Combined Kurt Tippett contract negotiation/trade possibility thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, that was John Reid and he's long gone.So I can not see how he will be held accountable.

If, and at the stage, it's a huge IF but if he does - who ever didn't trade him last year must be held accountable. The would have known it exist and we should have traded him. The writing was on the wall 12 months ago.

However, it's just another example of someone at the AFC putting their head in the sand and just believing everything is OK.

You can say a lot of things about John Reid, but I really can't see him taking any shit from anyone, if such a contract, or more likely gentlemen's agreement exists, it is likely to work in our favour as much as it would for the team chasing Kurt.

I suspect Caroline Wilson heard that some sort of agreement exists and used her journalistic license to create a story which would create the most controversy. If she'd said a 1st and 2nd rounder were the going rate, as I suspect might be closer to the truth, then nobody would have fussed too much, but a 2nd and a 3rd and its panic stations.

This. We won't get "what he's worth", it just doesn't happen, a la Gunston.
It didn't help that Gunston nominated Hawthorn, who didn't have a pick inside the top 20 and had no hope of obtaining one. GC have pick #2 and Brisbane will have pick #8. At least we have a start point for our negotiations this time around.

There is no chance that he will leave. Just the normal argy bargy that occurs when gun players negotiate a new contract. We have only lost players in recent years because the coach "lost" the players. Money or the go home factor will not be a determining factor.

Hahahaha! Great stuff AFGM:thumbsu:

Didn't Davis announce that he was leaving during the season and then not say it was to GWS (even though everyone knew) until his contract officially expired?
No.. Davi$ announced that he was leaving and was quite open about the fact that he was headed to GWS as an uncontracted signing. There are two key differences between Davi$ situation and Tippett's - Davi$ was injured and wasn't going to play another game for us anyway, Tippett is due back this week; Adelaide weren't going to play finals anyway, so they were more than happy to not select him, whereas this year we're finals bound and Tippett will be selected until we're eliminated.

Didn't Davis announce that he was leaving during the season and then not say it was to GWS (even though everyone knew) until his contract officially expired?
The "official" story was that Davis announced that he would like to "return" to Sydney but he had not spoken to GWS. Kevin Sheedy said he didn't know who Phil Davis was and GWS then said that they would be delighted to chat with Phil at the end of the season.

When Phil kept putting off negotiations the Crows knew that the writing was on the wall. They set a deadline which forced him to declare he would be seeking to go elsewhere. There is absolutely no doubt that Phil along with Scully and Palmer signed during the window at the end of 2010 season.

Adrian Anderson announced yesterday that the AFL had closed the loophole that allowed players to sign a new contract with another club, twelve months before their current contract had expired. It had always been assumed that this loophole had only applied to the expansion teams. Why would you close this loophole if that was the case since it was no longer applicable to Gold Coast or GWS in the future (GWS could have signed Goddard or Cloke at the end of last season).

Is it possible that Kurt signed a contract with Brisbane or Gold coast at the end of last season?

Hey Crows fans , 2 years ago did Tippett draw out his contract talks to the end of season like this or was it done quickly , just wondering if he does draw these things out to get the best deal , or in fact he is headed back to the Goldy.

The AFL have a copy of all player contracts. Adrian Anderson has stated that the AFL would not allow such a clause in a player contract. If it was a gentleman's agreement then we have to stop being gentlemen.

Gold Coast initially offered something around $750K a year over 5 years but we were lucky or smart enough to have Kurt come out of contract a year before Gold Coast joined the AFL. If he knocked back the two year extension then Kurt would have received around $600K a year over 2010-2012. (The last year of his original contract at around $250K + $1.5M (the first two years of the new contract). Our three year offer was at least as good plus he would get another bite at the cherry now. I doubt that he would accept a 3 year contract so Gold Coast or Brisbane will have to offer 5 years on big money.

is anyone able to provide a link to the Adrian Anderson comment. Ive searched but cant find it.

well I'll be sorry to see him go....if he goes....but I only want players who want to give 110% to the success of the AFC. If Kurt isn't in this group then he should go. I don't want any pretenders to be part of our club.

is anyone able to provide a link to the Adrian Anderson comment. Ive searched but cant find it.

It was on 5aa last night. He talked about the changes announced to the rules. Unfortunately 5aa haven't put the interview on their website.

This was part of the AFL media release

"It was determined the rule that clubs cannot enter binding agreements with players from another club during the season should be retained, but that clubs may no longer sign players a season in advance during the off-season window and also that any discussions concerning potential contracts occurring during the season must be specified as non-binding. In addition, Clubs have been granted the right to make a formal complaint under the Rules, with sanctions of up to $100,000 for any breach."

I think Jenkins is coming along very nicely. If Tippett leaves then so be it, I do not want Adelaide to throw way too much at him. The way the 5AA guys carry on about Tippett being the be all and end all of Adelaide is crap. But I think the type of player Tippett is means Adelaide should be able to have the upper hand in this trade. Midfielders are common, 200cm ruckmen/forwards with agility are not.

Trade Tippett and steak knives to the GC suns for Gorringe and their first pick. Steak knives could be any one of Smack, Knights, L Thompson, Symes. I dont think any of these are in Adelaides future plans. Use Gold Coasts first pick to secure Toumpas. Imagine a midfield of Danger, Sloane, Wright, Crouch and Toumpas..... Would also free up a lot of cap space to secure a free agent. Goddard would be awesome... Not sure on the contract status of these other players, but Rosa, Gwilt, Clinton Young, Jordan Russell might be handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jenkins is coming along very nicely. If Tippett leaves then so be it, I do not want Adelaide to throw way too much at him. The way the 5AA guys carry on about Tippett being the be all and end all of Adelaide is crap. But I think the type of player Tippett is means Adelaide should be able to have the upper hand in this trade. Midfielders are common, 200cm ruckmen/forwards with agility are not.

Trade Tippett and steak knives to the GC suns for Gorringe and their first pick. Steak knives could be any one of Smack, Knights, L Thompson, Symes. I dont think any of these are in Adelaides future plans. Use Gold Coasts first pick to secure Toumpas. Imagine a midfield of Danger, Sloane, Wright, Crouch and Toumpas..... Would also free up a lot of cap space to secure a free agent. Goddard would be awesome... Not sure on the contract status of these other players, but Rosa, Gwilt, Clinton Young, Jordan Russell might be handy.
See the thing about trading knights is......

Mate thats what I am saying. We are adding top end talent like Goddard, and quite possibly Polec. Certainly Crouch.

Douglas, Callinan (in the shortish term) and Reilly are all certainly AFL quality but will be replaced by better players. With injuries all 3 will still play a majority of games you would think. That s how we can win from this situation. especially after last years aggressive trade stance and already communicated desire to look at FA players.

Goddard is certainly a standout and the Saints are very tight with salary cap from all accounts. If it just comes down to $ he would choose GWS but he would almost certainly be worth $3M + from his footy career ( and appreciating Melbourne property values in recent years) and is he wants to achieve the ultimate success before retiring combined with a near leagues best salary he may be very tempted by the crows opportunity
Are you that naive :rolleyes: ......don't you follow Eastern state news

Goddard has said HE WANTS TO STAY AT ST KILDA AND BE A ONE CLUB PLAYER !!!!!!

FFS why does everyone ignore information available and continue to fantasize :mad:

Bring something of substance to the discussion instead of posting rubbish!

Just to be plain ......CLOKE WILL NOT BE COMING TO ADELAIDE !!!!

It's very, very hard to see Goddard going anywhere. It's almost certain that he'll be a Saints man for life. Mind you, stranger things have happened.

Interesting team you've named there Crows Truth. You'd have to think that Reilly & Douglas would get a gig ahead of Henderson & Petrenko, and I think Johncock's days in defence are pretty much over. Polec would not necessarily be an automatic selection either at this stage, he may well start the season behind Callinan in the pecking order. That said, it's still a pretty strong team you've named.
GWS were very interested in Goddard ......no rumors at all, no discussion .....the player has expressed his desire to stay at St Kilda and the industry agrees that's where he's destined to stay .....because all quiet

He definitely won't come to Adelaide

Lets avoid players who have played a dozen games or less in 3 years:thumbsu:

Please no more talk of Gumbleton or Mcintosh unless we get them for free and put them on a rookie list
Hey i would grab Gumbleton in a heart beat !!

Not that he's available as Essendon have nursed him like we did with Shaw .....they didn't do that to then trade him when he got his body right .....but he's a beauty and you'll see that next year if he can get a full PS

Are you that naive :rolleyes: ......don't you follow Eastern state news

Goddard has said HE WANTS TO STAY AT ST KILDA AND BE A ONE CLUB PLAYER !!!!!!

FFS why does everyone ignore information available and continue to fantasize :mad:

Bring something of substance to the discussion instead of posting rubbish!

Just to be plain ......CLOKE WILL NOT BE COMING TO ADELAIDE !!!!
Didn't Bock also say he wanted to be a one club player? Not that i think Goddard will move.

There is no chance that he will leave. Just the normal argy bargy that occurs when gun players negotiate a new contract. We have only lost players in recent years because the coach "lost" the players. Money or the go home factor will not be a determining factor.
I agree ......my thinking is he'll stay

IF he has been offered a 5 year contract .....he may have been thinking a 3 year contract and then go home
Now this contract means basically means 5 years carries him to 30 and will IMO make him a Crow for life

I'd suggest it's the length of contract he's chewing over ?

Hey Crows fans , 2 years ago did Tippett draw out his contract talks to the end of season like this or was it done quickly , just wondering if he does draw these things out to get the best deal , or in fact he is headed back to the Goldy.
He stretched it out till the years end ....hence the "out clause conspiracy"

No he wants to maximize his contract value ....and time is the greatest negotiating weapon ....with anxiety that he's leave comes potential for a better contract package

But I honestly feel the 5 years is what he's thinking about ....it's a career choice, not just a contract choice

He stretched it out till the years end ....hence the "out clause conspiracy"

No he wants to maximize his contract value ....and time is the greatest negotiating weapon ....with anxiety that he's leave comes potential for a better contract package

But I honestly feel the 5 years is what he's thinking about ....it's a career choice, not just a contract choice

unless you get 3 concussions in 5 weeks and then holding out backfires a little...

unless you get 3 concussions in 5 weeks and then holding out backfires a little...
Not really ....forget media hype ....he has never had a concussion in his life before last few months, just pure bad luck and won't affect any negotiations

So assuming there's a five year deal on the table from the Crows, would there be a clause in there addressing what would happen in the event of another concussion or two?? Is the club able to stipulate that kind of detail, given that it's such an unkown quantity??

EDIT: WW - I would have thought it would have to be mentioned somewhere in the contract.

So assuming there's a five year deal on the table from the Crows, would there be a clause in there addressing what would happen in the event of another concussion or two?? Is the club able to stipulate that kind of detail, given that it's such an unkown quantity??
I would suggest they could make the contract performance based

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back