Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s funny when I lived in wa whenever you told someone you were from tassie they say how much they loved going there. Remember you have cradle mountain and and mt Wellington close to both Hobart and Launceston people from the northern states froth on seing the snow especially familys

Do they come in the middle of winter to sit for hours on outside terraces?

Caro said yesterday that Tasmania in the competition is worth an extra $12 to $13 million for the TV rights deal a year.

She said that like it was a slam dunk argument but I thought "Doesn't it cost $40 million to run a team every year"
You're forgetting that AFL clubs make money 😂😂

So sponsorship, merchandise and tickets will equal $28 million every season?
The original taskforce business case (pre-COVID) forecast $18.1m of club-generated revenue and $42.5m in costs. When you factor in the soft cap cuts and planned increases next year and 2024 costs will be around $40m. Add in broadcast revenue of $13m and government funding of $10-$15m (personally I think this will end up at $12m) and you have a business case that stacks up.

The original taskforce business case (pre-COVID) forecast $18.1m of club-generated revenue and $42.5m in costs. When you factor in the soft cap cuts and planned increases next year and 2024 costs will be around $40m. Add in broadcast revenue of $13m and government funding of $10-$15m (personally I think this will end up at $12m) and you have a business case that stacks up.

Soft cap cuts have only been a few million, and a club that relies on $13 million in government funds per year is not financially viable as what happens if the next government comes in and says "we can't afford to be paying for a sporting team" and then cuts the funding?

Soft cap cuts have only been a few million, and a club that relies on $13 million in government funds per year is not financially viable as what happens if the next government comes in and says "we can't afford to be paying for a sporting team" and then cuts the funding?
Taking into account previous cuts and planned increases to the soft cap, in 2024 the soft cap will sit at $2.5m less than 2018 levels (when the taskforce's business case was released).

The government is looking at providing a 15 year commitment to funding the team and has a history of providing money to AFL clubs to play games here dating back more than 20 years. The state government's ROI from having AFL played in Tassie is massive. There is no incentive to stop funding the team.

The AFL, the AFL Commission, all 18 club CEOs and a strong majority of club presidents are onboard with Tasmania joining as the 19th team. Clearly the business case stacks up.

Taking into account previous cuts and planned increases to the soft cap, in 2024 the soft cap will sit at $2.5m less than 2018 levels (when the taskforce's business case was released).

The government is looking at providing a 15 year commitment to funding the team and has a history of providing money to AFL clubs to play games here dating back more than 20 years. The state government's ROI from having AFL played in Tassie is massive. There is no incentive to stop funding the team.

The AFL, the AFL Commission, all 18 club CEOs and a strong majority of club presidents are onboard with Tasmania joining as the 19th team. Clearly the business case stacks up.

A government commitment is not always worth much. It can still be cancelled easily and would be the first thing to go if Australia goes into a recession and Tasmania desperately needs to make cuts to the budget.

A government commitment is not always worth much. It can still be cancelled easily and would be the first thing to go if Australia goes into a recession and Tasmania desperately needs to make cuts to the budget.

Do you really think that if they invest in a new TasTeam, & a new stadium & upgrade Utas stadium for the reasons of economic development, tourism & community benefit, they would then kill off their only team?

Really?

I mean it not like in Victoria a team was to go belly up. It wouldn't hurt the economy much, nor hurt the Government, & they'd still have heaps of teams.

Here it would mean losing our ONLY team, & wasting all that investment!!

It will also be important for them to attract as many sponsors as possible.

The government is only going to the president's with a 10 year deal despite the AFL wanting more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think that if they invest in a new TasTeam, & a new stadium & upgrade Utas stadium for the reasons of economic development, tourism & community benefit, they would then kill off their only team?

Really?

I mean it not like in Victoria a team was to go belly up. It wouldn't hurt the economy much, nor hurt the Government, & they'd still have heaps of teams.

Here it would mean losing our ONLY team, & wasting all that investment!!

Yes. Plenty of examples of governments spending huge amounts of money on infrastructure projects, billions, and there is a change in government or economic conditions change and suddenly the project is cancelled halfway through, essentially wasting billions that have already been spent.

Yes. Plenty of examples of governments spending huge amounts of money on infrastructure projects, billions, and there is a change in government or economic conditions change and suddenly the project is cancelled halfway through, essentially wasting billions that have already been spent.

We've had a first class cricket program that started in 1977. That expanded with the development of Bellerive Oval, a women's team & a BBL team. That all gets Government support.

For the same economic & community benefit reason, an AFL team will be fine.

We've had a first class cricket program that started in 1977. That expanded with the development of Bellerive Oval, a women's team & a BBL team. That all gets Government support.

For the same economic & community benefit reason, an AFL team will be fine.
I do agree that the team definitely can't rely on too much gov support for too long and that is why they need to work hard to attract big corporate sponsors like all other AFL teams.

They do in every other state in Australia. Are you another one of those people that think Tasmania’s climate is like Alaska

No, I think Tas climate is just like Vic, but maybe 1 or 2C colder.

But the difference is that Vic isn't trying to convince everyone else to give them a team, and thus on the bad end of a negotiation.

It's long been discussed that a Tas team would bring about a new stadium in Hobart.
The AFL just got involved in this while it has the whip hand and started making demands for what it wants that stadium to involve. (and wants agreement while it still has that power)

Actually, during recessions governments tend to spend more money on things that stimulate the economy. There's no logic in saying "we need to save some money so let's cut something that makes us money".

I've given you all of the facts that objectively show that the bid for a Tasmanian team stacks up. I'm curious to know why you're so against it?

Actually, during recessions governments tend to spend more money on things that stimulate the economy. There's no logic in saying "we need to save some money so let's cut something that makes us money".

I've given you all of the facts that objectively show that the bid for a Tasmanian team stacks up. I'm curious to know why you're so against it?

Sport teams don't really stimulate the economy though. People like sports teams as they are entertainment but they don't really help the economy.

Sport teams don't really stimulate the economy though. People like sports teams as they are entertainment but they don't really help the economy.
The AFL games played in Tasmania generate 10x the amount the government pays for them in tourism spending—and that's without an inner-city stadium.

Are you seriously suggesting that governments act logically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back