List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

So in one day, despite having a whole 2 weeks, we're attempting to get deals done for:

- WHE
- Cloke
- Williams
- Frost
- Witts

Seriously? 2 weeks and they decide to leave all that to the last minute?

Good lord.

If you hang on to stale or average players, you end up like Richmond.

That's the glass half empty approach, you show them some loyalty (In this case i'm referring to Marley) back them in a hope they will repay you. We all know Marley has got some talent and plenty to work with.

Richmond stuck with Dustin Martin despite all his off field issues and now I would consider him to be in the top 10 players in the AFL.

He does and it's the main reason I included him because I'm a big believer in the smoke meaning fire theory. The other option being Black, but I think we'll go tall with our first live pick making him unlikely on top of Mayne.

I'd like the club to find an avenue to upgrade picks and I expect we'll see it late once the player deals are done, but overall I get the sense the priority this off-season is about an uplift in skill. Have we targeted enough quality? Probably not, but our moves in 2017 will be largely dependent on the effectiveness of the renewed FD.
Been very obvious IMO - and not before time

D'Orazio is just an ex-journalism student who runs Paul Connors' coffee, so don't take too much stock out of his mouth. Good bloke but don't read too much into what he puts out on radio.

With 5 hours to go are we looking at:
OUT: Swan, MacAffer, Toovey, Brown, Goodyear, Cloke, Witts, Williams, Frost and Marsh
IN: Wells, Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn, Daicos, Brown, Cox updgrade, Smith upgrade and two more selections at the draft?

So in one day, despite having a whole 2 weeks, we're attempting to get deals done for:

- WHE
- Cloke
- Williams
- Frost
- Witts

Good lord.
You forgot Dunn. Attempting six trades in five hours!!! Strong change we'll run out of time to get all our planned trades completed, especially when WHE and Witts trades are with GWS and GC, who have much more important deals (in their eyes) to complete for Deledio and JOM, before focusing on trades for trivial fringe players. Serious risk of egg on face for our trade team today.

Now to me this isn't a good thing! Imagine going to work knowing they could move you on at any time...... I've worked in a place like this where they would sugar coat that a staff member is moving on to another job, however we would find out later they were pushed out. This really doesn't create a great culture and again we are seeing a huge turnover of players. I can't help but feel frustrated with the club....
Usually you'd also find out later, why they were moved. People don't get moved on if they are good at their job and comply with their employers code of conduct.

I've seen the same thing and you get the speal, thanks for your service blah blah only to find out that got paid out, just to get rid of them because they were known poor performers. That's life though. If you're poor at your job are you entitled to keep your job ? Not in my opinion. You get a chance to lift your performance, if not, cya later. That's how you run a successful business.

What if O'meara refuses to go to Essendon and puts a price on his head ala Luke Ball?
My guess is he goes into the ND and puts a price on his head and puts a subtle message out there to the competition not to pick him in such a way as to not be in breach of the draft rules. Hawthorn then pick him up with their no. 10 pick.

- WHE
- Cloke
- Williams
- Frost
- Witts

Good lord.

A little familiar isn't it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please remember they are only to be started when they are confirmed by the AFL or Collingwood.
Also, no " more to come" we prefer quality, not quantity.
I am not on Twitter so I be bit behind

Wonder if we would potentially gamble (please, as if we would do that) and deal with Gold Coast. They want players, we give them De Goey/Fasolo + Witts + Oxley/Goldsack/Greenwood and then some pick swapping or give them our second for pick 6/4/8 (which ever ones gold coast have). Then we either A pick O'meara up in the draft, or take a top 10 pick and take whichever the best KPP is at the time available in the draft.

Yes we.might miss out on a diacos or brown but big deal I'm taking O'meara or a top 10 pick over them anyway! All players listed are best 22 players for gold.coast and players we can afford to lose. This is completely dependant on Omeara not getting done to Hawks and we deal with Gold Coast at around 1-1:30 to make sure it doesn't.
That would be absolutely crazy in my view. De Goey and Fasolo are no goes for good reason.

You forgot Dunn. Attempting six trades in five hours!!! Strong change we'll run out of time to get all our planned trades completed, especially when WHE and Witts trades are with GWS and GC, who have much more important deals (in their eyes) to complete for Deledio and JOM, before focusing on trades for trivial fringe players. Serious risk of egg on face for our trade team today.

Gault a likely out to cancels out Dunn. So should still be 2 x live picks outside F/S selections. Do we even need to upgrade Cox/Smith?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My dream scenario today is a trade into the first round. I think that ship has sailed though.

I think we need to secure WHE, which I'm now concerned about considering GWS are going to be busy arranging the Deledio deal.

If we can come out of today having upgraded our 2nd round pick, having a few more top 50 picks, and securing WHE, it will be a decent result.

I would just love at least 2 second rounders, or ultimately a first rounder (at the expense of the 2nd rounders).

Good luck today Hiney.
Not sure why you're concerned re: WHE. GWS will give pick 15 for him happily and Richmond will grab it with both hands. And with Delidio on board, GWS aren't going to stuff around with WHE. They need him off their books. It's incredibly unlikely that they're going to spend a long time haggling over his worth. He's worth more to them gone at this point than the maximum value pick they could possibly get for him.

I think the fact witts picked GC has really slowed us up. GC have had their hands full, and witts is realistically our most valuable commodity we are trading. Until were, it's hard to finalise other deals.

Let's hope JOM goes down quickly today....otherwise we may just have to move on our other trades

Not sure why you're concerned re: WHE. GWS will give pick 15 for him happily and Richmond will grab it with both hands. And with Delidio on board, GWS aren't going to stuff around with WHE. They need him off their books. It's incredibly unlikely that they're going to spend a long time haggling over his worth. He's worth more to them gone at this point than the maximum value pick they could possibly get for him.

I hope so. WHE is the one I'm most keen on. Our other recruits are old short term fixes. WHE is the only one with real potential going forward. The trade week is a fail if we don't secure some young talent.

That's the glass half empty approach, you show them some loyalty (In this case i'm referring to Marley) back them in a hope they will repay you. We all know Marley has got some talent and plenty to work with.

Richmond stuck with Dustin Martin despite all his off field issues and now I would consider him to be in the top 10 players in the AFL.

Got the feeling there is something else going on, Marley had a poor year but injury will do that to form and confidence, the year before he was being talked about for AA selection for a while there.
Surely all things being equal you would persist with a player who has really shown they can be a really strong contributor to the side.

That's not entirely true. Richmond and Dusty were forced to stick with each other because the last time he came out of contract nobody wanted him. Eerily similar to Rockliff this year tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back