List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't say that I understand the power of the Manager over clubs, but talking him off the ledge might be harder than talking him around to North or a different small Vic club in the likely event that Pies or Blues can't or don't stump up enough.
I didn’t understand for a while either, but something’s changed in the last decade. It’s become more and more apparent when you read and hear talk of them getting involved in the trade and the management guiding the player on what’s best for their career.

I’ll give 1000-1 odds of a minnow club landing him. There’s a reason Carlton and Collingwood are the only clubs being discussed in the media. That’s coming from the Petracca camp either directly or indirectly through the Dees.

What you're describing is MFC terminating Petracca's contract, which is effectively a de-listing. In that case, they get zero at the trade table and only save the wages bill. MFC supporters would burn the place to the ground if that happened.

No, not terminating his contract at all. They just don't pay any share of his remaining contract, and have his destination club pay 100% of it. The only thing this would do is they would have to take less in a trade, but they get his contract off their books and frees up alot of cap space.

haha not sure
Maybe I wonder if something to do with trying to get some family to come down more often to help support them. Having 4 month baby with no family around would be tough.
I think Lions did the same with Lachie Neale and his wife a couple years ago.

Kosi has some family here. His younger sister attends my daughters (they are friends) high school and I believe he has a brother (could be just a mate) here as well, as they (Kosi and his brother) shop at my local woolies.

However, he has around 6 or 7 siblings some of which are in Adelaide and some in Perth.

How do we expect to navigate this trade period without a CEO, footy director and president that is on his way out…

We do have a CEO, we do have a president and we're searching for a new GM. The trade period starts October 7th, so we may have an appointment by then, but not that it's a factor either way.

Macrae? Demattia? Our issue for so many years has been we have too many midfielders than we know what to do with. Sullivan and Long have been quite good in their roles as well so they will be up and coming as well. As for Bytel well I really have no idea why he's playing, must have some dirt on McRae is my best guess.
You can’t be serious? Macrae isn’t up to AFL standard and likely never will be, and Demattia is still miles off being relevant.

Sullivan and Long are more likely to be delisted than regarded ur coaches as up and coming. Come on man, be real here.

How do we expect to navigate this trade period without a CEO, footy director and president that is on his way out…
Given that the President and CEO have nothing to do with list management, I think we’ll be ok.

No, not terminating his contract at all. They just don't pay any share of his remaining contract, and have his destination club pay 100% of it. The only thing this would do is they would have to take less in a trade, but they get his contract off their books and frees up alot of cap space.
So a normal trade, but with more words. And fwiw, no they wouldn’t be accepting less in a trade just because they’re not paying some of his salary, this isn’t a salary dump.

I didn’t understand for a while either, but something’s changed in the last decade. It’s become more and more apparent when you read and hear talk of them getting involved in the trade and the management guiding the player on what’s best for their career.

I’ll give 1000-1 odds of a minnow club landing him. There’s a reason Carlton and Collingwood are the only clubs being discussed in the media. That’s coming from the Petracca camp either directly or indirectly through the Dees.
If it gets to or is already at the point of no return, and Collingwood/Carlton aren't in the ball park of what's needed to get the deal done, what do you do if you're the Petracca camp? Other clubs might start looking attractive.

it's Melbourne

they'd ask the nanny to get some firestarters from the servo when she fills up the Rangey

them they'd watch a travel doco on Sicily and forget about the arson

Funnily enough, I’m just back from a Sicilian holiday. I can highly recommend! No Rangeys or Nannies here though!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So in other words, just a normal trade process? I really don’t understand your original point. Trade him with subsidised contract, get more at trade table. Trade him with no subsidisation, have to accept less at trade table. Isn’t that how it always works?

As soon as the club starts asking some of our players if they’d be open to being traded, it starts to eat away at our culture we’ve worked so hard to create under Fly.
If they do agree and leave, the players that remain will be unsettled. If all refuse to be traded, they remain and are unsettled - this will have a ripple effect on the playing group.
In a perfect world it’s fine but it’s a dangerous path to go down.

100%!

I’m concerned about damaging team bonds/culture by leaning on players to seek a trade, in order to generate picks in pursuit of Petracca, who may not even come across to us or may not be the player he was previously.

I’d much rather target youngsters like Peatling, Davies, McGuane next year, etc.

If it gets to or is already at the point of no return, and Collingwood/Carlton aren't in the ball park of what's needed to get the deal done, what do you do if you're the Petracca camp? Other clubs might start looking attractive.
This is a really circuitous discussion that your playing devils advocate on so this’ll be the last from me. The only answer is it either won’t get that far or Melbourne cave. HE WILL NOT BE AT A MINNOW CLUB IN 2025.

I think the sensible view is to probably look at guys like Peatling, Hobbs, Keane and bring them into the club for low draft capital.

However, I think there is a real opportunity to look at Dan Houston, particularly with the Noble trade request. We are razor thin for proven half back types. I know most will be against trading out next year round 1 selection, but could we get 20 from GC and package that with our future 1st for Houston?

If McGuane is as good as being reported (top 10 pick), I think this is a move that makes sense.
surly cant consider a future first for huston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you're describing is MFC terminating Petracca's contract, which is effectively a de-listing. In that case, they get zero at the trade table and only save the wages bill. MFC supporters would burn the place to the ground if that happened.
There’s more culture in a bottle of yakult than at the Melbourne football club, the hardest part about the petracca situation is even if you find someone with suitable capital to trade, convincing them to play at Melbourne is the next issue.

This is a really circuitous discussion that your playing devils advocate on so this’ll be the last from me. The only answer is it either won’t get that far or Melbourne cave. HE WILL NOT BE AT A MINNOW CLUB IN 2025.
We'll see, but I think you're overconfident on this. Clubs don't usually cave with contracted players. That has been the recent standard with a fair few contracted guys not getting their requested trades, so I'm not convinced Melbourne would cave on trade return before Petracca caves on choice of club - if he's adamant about not returning to the Dees. Trading him to the blues or pies for unders would just be so unpalatable for dees fans - I can't see that getting done. Heads would roll.

Last edited:
I think the sensible view is to probably look at guys like Peatling, Hobbs, Keane and bring them into the club for low draft capital.

However, I think there is a real opportunity to look at Dan Houston, particularly with the Noble trade request. We are razor thin for proven half back types. I know most will be against trading out next year round 1 selection, but could we get 20 from GC and package that with our future 1st for Houston?

If McGuane is as good as being reported (top 10 pick), I think this is a move that makes sense.
You make some sense, however, if we trade next year’s 1st round pick, can almost guarantee we will end the season bottom 3. Seems the way it goes for us.

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun
·
Follow
Could Petracca access the grievance tribunal to get out of MFC? Some industry figures believe he might have a case. His camp has considered using it before even in a very different circumstance. They will hope it isn’t needed. With @ClarkyHeraldSun https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/christian-petracca-opens-up-on-his-surgery-and-recovery-as-dees-shut-down-carlton-trade-speculation/news-story/77dfb530456a828722f96bfeb5141854…
7:04 AM · Aug 28, 2024
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1828539121947812295|twgr^61feb671f1d7d20db43c37952d2bb1cd6fc5eb2e|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://au.sports.yahoo.com/christian-petracca-could-turn-to-never-before-seen-act-to-force-exit-from-melbourne-demons-025543063.html&tweet_id=1828539121947812295
So turns out there is a mechanism for petracca to get out of his contract on the grounds of breaching duty of care. I would take the word of lawyers who advised paddy Ryder of that option over the word of posters who are supposedly lawyers.
So Ralphy considers that we nuffies on the Pies BF forum are ‘industry figures’.

One of those interesting situations where all the parties in a potential negotiation have weak hands, so there will only be a deal if dead rats are swallowed. Melbourne is weak because they have alienated their player. Petracca because he is contracted but wants out. Carlton and Collingwood because they have limited trade capital.
If Petracca is dreally determined to get out he might have to be the first to chow down. His salary would seem give him room for compromise (or maybe a bit of creativity) without seriously damaging his financial welfare in the long term. He's not that different to anybody who wants to leave a job or employer they've fallen out with -- sometimes the compromise of a lower salary in the short term is acceptable.
Collingwood might be the least weak party because (similarly to Carlton) we can choose to do nothing and that would be risk-free. Bracket that with (the rumour that) we are Petracca's preference and we're in a slightly better spot than Carlton.
For that reason I won't be surprised if Petracca ends up with us.

I agree. The compromise though won’t be to go to a minnow club so throwing North out there has to be a joke. There seems to me to be only three real options available to him Melbourne, Carlton or Collingwood. I’m still firmly in the camp that he’ll be at the Dees in 2025 and gone in 2026, but Carlton seems the more likely destination to me.

Unfortunately the more time you get to ponder it all the more he feels like a poisoned chalice anyway. Melbourne are now on a hiding to nothing keeping him, Carlton will have to blow their structure up to accommodate him and we don’t have the trade currency without some crazy creativity. In any scenario though the closest he gets to Arden St outside his Marvel matches is his coffee date in Derrimut!
Make no mistake, Trac will be at the scum. He won’t be able to resist the temptation to be able to punch owies whenever he sees fit without being reported

We'll see, but I think you're overconfident on this. Clubs don't usually cave with contracted players. That has been the recent standard with a fair few contracted guys not getting their requested trades, so I'm not convinced Melbourne would cave on trade return before Petracca caves on choice of club - if he's adamant about not returning to the Dees. Trading him to the blues or pies for unders would just be so unpalatable for dees fans - I can't see that getting done. Heads would roll.
Why don’t we at least make it interesting and commit to an outcome if a trade goes ahead? I’m happy to have a slab on it for whoever gets it right because the obvious favourite in that case is neither of us are close.

IMO, Connor’s Sports are currently working with Collingwood and Carlton on what the best deal they can offer up is (hence no public comment because they haven’t landed on a position). In two weeks time once Carlton are eliminated from the finals I think we’ll get an announcement that Petracca wants to be traded to Carlton. Between then and the start of trade week Carlton go to work on their player. The crux of a deal is then McKay because they need that forward of centre mid much more than a 2nd KPF with TDK, Kemp and Silvagni as their alternatives.

Well obviously he is better but how do we fit all these players into the team? I just see no real plan behind it, just going for the big fish for the sake of it.
There would be no place for Mitchell with Petracca in the side. The other midfielders are all capable of playing multiple positions. It is an upgrade, significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back