Collingwood vs Carlton - Where to for the loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

This game is going to be huge for both clubs. Carlton fc, it's supporters and the media have pumped up Carlton to be a certain top 4 team this season.

Collingwood were talked up a a genuine chance to challenge for the flag this season.

Will the Carton arrogance continue even if they lose to the Pies next week given the fact that they have to play away to the Crows and Lions in the coming weeks.

Collingwood on the other hand are trying to show that they are the real deal. A loss to an underwhelming Blues team would not be good for the Pies. They also have a couple of interstae trips coming up but they do play well interstate and their draw is more favourable.

My tip - If Carlton lose next week they will miss out on even playing finals. Collingwood will be making up the numbers as per usual regardless of the outcome.

Thoughts?

Talk it up, very few of our supporters believed we'd be certain top 4, maybe top 8 but certaintly not top 4. Media a different story though

The top 4 thread was created by Parrot. Enough said. Plus nearly 50% of the responses followed the lines of "you're talking out of your ass".

No i don't realise. I don't know people on BF do i? And im thinking the majority of AFL fans do not go on BF. All i know is that the 20+ people i go to the football with regularly never rated Carlton top 4 this year, nor Essendon bottom 2.

Oh so only 50% of them thought they are a chance for top 4. :eek:

FWIW I live with a Blues fan and i pretty much watch every Blues game with him and a heap of his Carlton following mates and the general consensus amongst them early in the year was that Blues should be top 4 contenders this season.

Also, some of the crap that the Calron supporters were talking at the Carlton vs Essendon game was embarrassing to say the least. They couldnt believe that such a good team could be being beatien by such an ordinary one.

Oh so only 50% of them thought they are a chance for top 4. :eek:

I'm not saying there wasn't people who thought we'd be top 4. Just saying the people who thought so are delusional.

Well my best mate is an Essendon supporter and last year he thought the Bombers would play finals based on your 5 or so wins in a row. I guess that means your entire club thought so as well...

Also, some of the crap that the Calron supporters were talking at the Carlton vs Essendon game was embarrassing to say the least. They couldnt believe that such a good team could be being beatien by such an ordinary one.

Put me in that basket. I thought we'd destroy you.

Supporters have done nothing of the kind. I know no Carlton supporter who thinks we are top 4 quality. All the media's doing.

Similarly i know of no one who thinks Essendon is in the bottom 2. Only nuff nuffs on bigfooty think these things.

I completely agree mate. Most of my family are Carlton supporters and noone rates the team as high as that, maybe top 8 (including my brother god bless him) but they never get as confident as the media (which is usually half the problem).

I have seen over the last 3 years the media continually talk down the Dons as 'Wooden spooners' and every time we make them eat their words (although it ain't finals it's still better than bottom 4).

People should realistically look at the teams themselves and judge based on what they see not what BF and the HS does instead.

Collingwood really is a team going nowhere. They will make the 8 as they have done in previous season but will win one final at best. Win or lose against Carlton, the pies definitely are not getting any better.

Carlton on the other hand have a massive upside. They're very young and just falling short at the moment. In their losses to Essendon, Sydney & Fremantle they had more of the ball and more shots at goal. They probably should have won all three. Give them a year, or perhaps even towards the end of this year and they will start turning the close losses into wins.

The Blues are much better than the pies on their day and you'd expect them to be too strong for collingwood again next week.

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. You have beaten a injury depleted hawkers, who lost players during the game and had players in the side playing with niggles... And you beat them well, but with a young and enthusiastic side...

You beat a dud average carlton side, and a out of form pies side in one of the best Anzac day games ever, and those are always 50/50 no matter where the sides are on the ladder..

I think you will find the bombers will be bottom 4 this year, when all said and done there is 14 games remaining. I think you will finish with 8 wins for the year and end up 12th...

How on earth am i getting ahead of myself? I don't think Essendon will finish top 4 and i would still be surprised if they snuck into the 8. I think you are confusing yourself.

And since when is finishing 12th a bottom 4 finish? You really are confused.

Essendon will not finish bottom 4 this season.

Once the better sides start to settle after round 10 you will struggle to win games.. And sides like the pies, hawks will hit there straps and march on to September.

Very interesting theroy you have there. On average how many teams force their way into the 8 after round 10 in any given season?

Responses above.

Collingwood really is a team going nowhere. They will make the 8 as they have done in previous season but will win one final at best. Win or lose against Carlton, the pies definitely are not getting any better.

Carlton on the other hand have a massive upside. They're very young and just falling short at the moment. In their losses to Essendon, Sydney & Fremantle they had more of the ball and more shots at goal. They probably should have won all three. Give them a year, or perhaps even towards the end of this year and they will start turning the close losses into wins.

The Blues are much better than the pies on their day and you'd expect them to be too strong for collingwood again next week.

Yeah cause the pies are a old team right? :cool:

Carlton are one Fevola injury away from the lottery, honestly.

no. just very lean on talent.

Hey we may not win the flag this year or even next year, but i can tell you one thing mate, we have the largest recruiting department in the AFL, possibly the southern hemisphere. We have recruited the best talent available i have ever seen at the club in the last 5-6 years.

I am pumped about our future, the only players we will lose over the next 3-4 years are Rocca, Presti and Obree :D ****ing loving it.

Collingwood will comprehensively beat Carlton ...
This is based on the Pies losing heavily to the Saints and we all know what happens to teams the week after a Saints towelling ...
Why is that do you think ....?

I have a feeling that Collingwood will beat the Saints and then go down to Carlton once again...... that's the script isn't it?

Massive game for both clubs.

Collingwood are by far the better side but Carlton have the two best players on the park.

Stick a fork in the loser as they will be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point proven. The media pumps up Carlton because it gets reactions from idiots like you. It sells papers.

I'm happy we had a cocky tag line for the 2009 season. Beats the shit kicking and pathetic attitude the club has had for far too long. Might as well aim for something.

Actually, it was Carlton and not the media that came out with the idiotic cocky tag that Carlton are coming. What happened?? did they have a premature ejaculation or has it simply gone limp??

Actually, it was Carlton and not the media that came out with the idiotic cocky tag that Carlton are coming. What happened?? did they have a premature ejaculation or has it simply gone softlimp??

They didn't release that "They Know We're Coming" campaign... the media just made you think they did!

It's always the media stupid!

Firstly, this "upside" about a "very young team" is a weak excuse. Reality check, Collingwood last year were the youngest side since the Brisbane Lions to win a final and did it without Didak and Shaw. Also, the reigning premier is the youngest side in the competition too.

Carlton may well have been 6-1 by your theory, however I can use the same excuse for Collingwood or any side in the comp. Adelaide, Essendon and Geelong were games we "could have" won with better conversion and/or better umpiring adjutication. However, FACT is we are 3-3 (just like half of the competition) with a game in hand tomorrow night.

As for the Blues being better on "their day", another reality check suggests you have not played finals footy for almost a decade. Time to walk the walk me thinks.

lmao. Classic.

Anyway, I read people saying Collingwood are more focused on Saints this week (well, of course the club is, as I'd expect and demand) but the supporters? I know I'm not. I'll happily accept a 12 goal beating by St Kilda if it means we beat Carlton. It's as simple as that. And I don't even despise Carlton as much as most other Pies fans I know :p

We won't lose both these games, but we won't win both either. If we somehow beat St Kilda (which I severely doubt but can't rule out due to how random my team appears to play) we'll lose to Carlton :\

I think its rather hillarious looking at the Essendon supporters in this thread. :D

You scrape 2 wins against Collingwood and Carlton when you really shouldn't have and a good win against a rabble which is Hawthorn atm and the arrogance is quite amusing......I wouldn't be rapt if I followed Essendon given your middle tier midfield and the age of it generally (Stanton, McVeigh, Watson....) and the key positions that will be vacated by the veterans sooner rather than later.

Carlton and Collingwood should both make the 8 but neither of these teams will flourish until 2010/11. Bookmark it. Next week? I think Carlton will win.

How old do you think they are?

22/23 plus I think?

Just noticed that they are 23 and 24 respectively. So I stand by what I've said. Given how far off your team is generally and given the ages of your prime movers (and the absolute quality of them) I wouldn't be excited.

Your all having a pop (directly or indirectly) at Carlton and Collingwood but given Carlton have Judd (25) Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo etc (21 or under) and Collingwood have Swan (25) Pendlebury, Thomas, Beams, Sidebottom, Wellingham etc (all 21 or under) well.....yeah I wouldn't be having a pop at anyone.

Add the ages of Lovett, Dyson and Winderlich (and their respective quality and consistency) and I'd actually be most concerned. Prismall is your shining light IMO but his recovery from injury will dictate how he goes. He is a talent though.

Lets not turn derail a thread about Carlton-Collingwood like you have just attempted to but I dont know why on earth you would suggest being worried about Stanton turning 23 and Watson 24 this year.

because they should be hitting the start of their prime years right now and, if they are, I wouldn't be rapt with their progress. Look at the quality of some other younger midfielders in the comp.....if your satisfied with yours then you really don't expect much.

and the thread was threatening to derail long before I came onboard. Given the Essendon flavour infiltrating this thread, I thought I'd pose the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs Carlton - Where to for the loser?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back