Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if the AFL gave Tassie a provisional licence, they're all excited to enter the competition by 2028, but North is still a basket case on-field in 2027, with continual low crowd attendances. Nek minnit, "just jk tas we're gonna send north there next year lol sucked in."
Tasmania will probably be amazed and confused, since the AFL doesn't have the power to send anyone anywhere.

Canberra 20 or Canberra 21?

For me, Canberra 21 as NT has dibs on No. 20.

Reiterating what others said, but the AFL NT scoping report said, even with GWS-level distribution, there'd be an annual $15m shortfall. The NT just isn't economically viable yet.

And in terms of dibs, Canberra's been trying to get a team since at least 1982, we called dibs a long time ago.

Tasmania will probably be amazed and confused, since the AFL doesn't have the power to send anyone anywhere.

We know North don't want to move anywhere, just happy to sell games for $$$$.

I think the overall issue is that some 100 year old clubs teams in Melbourne will always struggle. As the professionalism & costs have gone up, some clubs have lagged behind in adequate support & affording the facilities & team support systems they need. The draft system & salary cap should ensure survival by limiting the bigger clubs. Also the AFL being a VFL creation will ensure such struggles continue.

We know North don't want to move anywhere, just happy to sell games for $$$$.

I think the overall issue is that some 100 year old clubs teams in Melbourne will always struggle. As the professionalism & costs have gone up, some clubs have lagged behind in adequate support & affording the facilities & team support systems they need. The draft system & salary cap should ensure survival by limiting the bigger clubs. Also the AFL being a VFL creation will ensure such struggles continue.

its not just that - its the inability to negotiate or get cheaper stadium deals - this has particularly affected less desirable clubs from a stadium management view. Clubs have been refused permission to play at smaller, but more commercially viable venues that would better suit them, especially for matches against non victorian clubs. Throw in a dash of inequitable fixturing, and a lack of success......

its not just that - its the inability to negotiate or get cheaper stadium deals - this has particularly affected less desirable clubs from a stadium management view. Clubs have been refused permission to play at smaller, but more commercially viable venues that would better suit them, especially for matches against non victorian clubs. Throw in a dash of inequitable fixturing, and a lack of success......
Do we know which venues the likes of NM, WB and St Kilda would like to play at, but have been refused by the AFL? It seems like the options around Melbourne are pretty limited now.

It seems the struggling clubs have generally been struggling for success for a long time before the AFL was even created.

StKilda, North Melbn, Western B/Footscray, Even Melbourne for 50 years until now. Its been the same ones for decades,

Others have had down periods of course.

The fact is they do get compensated, the draft & salary cap help them, yet they seem to keep struggling.

Maybe just too much competition in the same place???????????? Maybe?

It seems the struggling clubs have generally been struggling for success for a long time before the AFL was even created.

StKilda, North Melbn, Western B/Footscray, Even Melbourne for 50 years until now. Its been the same ones for decades,

Others have had down periods of course.

The fact is they do get compensated, the draft & salary cap help them, yet they seem to keep struggling.

Maybe just too much competition in the same place???????????? Maybe?
Of course. There’s too many teams in Victoria but it’s too late to cull any. None of them are in such a mess off field that would justify their termination from the big leagues.

Do we know which venues the likes of NM, WB and St Kilda would like to play at, but have been refused by the AFL? It seems like the options around Melbourne are pretty limited now.

Pretty sure the Bulldogs requested permission to play a couple of games at Western Oval a few years back.

If memory serves, the AFL shoehorned them into Ballarat instead.

I think this is one of the reasons the stadium is such an issue for the AFL with the Tas bid. It's not (just) about building the ground, it's about what the deal will be for the club. How profitable crowds will be will make a significant impact on the profitability of the club, and thus is an important factor in the bid.

Pretty sure the Bulldogs requested permission to play a couple of games at Western Oval a few years back.

If memory serves, the AFL shoehorned them into Ballarat instead.

I think this is one of the reasons the stadium is such an issue for the AFL with the Tas bid. It's not (just) about building the ground, it's about what the deal will be for the club. How profitable crowds will be will make a significant impact on the profitability of the club, and thus is an important factor in the bid.

I find this last paragraph a little hard to follow.

I mean If a new stadium in Hobart was to be an issue due some worry about its profitability, then why would the AFL require it to be built in the first place???

They either don't care about a TasTeam profitability in a new stadium, or if worried about it, they'd simple accept Bellerive oval, wouldn't they????

Please explain. ;)

I find this last paragraph a little hard to follow.

I mean If a new stadium in Hobart was to be an issue due some worry about its profitability, then why would the AFL require it to be built in the first place???

They either don't care about a TasTeam profitability in a new stadium, or if worried about it, they'd simple accept Bellerive oval, wouldn't they????

Please explain. ;)

Why not both?

They want a new ground* AND they want it to be profitable.

* - or they figure a new ground is happening anyway if there is a club, so they want input into it while they still have maximum influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention a climate totally unsuitable for footy. Pass.

Kinda reminds me of Hockey Australia reneging on playing some games in Hobart in June of some years ago on the then new Olympic standard Hockey facility in the city .

They said it was because it was TOO COLD in Hobart in June.

Yet they live & play in Canberra in June!!!!! YER WOT???????

Talk about embarrassing, they made themselves look so stupid!!

Maybe the same sort of stupid ignorant bias in the AFL wanting a roofed stadium in Hobart, but not in Launceston, Ballarat or Canberra!!!

Maybe they should look at the weather Bureau records at some stage. Hmmmmm. ;)

I mean you couldn't write this sort of crap!!1

Some of us have been waiting a long time. Too long.

So the sooner the better!! ;)
I understand that
Kinda reminds me of Hockey Australia reneging on playing some games in Hobart in June of some years ago on the then new Olympic standard Hockey facility in the city .

They said it was because it was TOO COLD in Hobart in June.

Yet they live & play in Canberra in June!!!!! YER WOT???????

Talk about embarrassing, they made themselves look so stupid!!

Maybe the same sort of stupid ignorant bias in the AFL wanting a roofed stadium in Hobart, but not in Launceston, Ballarat or Canberra!!!

Maybe they should look at the weather Bureau records at some stage. Hmmmmm. ;)

I mean you couldn't write this sort of crap!!1
June is usually the mildest winter month in Hobart but the cold Southerly wind at times probably makes it feel colder than those other cities.

I honestly doubt Jeremy Howe's claims Tassie will have 100 K paid up members straight off the bat if/when Tassie are awarded an license.

I honestly doubt Jeremy Howe's claims Tassie will have 100 K paid up members straight off the bat if/when Tassie are awarded an license.

Maybe they will. The whole new club excitement thing will get a lot of people jump on the bandwagon.

I'm more interested in how many they'll have ~5 years in once the initial gloss wears off.

I understand that

June is usually the mildest winter month in Hobart but the cold Southerly wind at times probably makes it feel colder than those other cities.

We mainly get a North Westerly air/wind flow in Winter. Hence the scoring end at Bellerive tends to be the Southern end. A true Southerly is not very common. Summer often we get a sea breeze. Thats more from a South Easterly direction. ;)

Having been in all those places in Winter, on any given day, they can all be cold, even Melbourne & Adelaide.

However, one should look at the weather Bureau for a reliable indication, rather than relying on anecdotal comment. ;)

A bit of hyperbole I think.

None the less I think a TasTeam will get more members ' straight off the bat' than GWS or GC have had after 12 or so years of trying.

I'd be thinking of a solid 40k paid up memberships straight away when/if they start. ( I might buy one for the dog too, do they count? :))

We mainly get a North Westerly air/wind flow in Winter. Hence the scoring end at Bellerive tends to be the Southern end. A true Southerly is not very common. Summer often we get a sea breeze. Thats more from a South Easterly direction. ;)

Having been in all those places in Winter, on any given day, they can all be cold, even Melbourne & Adelaide.

However, one should look at the weather Bureau for a reliable indication, rather than relying on anecdotal comment. ;)
Fair enough,I must say I don't find Hobart as cold as some people make it sound.

I think we should be happy if we can get 20000 in the first season,I think 100000 is very unlikely especially considering how expensive memberships are.

Given that a lot of Tas memberships will be for only some of the home games (separate Hobart & Launceston memberships), and thus relatively cheap, I'd be hoping for a lot more than 20K.

I think we should be happy if we can get 20000 in the first season,I think 100000 is very unlikely especially considering how expensive memberships are.

20 K would be a terrific effort, especially as I assume memberships for Tassie19 might be a bit more expensive than other clubs to help pay for their new stadium (just assuming here)

20 K would be a terrific effort, especially as I assume memberships for Tassie19 might be a bit more expensive than other clubs to help pay for their new stadium (just assuming here)
Well hopefully that isn't the case,most people on here think we can easily get 20000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back