Preview Collingwood vs Essendon, ANZAC Day @ Melbourne Cricket Ground, 2:40PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations:

Collingwood: Completely dominated a North Melbourne outfit, Travis Cloke finally finding some marking form just in time for ANZAC Day. The delivery was, clean, crisp and the forward line of Cloke, White, Witts and Goldsack were able to capitalize on that. The playing group's confidence will be sky high and will be looking to back up against the rivals

Essendon: Had a horrible game travelling back from Perth, the effort wasn't there and just let St. Kilda and the champ in #12 run all over the top of them. Michael Hurley will learn from the experience of playing on him. The group will want to rebound from this loss, badly.

Head to head (last 5): Collingwood 4-1 Essendon

Sportsbet odds:

Collingwood: $1.75
Essendon: $2.08

Possible sides:

Essendon vs Collinwood

B: Langdon - Frost - Toovey
F: Winderlich - Bellchambers - Hardingham
HB: Fasolo - Keefe - Maxwell
HF: Chapman - Carlisle - Myers
C: Lumumba - Beams - Swan
C: Stanton - Watson - Goddard
HF: Young - Cloke - Goldsack
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Gleeson
F: Witts - White - Elliott
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Macaffer
R: Ryder - Heppell - Melksham
I: Sidebottom - Thomas - Ball
I: J Merrett - Zaharakis - Ashby
S: Blair
S: Howlett

Collingwood defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon need to improve this area a lot if they're going to challenge on the biggest H&A game for the year. The forward line simply don't lead anywhere near enough to be a good side, or beat a good side. It's the same shit, but a different year. Long bomb down the line and watch it get turned over, no movement, just the same stuff. Nick Maxwell will have a field day if Essendon's forwards do this again this week.

Midfield battle (rucks included)

This will be the contest that decides the match, 2 strong midfields built around winning the contested ball. Essendon's midfield will be hurting, and the addition of Goddard into there will hopefully spark them into life again. If Hocking misses it'll be interesting to see who tags for Essendon, the guy who did a few jobs last season was Melksham who probably could also do with a run-with job due to not getting into the game as much on Pendlebury. Macaffer going to Watson will also be a key duel, Macaffer holding his opponents well so far this season and Watson being such a strong inside player, it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top for the match. Essendon's 5-9 midfielders have really stepped up this season, and Collingwood's 2nd tier players will need to be wary of this, or even the top players need to be wary of this. The ruck battle should be won out with experience for the Essendon duo, although Grundy has been very impressive so far this season.

Collingwood forward line vs Essendon defence

Collingwood's attacking players found form in the past few weeks, especially Travis Cloke pitted against Scott Thompson when Collingwood played North Melbourne. Jesse White and Tyson Goldsack have also proven to be more than handy as forwards to assist him. Jamie Elliott is the interesting one, his ability to find a pocket of space in an otherwise crowded forward line is excellent, and Mark Baguley will have his hands full trying to contain him. Hooker and Cloke duelling will be the important battle though, that's the one that decides the game.

X-Factor players

Alex Fasolo has made a move into defence this season to relative success, providing a hand link player across half-back. His footskills have been top notch as usual but still needs to work on the whole concept of defending.

Key area for each side:

Collingwood:
  • Defensive pressure. That's what's constant in their games, constant, relentless defensive pressure that cause turnovers in the defensive half.

Essendon:
  • Leading. The forwards need to run, towards the ball carrier and call for the ball. That is what you call a lead. That's what you need to do as a forward.

My tip

Essendon will come out fuming after their loss to the saints. It all depends on whether they go overboard with it. Essendon by 3

Last edited:

Sorry for invading, just curious to see if you guys think Bellchambers is certain to play Anzac Day, also if he is certain will he take Danihers position or will you guys go with a 3 tall forward line?
Obviously you guys arent the match committee but its good to hear supporters thoughts, and alot of the time they supporters can get it right.
Cheers

Sorry for invading, just curious to see if you guys think Bellchambers is certain to play Anzac Day, also if he is certain will he take Danihers position or will you guys go with a 3 tall forward line?
Obviously you guys arent the match committee but its good to hear supporters thoughts, and alot of the time they supporters can get it right.
Cheers
I crtainly hope he does play. Daniher can't compete for more than a month at a time with his beanpole body.

Collingwood brought an A level pressure game today which North couldn't handle. We need to match them for intensity and make sure our STRUCTURES stand up. Pressure Collingwood enough especially in the back half and their kicking is a MAJOR weakness.

In: Belly Winderlich Goddard
Out: Daniher (rest) Ashby Hardingham

Belly has to play, run the risk.
Jetta did enough to keep his spot.
Daniher can't be expected to play every week in his second year
Hurley and Carlisle to switch back to how it was?

Cheers

Ideally he'd have another week in the twos, but based on last night, and our stoppage play/forward line play in the last two weeks I'd say they'd be very keen to get him in

When was the last time Hurley played Anzac day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers

Based on what I've read about him in the VFL I don't think we see TBC unless he trains the house down and looks great this week - the selection committee has leaned on the side of caution most of the year when it comes to our seasoned players.

I personally don't see TBC for Daniher as a straight swap. If you want to play TBC for Daniher you really lose the tall who can run up the ground to contest marks at both the half forward and on kick-ins.
I think Daniher has been good enough to hold his spot, and if you want to bring in TBC you drop out Hardingham. TBC to stay at home in the forward 50 and Daniher to stretch out the ground. Neither Carlisle nor Hardingham were leading outside of the forward 50 last night. That was all Daniher.

The things we need to see purely from our side before even considering Collignwood are:

1. Skills: The amount of uncontested turnovers and what seemed like mental lapses in the game where just too many for us to expect to win (case and point score was 33-38 saints ahead in the 3rd and Hurley kicks an uncontested ball to Curran who who hands it off to Schneider for an easy goal or Chapman hand balling it to an open Myers to his feet which ended up out of bounds rather then a shot on goal/bomb to the square). Our defenders by foot were bad, Hurley gave up one or two goals purely by losing where Volt was standing, marking wasn't great. After our first quarter we managed to kick 2-9 or something silly like that. Something we've prided ourselves on was one of our weakest points against the Saints.

2. Passion: Our pressure was just non existent and with the exception of a couple of players. The things which saw us rally and take our games be storm just wasn't there, it reflected in our defensive efforts. Maybe thats a leadership on ground issue, a coach issue, or a squat thats deflated after travel to perth and some flus but we really lacked it. Hopefully Goddard, Licka and the build up to Anzac day brings it back. Example: Stanton kicks goal in 3rd to get us back within 8 - gets pumped and no one runs to him to celebrate. Get around him guys! St Kilda celebrated every single goal.

3. Game plan: We need to stick to it. The holding pattern we used to go up 18-0 in the first quarter just seemed to dissipate before the quarter was even out. The ability to take on the game through the middle also diminished to the point it was non-existent, which is how we have been winning games throughout the year. When we were doing it in the 4th quarter we looked great.

Last edited:
I reckon Melksham being the tagger might help him and the team. He's done a good job before (shut down Ward last year as well) and it'll bring him into the game

Cheers

We're a tall down on how we started the year, so he can definitely play alongside Daniher.

I reckon Melksham being the tagger might help him and the team. He's done a good job before (shut down Ward last year as well) and it'll bring him into the game

Be lucky to keep his spot tbh.

We look garbage, our forward line is still pathetic.

Isn't it poor when our two best leading forwards are a 188cm injury prone midfielder (Winderlich) and a 189cm half back flanker cum midfielder Goddard) who's been transitioned into a forward.

Would have hoped that the two 200cm + guys are our best leading forwards :oops:

I'd like to go with something like this:
B: Baguley, Hurley, Fletcher
HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Gleeson
C: Stanton, Myers, Heppell
HF: Goddard, Carlisle, Chapman
F: Winderlich, Bellchambers, Daniher
R: Ryder, Watson, Hocking
I/C: J. Merrett, Melksham, Ashby, Zaharakis (sub)

I expect us to lift dramatically next week. Not confident of a win at all, but it's nowhere near hopeless. Bellchambers up forward will make a huge difference. Surely Joe won't get the best defender or double teamed with TBC present. Zaharakis deserves to be dropped but it's Anzac Day so I'd give him the green vest. Melksham's also disappointed. He's simply not getting enough of the ball, though at least he's kicking goals. Howlett's another not contributing enough and he hasn't earned enough credit to keep his spot. Ashby should be rewarded for his effort in the last quarter against St Kilda. I'd like to see Z. Merrett back in the side - we could really use another smart and reliable ball user, but not quite sure where we'd fit him in. Hocking should go to Pendlebury. Hooker on Cloke and Hurley on White.

Essendon by 7. Myers for the Anzac Medal.

CMON we need to lift for this. Losing to St Kilda is bad enough, let lone losing to Collingwood on ANZAC Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back