Commonwealth Bank Series Game 7: Australia v England @ Brisbane (Fri D/N)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Greig was saying that you can use any part of the arm holding the ball...
That is indeed the case -

Law 28
1. Wicket put down

(a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground by
(iv) a fielder, with his hand or arm, providing that the ball is held in the hand or hands so used, or in the hand of the arm so used.

Then again, he makes up anything to give the aussies out..
That can often be the case as well. :p

Yes, Tony Greig is hardly a reliable source. Wouldn't mind seeing what the official rule is on that one.
http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-28-the-wicket-is-down,54,AR.html

1. Wicket put down
(a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground by
(i) the ball.
(ii) the striker's bat, whether he is holding it or has let go of it.
(iii) the striker's person or by any part of his clothing or equipment becoming detached from his person.
(iv) a fielder, with his hand or arm, providing that the ball is held in the hand or hands so used, or in the hand of the arm so used.
The wicket is also put down if a fielder pulls a stump out of the ground in the same manner.

Edit: Too slow

I can't believe how slow Hayden has been against England's B grade attack.

am i the only one who cried when Hayden got that single off the last ball?

The reason we got rid of Katich is for the very same thing Hayden is doing...

Hayden is obviously paranoid about being dismissed but his innings is reinforcing the idea that he's not the dominant batsman he once was in this form of the game, even if he doesn't have to go the tonk. This is not a good dress rehearsal for him.

Hayden is obviously paranoid about being dismissed but his innings is reinforcing the idea that he's not the dominant batsman he once was in this form of the game, even if he doesn't have to go the tonk. This is not a good dress rehearsal for him.

******** him off, what a joke, still leaving balls after 20+ overs

I'm not too concerned about Hayden. He won't be going to the world cup. He obviously begged them and they put him in the one day side as a favour for old time sake would be my guess, but he has shown why he is not up to the task anymore. Twice in this series he has contributed to Gilchrist getting out and his limited over batting is on par with his age, past it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his innings is reinforcing the idea that he's not the dominant batsman he once was in this form of the game

I agree. I suspect this innings has done him more harm than good as far as the selectors are concerned.

Have a look at the run rate guys. It's still pretty good. :thumbsu:

I think that the tactics are for Hayden to hold up an end (he has the experience & patience to do it), while the other batsmen (who are all run makers) play the shots to get the runs.

If you look at the Aussie ODI team, the middle order are all run getters. If Hayden plays the "hold up an end" role, if we lose a lot of early wickets we will have Hayden & Hussey to steady the ship. :thumbsu:

Don't forget guys, in the world cup we will be coming up against ALOT better teams than England & NZ. Tactics will be the key. We need a "rock" at the top of the innings.

Personally I thought the game had almost past Hayden by when he was omitted from the one day squad after the Ashes last year. Had Watson been fit you'd imagine he wouldn't have got a recall. Looks like Katich and Hayden might be out of the equation for the WC opening slot.

Have a look at the run rate guys. It's still pretty good. :thumbsu:

I think that the tactics are for Hayden to hold up an end (he has the experience & patience to do it), while the other batsmen (who are all run makers) play the shots to get the runs.

If you look at the Aussie ODI team, the middle order are all run getters. If Hayden plays the "hold up an end" role, if we lose a lot of early wickets we will have Hayden & Hussey to steady the ship. :thumbsu:

Don't forget guys, in the world cup we will be coming up against ALOT better teams than England & NZ. Tactics will be the key. We need a "rock" at the top of the innings.

Hold up an end? more like hold up an innings.

FFS we had 110 to chase, this is no time to be practicing the boring stuff..

Very kind of the Aussies to complete the game before the start of Gonzalez vs Haas Aussie Open semi final.

Very Australian of them to allow us to watch more sport!

Remove this Banner Ad

Commonwealth Bank Series Game 7: Australia v England @ Brisbane (Fri D/N)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back