Collingwood vs Carlton - Where to for the loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

SirJimi05

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
This game is going to be huge for both clubs. Carlton fc, it's supporters and the media have pumped up Carlton to be a certain top 4 team this season.

Collingwood were talked up a a genuine chance to challenge for the flag this season.

Will the Carton arrogance continue even if they lose to the Pies next week given the fact that they have to play away to the Crows and Lions in the coming weeks.

Collingwood on the other hand are trying to show that they are the real deal. A loss to an underwhelming Blues team would not be good for the Pies. They also have a couple of interstae trips coming up but they do play well interstate and their draw is more favourable.

My tip - If Carlton lose next week they will miss out on even playing finals. Collingwood will be making up the numbers as per usual regardless of the outcome.

Thoughts?

My tip - If Carlton lose next week they will miss out on even playing finals. Collingwood will be making up the numbers as per usual regardless of the outcome.

Thoughts?

I would be more worried about your own team. Essendon could easily be 2-5 and Carlton could easily have been 6-1.

but yes, regardless of the outcome Collingwood will make up the numbers like usual. :)

I would be more worried about your own team. Essendon could easily be 2-5 and Carlton could easily have been 6-1.

but yes, regardless of the outcome Collingwood will make up the numbers like usual. :)

What does he have to worry about? The bombers have half there side out, and have managed wins against 3 quality sides + freo. Sitting nicely on 4 wins and 3 losses.

More than us hapless Carlton supporters can cheer about.

Collingwood will win by 30 points next week. They will make the eight, they will finish between 5 - 7.

It wouldn't quite be panic stations for the pies yet as we would have played our only games against Geelong and St Kilda already with Carlton still having those teams to come.

We've played our only games against last years other top 4 sides, in the Hawks and Dogs - So if you manage a win from any of those two as we did, and we lose to both Geelong and StKilda - we're even. You're making a very weak point.

Coulda woulda shoulda. Fact is Essendon, with 4 of their best 5 players out injured, have managed to defeat 3 highly rated opponents and are sitting 4th on the ladder. Considering they were widely tipped to finish bottom 2 i don't think i have a great deal to worry about.

Oh, and what on earth has this thread got to do with the Bombers anyway? :rolleyes:

We haven't even played this week yet.

I made this thread under the assumption that the Saints will win but i do concede that one should never make assumptions and also that Collingwood play some good footy when they are up against it.

It wouldn't quite be panic stations for the pies yet as we would have played our only games against Geelong and St Kilda already with Carlton still having those teams to come.

I think you are getting ahead of yourselves. The real test for Collingwood is tomorrow night. I have no idea which way it will go, but for Magpies to be worrying about next week at this juncture is just unrealistic. I can see the stadium filled to the brim tomorrow, more than half will be in Black and White - and they will have only one thought in their minds, and that won't be Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game is going to be huge for both clubs. Carlton fc, it's supporters and the media have pumped up Carlton to be a certain top 4 team this season.

Supporters have done nothing of the kind. I know no Carlton supporter who thinks we are top 4 quality. All the media's doing.

Similarly i know of no one who thinks Essendon is in the bottom 2. Only nuff nuffs on bigfooty think these things.

That may be the case, but you still want the Pies to play finals this year right?
Of course I do, that goes without saying.

But realistically we aren't at a stage where we can see it as anything more than experience imo. We won't be challenging for the flag yet, and se don't need to be. No panic or rush.

No! quite right!! The still believe Carlton is coming, like the 6.23 from Frankston that was canceled last week.

Point proven. The media pumps up Carlton because it gets reactions from idiots like you. It sells papers.

Carlton supporters have always been arrogant. Even in 2006 after we won our 3rd spoon we were arrogant about our 2007 prospects. If any Carlton supporter has thought in the last 7 years we are top 4 chances then they're kidding themselves. Not our fault you idiots believe the hype.

I'm happy we had a cocky tag line for the 2009 season. Beats the shit kicking and pathetic attitude the club has had for far too long. Might as well aim for something.

Collingwood were talked up a a genuine chance to challenge for the flag this season.

Will the Carton arrogance continue even if they lose to the Pies next week given the fact that they have to play away to the Crows and Lions in the coming weeks.

Collingwood on the other hand are trying to show that they are the real deal. A loss to an underwhelming Blues team would not be good for the Pies. They also have a couple of interstae trips coming up but they do play well interstate and their draw is more favourable.

My tip - If Carlton lose next week they will miss out on even playing finals. Collingwood will be making up the numbers as per usual regardless of the outcome

Thoughts?
Jimi, you say that as if we have peaked and have no more upside in the team. The fact is we only have 3 players 30+ in our side with the majority of our current best 22 still 22 and under. Pendles, cloke, thomas, clarke, brown, anthony, sidebottom and beams to look forward to mate. We won't be challenging for a flag this year, but i would be more than happy to see our youngsters shine on the big stage again as they have done these past 2 finals series.

Oh and BTW, there is pride at stake next week, so both teams will lift, but at the end of the day there is only four points on offer, same as tommorow. So if we lose to carlton it would essentially be no worse than losing to st.kilda, although i do hope we win:D

Point proven. The media pumps up Carlton because it gets reactions from idiots like you. It sells papers.

Carlton supporters have always been arrogant. Even in 2006 after we won our 3rd spoon we were arrogant about our 2007 prospects. If any Carlton supporter has thought in the last 7 years we are top 4 chances then they're kidding themselves. Not our fault you idiots believe the hype.

I'm happy we had a cocky tag line for the 2009 season. Beats the shit kicking and pathetic attitude the club has had for far too long. Might as well aim for something.

A quote from the motion picture Kung Pow........."Your confidence is disproportional to your ability". However as much as I dislike both teams, I hope collingwood goes out next week and sticks those filthy scum blues into the dirt, no finals, no good, your not coming, were all waiting!

Fair point. There's enough to show that your future is likely to be brighter than your past. I still think the Pies have more upside this season...but sometimes it's not just about this year. I call that for my team and yours.

Supporters have done nothing of the kind. I know no Carlton supporter who thinks we are top 4 quality. All the media's doing.

Similarly i know of no one who thinks Essendon is in the bottom 2. Only nuff nuffs on bigfooty think these things.

I would love to quote all the posts on the Carlton board of all your supporters talking up the Blues as a top 4 chance but i have been banned from your board.

I'm sure if people are interested they can venture onto your board and decide for themselves.

Likewise, take a look at the ladder prediction threads and you will see heaps of people picking Essnedon as bottom 2 and the vast majority saying they will atleast finish bottom 4.

You do realise that these BF nuff nuffs are the same as the majority of the general football population?

I would love to quote all the posts on the Carlton board of all your supporters talking up the Blues as a top 4 chance but i have been banned from your board.

I'm sure if people are interested they can venture onto your board and decide for themselves.

Likewise, take a look at the ladder prediction threads and you will see heaps of people picking Essnedon as bottom 2 and the vast majority saying they will atleast finish bottom 4.

You do realise that these BF nuff nuffs are the same as the majority of the general football population?

The top 4 thread was created by Parrot. Enough said. Plus nearly 50% of the responses followed the lines of "you're talking out of your ass".

No i don't realise. I don't know people on BF do i? And im thinking the majority of AFL fans do not go on BF. All i know is that the 20+ people i go to the football with regularly never rated Carlton top 4 this year, nor Essendon bottom 2.

If others did, then that's their fault for being stupid.

But hey, if we do finish top 4 i won't complain. Not holding my breath however.

Carlton still are a top 4 chance, as are Collingwood, as are about 6 other teams. At the end of this round Carlton will be one game outside the top 4, with a strong % as well.

Are Port a top 4 team? Are Essendon? In an age of equalisation you don't have to be that good to make the top 4!

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. You have beaten a injury depleted hawkers, who lost players during the game and had players in the side playing with niggles... And you beat them well, but with a young and enthusiastic side...

You beat a dud average carlton side, and a out of form pies side in one of the best Anzac day games ever, and those are always 50/50 no matter where the sides are on the ladder..

I think you will find the bombers will be bottom 4 this year, when all said and done there is 14 games remaining. I think you will finish with 8 wins for the year and end up 12th...

Once the better sides start to settle after round 10 you will struggle to win games.. And sides like the pies, hawks will hit there straps and march on to September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs Carlton - Where to for the loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back