List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

After taking everything into account Carlton paid effectively pick 18 for Marchbank, Pickett and Palmer. North paid effectively nothing for Ahern. We paid what is likely to be a pick in the mid 20's for WHE, who has as many question marks over his head as any of those other players imo, and has been in the system a lot longer.

If you think our previous dealings and Eddie's public attacks on GWS' handouts and Academy hasn't seriously affected our trading relationship with them you're sticking your head in the sand. Any other club would have been able to get him for a third rounder at max I reckon. We're literally the only club aside from the Bulldogs with Boyd that GWS has bled dry at the trade table, and they've done it 3 times now.

Or maybe Carlton is too cosy with GWS to the detriment of their trading relationship with the other 16 clubs. Palmer joins the list of rejects to join that club. He was reverse steakknives!! Perhaps they might have been better off building their relationship with Adelaide and getting Gibbs off their books.

Time will tell but a future second round sounds ok to me.

Last edited:
I still don't think we screwed on the WHE deal, but like all trades for all clubs, you are not going to know for at least a year or more whether it was of good value or not.
Saints gave us a future 2nd for freeman last year. Was that fair?
WHE or freeman? Answer: who knows yet, but both of their ceilings could be very high.

No! No! No! Judgements must be made immediately and be obsolete.

I still maintain this has been an excellent off season.
It wasn't as spectacular as the trio we brought in last season but it's about the outs and the approach our football department is finally taking.

No more poor ball users and decision makers coming out of defence. That was the end for Frost, Brown, Williams.
Yet, we are Complaining about the compo?
These guys are trash and worthless. We freed up great cap space with their departures.

Witts is poor. Incredibly soft. His type of player is worthless. That we got the points to bring in our father sons is a bonus.

We brought in 4 players who will be in our best 22 or thereabouts, all of whom are at a minimum of league standard with ball use.
We moved on list cloggers, adding to that Toovey, Cloke, Macaffer- again the common theme in all our departures is poor ball users.

We've seen the light.
We go to the draft armed with enough points for our father sons and pick 28 to get a crack at a decent player.
From memory Dan Hannebery and Dayne Beams were taken around pick 29/30 so it can be done.
Whether we go tall or small just pick up quality kicks of the footy.

Or maybe Carlton is too cosy with GWS to the detriment of their trading relationship with the other 16 clubs. Palmer joins the list of rejects to join that club. He was reverse steakknives!! Perhaps they might have been better off building their relationship with Adelaide and getting Gibbs off their books.

Time will tell but a future second round sounds ok to me.
Hah. Yeah, ok. Let's ignore that North got Ahern for free and St Kilda got Steele, who's much more consistent and durable for a second. It's just Carlton getting cozy with GWS and our trading relationship with GWS is just fine and dandy.

Hah. Yeah, ok. Let's ignore that North got Ahern for free and St Kilda got Steele, who's much more consistent and durable for a second. It's just Carlton getting cozy with GWS and our trading relationship with GWS is just fine and dandy.

Fair enough agree to disagree . Giants should be appreciative we took gubby and his fine mess off their hands!

Looking forward to see what whe can do, and in a year or two maybe we won't give a rats clacker what he cost

Funniest Presti moment was late in his career when we were winning by heaps and they moved him forward and every player was looking for him to try and get Presti a goal, they were all laughing about it after the game and there was genuine love and camaraderie through the whole team.
Really goes to show how a real team presents itself.

Yes! One of my favorite Collingwood memories!

With all the generally mixed reviews about our trade period, and the fact we wont be playing a big part in the draft this year, i think a lot of "experts" and pundits are not going to be giving us a big chance to make the 8 next year. And that's fine by me, as it'll be nice to fly under the expectations radar a bit.
Bucks' job may be on the line, but the kids in our team is where our real future lies - Moore, Maynard, Grundy, De Goey, Broomhead, Shaz, Ramsay, etc - and if they can develop further next year then you just never know.

With all the generally mixed reviews about our trade period, and the fact we wont be playing a big part in the draft this year, i think a lot of "experts" and pundits are not going to be giving us a big chance to make the 8 next year. And that's fine by me, as it'll be nice to fly under the expectations radar a bit.
Bucks' job may be on the line, but the kids in our team is where our real future lies - Moore, Maynard, Grundy, De Goey, Broomhead, Shaz, Ramsay, etc - and if they can develop further next year then you just never know.
That's our future and I'm proud of this playing group
Final round against dawkthorn
Is convincing we are on our way to glory

Daicos........and Brown......getting back to our roots.

That's enough for me in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still maintain this has been an excellent off season.
It wasn't as spectacular as the trio we brought in last season but it's about the outs and the approach our football department is finally taking.

No more poor ball users and decision makers coming out of defence. That was the end for Frost, Brown, Williams.
Yet, we are Complaining about the compo?
These guys are trash and worthless. We freed up great cap space with their departures.

Witts is poor. Incredibly soft. His type of player is worthless. That we got the points to bring in our father sons is a bonus.

We brought in 4 players who will be in our best 22 or thereabouts, all of whom are at a minimum of league standard with ball use.
We moved on list cloggers, adding to that Toovey, Cloke, Macaffer- again the common theme in all our departures is poor ball users.

We've seen the light.
We go to the draft armed with enough points for our father sons and pick 28 to get a crack at a decent player.
From memory Dan Hannebery and Dayne Beams were taken around pick 29/30 so it can be done.
Whether we go tall or small just pick up quality kicks of the footy.

You're the exact kind of poster who would be saying guys like Williams Witts Brown ect are young guns / good players if they stayed.

Now they leave they're useless spuds but guys like Mayne and Dunn (barely AFL standard recently) are brilliant additions :rolleyes:

To be fair if WHE was going to be out until 2018 with an ACL (like Ahern) we likely would've got him for Samboys too.

Just looking through some team stat's this year all the top teams have multiple players with over 350m gains in there team it seems thats the way the games are getting played with Shaw(518m) at gws and Boyd(478m) at dogs leading the way in there backlines. Our highest is a player that only played 2 games in ramsay(339m). We Definatly need to improve in this area we are poor at transitioning from back to fwd. Brown(115m), Frost (131m)and Williams(258m) were not helping when coupled with there poor disposal, I believe Lyndon Dunn wasn't in the plans a month ago but with the way our backline ended up we needed something. He might be old but he is hardly on the decline just yet he has averaged over 370m for the last 3 years that's more metres than pendlebury. I know it's not a life saver but it certainly softens the blow!
Yes he was VFL but unlike Cloke it wasn't because of form, it was a coach wanting to develop young backs!

Last edited:
To be honest I think this trade period has just strengthened Buckley's chance at extending his contract, the fact that Buckley's job is under pressure is only a sediment of the media and possibly supporters. I don't think not making finals is enough for Eddy to sack bucks although it depends on how much we miss by.
I don't have such a bleak outlook on next year as alot of others on here, I think it will be more enjoyable than this year.

Last edited:
To be honest I think this trade period has just strengthened Buckley's chance at extending his contract, the fact that Buckley's job is under pressure is only a sediment of the media and possibly supporters. I don't think not making finals is enough for Eddy to sack bucks although it depends on how much we miss by.
I don't have such a bleak outlook on next year as alot of others on here, I think it will be more enjoyable than next year.

Media sediment is always muddying the waters.

Just thought I would add this to silence all those who still think we shouldn't have traded Shaw for Adams.

Yes he has played well, the only one of the exited players in the last 5 years to have done so, but he was up to his old tricks in the preliminary final where not only did he berate his teammates in public on the field, he had 4 goals kicked on himself.

Adams has been a very, very good player and barring further injuries, will be captain one day.

And the kicker. He has had quiet words to both Treloar and Hoskin-Elliott and convinced them that this is the place to be.

Still think we did the wrong thing?

And on a side not.

We have 3 GWS players on our list who are A grade quality.

Carlscum have 10, of which I think only Marchbank is any good, and he is still unproven. The rest you can pack up and throw in the rubbish.
Yet the media are all over SOS lauding him as being a great list manager. He's the greatest waste of space and long may he reign at the B-lose.

I was pretty happy picking up Chris Mayne but surprisingly his stats are almost identical to J.Blair.
I always viewed him as the superior player (being 6'2 helps) but it seems they are more on par than I thought :-\
Wonder if Mayne has any midfield potential?

Yet the media are all over SOS lauding him as being a great list manager. He's the greatest waste of space and long may he reign at the B-lose.

Finey ripped him to shreds the other night.

He reckons SOS is lazy because he is only looking at GWS players and that Blues supporters should be upset because it's possible that he is overlooking other talent because it's simply easier to recruit from GWS.

Finey ripped him to shreds the other night.

He reckons SOS is lazy because he is only looking at GWS players and that Blues supporters should be upset because it's possible that he is overlooking other talent because it's simply easier to recruit from GWS.
Hopefully he didn't notice we've picked Adams, Treloar and Hosking-Elliott.

You're the exact kind of poster who would be saying guys like Williams Witts Brown ect are young guns / good players if they stayed.

Now they leave they're useless spuds but guys like Mayne and Dunn (barely AFL standard recently) are brilliant additions :rolleyes:
But since he didn't say any of that I fail to see how he could be that "exact kind of poster"

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back