Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2c - it won't change without fundamentally changing the draft, salary floors, reserve system and list sizes in addition to any draft bingo. Teams change their list profiles massively because in order to develop a team to be the best there are simply not enough places on lists nowadays to carry a competitive mid aged set of players and developing ones. Having bingo for a few spots won't change anything in that regard - teams will still cut lists in ways that make them deliberately less competitive in the shorter term (significantly so) because it is the only real way to achieve their goals with the levers in place. Changing all of those items above would be ideal - but there seems little willpower within the competition, which is a pity. I'd like to see more spread of premierships rather than the trend of a rotating set of power teams.
Certainly. If one single fix would do the job of resolving all of the AFLs problems then even the fools in charge would have done it. As you say, there's no real appetite for making wholesale changes. It would be great for the competition and even for the long suffering supporters. But the pigs with their snouts in the trough are not brave enough to take on the job of rectifying the competition as they can claim their bonuses from the next media deal, and if the "power" clubs and interstate franchises are delivering advertising demand, then tey are as safe as houses (with no need to worry about whatever figure sits in fromt of the interest rate or when the next rate rise will occur).

Do the Pagan thing... Goldy, you are #1. You other blokes - play your guts out in the VFL and force a change. The winner takes it all.

Xerri looks like Polly Farmer in the VFL. The gap however to the AFL is significant.

The reality is the only way to see if Xerri and/or CCJ are AFL-standard ruckmen is to play them there. Which means the coaches really need to make a tough call on Goldy if they are going to take that approach and let him see out his career elsewhere, because he is purely a ruckman that has played his entire career as a ruckman and isn't suddenly going to reinvent himself as a CHF.

Last edited:

I do think xerri will be command something reasonable in the trade table. I think his first 4 or so games were promising enough to get more this off season that was offered last year.

My point with CCJ is that we need to gradually give him more time in the middle to prepare for Goldy a retirement so Goldy again will need to be able to share duties a bit more as time goes on. Sure he can be the main ruck but I don’t think having him ruck 80-90% of the time is a good medium/long term strategy.

Sure I’d expect ccj or xerri or any other ruck to be part of a tandem going forward but we need someone or a couple of people ready
X will be a 3rd round pick at a minimum but could be a 2nd. Rucks semmingly worth more in the market than others. If we get a 2nd for X then that is bloody good business, all of sudden back in the 2nd round but with a better ruckman

X will be a 3rd round pick at a minimum but could be a 2nd. Rucks semmingly worth more in the market than others. If we get a 2nd for X then that is bloody good business, all of sudden back in the 2nd round but with a better ruckman
Yeah that’s what I’m getting at. He’s improved his value so far this season

How is she going?

I have had it since last Thursday and it’s cooked me
the day after she suspected she had it, ( 2 rats said clear one was slow posative) she was very flu like, last couple of days she has said she was pretty lethargic, poor appetite but pretty much more up and about. she was painting the beams and trusses of our veranda this morning before the weather turned.

meanwhile i just keep coming in negative :huh:

iam off work as a close contact because the office i generally work in is a small space so by works current guidelines i cant come in, its pretty unclear so if they bust my balls i will just play the carers card. i have already forwarded the better halfs registered details of the rat test.

so iam keeping as clear as i can practically speaking living under the same roof. we have to be careful because helens parents live on the property in another building and they are elderly so we are keeping a more distant isolation from them.

Absolutely we should. I was surprised that we didn’t trade him to the Saints.

We recruited CJ to replace Goldy. Goldys not slowing down, he’s being asked to play as a forward and he’s not a forward and he’s spending far too much time on the bench when he can ruck all day. All to accommodate playing a second ruck? We don’t need a second ruck.

We’ve potentially got another boomer situation on our hands here, pushing a player out because of his age when he’s shown no signs of slowing down. He doesn’t even miss games. When was the last time he had a soft tissue injury?
dont think they were offering much.

What an absolute disaster.
On one hand its a shit show but from another perspective its actually a positive.

We've already identified fitness as a major issue and embarked on a multi year plan to fix it. Well supposedly anyway. That red time differential on its own should be something we will change as we get tougher pre seasons into the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one hand its a shit show but from another perspective its actually a positive.

We've already identified fitness as a major issue and embarked on a multi year plan to fix it. Well supposedly anyway. That red time differential on its own should be something we will change as we get tougher pre seasons into the kids.
Yep any measurable indicator that highlights areas for improvement is handy at this stage.

We have a lot of work to do

I don't know.

I checked it out - there were four centre bounces in the last quarter. He attended three of them. It was four of eight at the start, six of nine (for Zondor most likely) in the second quarter and only three of 10 bounces in the third. In the first and third quarters he wasn't used as often. The third quarter is the one that seems weirdest to me. It was when they got on top.

I think the main reason Luke is missing CBAs is because Horny Frank is a dominant centre square mid already and he's getting priority access to the bounces. I get the feeling JHF is so good the coaches are changing the way they planned to set up for the year and LDU is missing centre bounces because of that. The plan was sposed to be 80/20 forward mid mix at the start of the seaon. Right now its closer to 20/80.

Cheers for looking at CBA/total CBA per quarter. Very interesting - as you say the third is when they got on top. I really hope ldu reaches his potential as he's probably my favourite north player ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back