List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly I meant the trade screwed us from a draft capital and trading position perspective.

The fact that we came within a kick of a Flag in 2018 and within a kick of a GF in 2022 and won the Flag in 2023 is a brilliant thing for Pies fans.

But to come back with that as a retort for the outcome of the Beams return trade and what it cost us trade and draft wise... that's apples and oranges. Unless you were suggesting that the successes of 2018, 2022 and 2023 were a result of the Beams trade... which I don't think you were?

I rest my case.
No of course not, and the success of 2018 isn't applicable given we traded for him in that offseason after.

List management teams make mistakes, this was clearly just not one that significantly hamstrung this side's ability to assemble a premiership-winning potential for the 5 years you said. Grundy/Treloar contract fiascos are the sort of mistakes that cost you premierships if not aggressively navigated out of.

I thought we had a lot of cap space that we had been going to use to bring in UFAs?
When did this change?

FMD
This is beyond infuriating
  • under the previous regime our mismanagement of the salary cap was legendary.
  • under the previous regime if there was 'space' in the cap, it wouldn't have been too unusual for ed to quote the actual number in order to boost his media ratings ('exaggerated for effect')
  • hopefully, those days are well & truly behind us.
  • hopefully, the 'status' of our cap continues to be an absolute mystery to all & sundry with the exception of only a handful of very senior personnel at the club
  • hopefully, media & player agents etc remain 'none the wiser' and the 'external narrative' continues to be that our cap is forever 'at' or near capacity ..no need for player agents to have any more leverage than they already have

I'm not overly excited about signing Keane, but think he's a good fit for our system. Has the pace and mobility and can play the Murphy role as a glue defender. Frampton has never really worked as anything but a fill in as a defender.

Because Keane, unlike Frampton, fits our defensive system he's one that could surprise and perform better than expected.

Definitely good for our list profile to add a 24 year old taller defender.

Except it shows that they have no choice but to trade him, which drives down the price that suitors would be willing to pay. MFC is unwittingly turning this into a fire sale.

I really think a first rounder and steak knives will get this done, especially given the wage bill being taken on. Our future first plus Lipinski & McInnes?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Or future first and this year’s second rounder from Hawthorn or the second rounder from the Gold Coast we’re getting for Noble? Take all his wage but backload it after 2025 because it’s likely Pendles, Howe, Sidey and Mitchell will all be off the books by 2026 plus we’ll no longer be contributing to Treloar’s salary

I'm not overly excited about signing Keane, but think he's a good fit for our system. Has the pace and mobility and can play the Murphy role as a glue defender. Frampton has never really worked as anything but a fill in as a defender.

Because Keane, unlike Frampton, fits our defensive system he's one that could surprise and perform better than expected.

Definitely good for our list profile to add a 24 year old taller defender.
I dont want Keane unless for free(which wont happen). He is a flight risk and a flight risk in a way we would get absolutely nothing in return.

If I am Gold Coast I am keeping 6.

13 for Rioli (pointless pick Lombard) and 26 with points back for Lombard.

20 for Noble. I think we should try for another upgrade pick 34 with points back for Lombard. Pick 20 being the bare minimum.

Tigers should target 6 and us 13.

Hopefully Noble finishes 3rd in our b and f which was possible mid season but guessing no longer.

Other option for us is to target 14 from Brisbane with picks back for Ashcroft They were interested as a replacement for Zorko earlier in year.

Gotta love how our salary cap is apparently always at max while other clubs can throw massive contracts at average players.
Not sure it would be wise to publicly broadcast to the world (& managers) how much money we have to spare.

It's not hard to work out we're doing fine in that department & will be better off once Treloar is paid off & other players retire.

It will be amusing (and looks increasingly likely) if neither Collingwood nor Carlton can come up with a suitable deal to satisfy the Dees.

The relationship between MFC and Trac looks completely shot, so they’ll likely have no choice other than to ship him off to the best offer from the remaining Melbourne clubs. If that’s the case, Petracca’s gonna be wearing the yellow and black and playing to avoid the wooden spoon. At least nobody will be taking Brownlow votes off him at Tigerland.

Regardless, I’m not that fussed. I’m all in on us getting Houston and Peatling. They’ll add more, for less, for longer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is no surprise that any Petracca deal is unrealistic for us.
It's always talked up that everyone wants to come and play at Collingwood, but we never really land the big fish, either by our own hand, by not being able to accommodate a move or the player just opting to join another club eg. Lynch (at his prime version)....
Looks like this upcoming trade window we miss out on the Smith's , the Battle's and even the Petracca's....
Looks like we're the moneyball club, and get those role players to fulfil a need for a period of time and I can't believe our cap could still be an issue for us in getting players to our club...
Anyway we did win a premiership, and have picked up the likes of Hill, McStay (free agent), Mitchell, Lippa and Schultz in recent times...So the moneyball trading works for us, l guess....

Last edited:
Gotta love how our salary cap is apparently always at max while other clubs can throw massive contracts at average players.
Gives me the shits every year hearing teams like Carlton that throw around 7 year/$900,000 contracts to every campaigner seemingly have cash to spare and we're forever maxed out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I am Gold Coast I am keeping 6.

13 for Rioli (pointless pick Lombard) and 26 with points back for Lombard.

20 for Noble. I think we should try for another upgrade pick 34 with points back for Lombard. Pick 20 being the bare minimum.

Tigers should target 6 and us 13.

Hopefully Noble finishes 3rd in our b and f which was possible mid season but guessing no longer.

Other option for us is to target 14 from Brisbane with picks back for Ashcroft They were interested as a replacement for Zorko earlier in year.

Maybe we aim for 20 and 26 from the Suns for Noble and pick 33
I think the Tigs will want 6 and 13 for Rioli with something else going back to the Suns with Rioli...

Gives me the shits every year hearing teams like Carlton that throw around 7 year/$900,000 contracts to every campaigner seemingly have cash to spare and we're forever maxed out
This year, it's probably more media narrative than reality.

Surely all these senior players are giving the club a discount at this point.

Sorry to see that Noble might be on the way out. We don't have another ready defender who is a volume user with pace and line breaking ability (ok we may have one, but he's needed elsewhere), but have some options to fill the role in likely a different way.

Good thing we didn't drop him late in the year again! If he does go it's another chance to go younger. Turning 28 next year so I think it's a good thing to make that move.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back