail to trade him for 2x 1sts, instead, destroying our cap, losing him for peanuts, forcing the trading of other players for very little)
  • Kennedy + Broomhead
There wasn't much talent in this draft
Kennedy's chances of success (IMO) were destroyed by his constant selection as sub

- Picks 6+11
We lose Daisy
Shaz + Freeman FMD

- JDG / Moore (gift) / Bruz
+ Greenwood and Crisp
Brilliant

* 2015 + 2016
- Traded out 2x pick 7s

- Stephenson
Pick nearly gets us premiership
then wtf happened?

* 2018+2019
- Traded out both first rounders and got Q
At our picks
- Bobby / Schultz!!
- Georgiadis / SDK / Gould / Worrell / Warner etc

• Ollie at 17, traded for very little
  • Finn at 19 (Holmes at 20)
  • Pick 2 2021

• Pick 2: Callaghan etc (everyone except JHF)
  • Naicos (gift)

Fantastic trading
  • Allan at 18 (still to be seen if other players such as Gruzewski / George etc better)
  • Ryan at 26

- Haz (still to be seen if Morris / Reid et al better)
But stop reading out "top of the list" when it doesn't suit team balance or potential future success.
Good luck to Has, let's all support him, hope he has a long career with us, but that doesn't justify or excuse the strategy.

It seems clear when we have really high picks we nail them...so do you think we could hang onto a few - or at the least, use them for some guns to support Nick?!
In "HINE"sight lol that 2013 and 15 drafts could have set us up to be a dynasty team with multiple flags, imagine if we could have added Cripps 2013 and Curnow in 2015 to our list. Added bonus of making Carlton cellar dwellers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Josh Treacy went in the Rookie draft.

And we picked McMahon and Poulter before him.

This is the part I can't quite get my head around.

We were prepared to take a risk on Mason Cox - zero AFL in his life. But because of his height we're willing to give him an opportunity (yes I get he is cheap).

Why are we not willing to give the same opportunity to other 200cm style forwards that have more exposed form at lower levels? Surely given an opportunity they could also develop?

Do we not truly believe in that style of forward?

As I expected- you just have a hollow opinion with no facts to support it.
So it’s just pure bias.
Hine has Flags,PF and finals on his resume - that are the envy of other recruiters.
If you care to read through today’s posts I have named 3 or 4 already Just because you don’t know any recruiters other than Hine, doesn’t mean I don’t. Or that he is the only one for us

We were prepared to take a risk on Mason Cox - zero AFL in his life. But because of his height we're willing to give him an opportunity (yes I get he is cheap).

Why are we not willing to give the same opportunity to other 200cm style forwards that have more exposed form at lower levels? Surely given an opportunity they could also develop?

I guess our recruiting team arent a good judge of talls.

As I expected- you just have a hollow opinion with no facts to support it.
So it’s just pure bias.
Hine has Flags,PF and finals on his resume - that are the envy of other recruiters.
I'm not anti-Hine - however, I'd say the flags etc are primarily on the coaches & players CVs rather than the recruiter's CV who, I imagine, has no role in training, game plan etc

And Luke Ball

It might also be that Cox would’ve been a category b rookie and there is some sort of benefit with that?

If you care to read through today’s posts I have named 3 or 4 already Just because you don’t know any recruiters other than Hine, doesn’t mean I don’t. Or that he is the only one for us
you offered 2 - Dalrymple and Beatson who Swans clearly now think is passed it.
And you agreed with with Soreplums about Jason Taylor.
None of these recruiters have a superior record to Hines, that would justify replacing him.

You want change for change sake.
Now I'll wait for your other 7.

I'm not anti-Hine - however, I'd say the flags etc are primarily on the coaches & players CVs rather than the recruiter's CV who, I imagine, has no role in training, game plan etc
how do you win a flag without the cattle?
Surely you're not saying recruiters have no role in the success of a Club.

you offered 2 - Dalrymple and Beatson who Swans clearly now think is passed it.
And you agreed with with Soreplums about Jason Taylor.
None of these recruiters have a superior record to Hines, that would justify replacing him.

You want change for change sake.
Now I'll wait for your other 7.
I want change because our drafting record in last 10 years is sub standard. Stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back