Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much I don't mind most games in Hobart it definitely won't go down well with a lot of people up here in the north so I think they will have a huge battle on their hands to make that happen.

Definitely can't see the North being happy with 11 games in Hobart.

With all of Tasmania's funding towards AFL going to the new team, Hawks games would be unlikely to continue, so Launceston would be going from four games to none. Would be a bit shit for them.

What if Tas team plays 11 home games in Hobart.

And then Hawthorn and Kangaroo’s still sell one home game each (both against Tas) to Launceston, so the north still get Tas twice, but they are simply away games instead…

Edit: or 9 home games in Hobart. 2 home games in Launie. And 2 away games in Launie. So the new stadium gets 9 games, and the north gets 4.

Definitely can't see the North being happy with 11 games in Hobart.

With all of Tasmania's funding towards AFL going to the new team, Hawks games would be unlikely to continue, so Launceston would be going from four games to none. Would be a bit s**t for them.
Definitely when they have always believed they should be the home of footy in Tasmania.

ABC were saying that the rights deal would come before the Tas decision - around GF week. Also Gil now staying on until December to tidy everything up.

Also Caro on FC inferred that the AFL wants all 11 games at the new Hobart stadium, and that was still to be sorted.
Na that's not what Caro said. She said the clubs are speculating that the Tasmanian government don't want the stadium because they want more games in the north.

This isn't true. The split would be 6/5 or 7/4. Take it to the bank.

Na that's not what Caro said. She said the clubs are speculating that the Tasmanian government don't want the stadium because they want more games in the north.

I just worry it wouldn't be enough in Hobart for a brand new stadium although I also believe we would see a war if the people up here in the north didn't get any games.

I just worry it wouldn't be enough in Hobart for a brand new stadium although I also believe we would see a war if the people up here in the north didn't get any games.
The premier's already said the north won't get any less games than they do currently. The team will be called Tasmania, not Hobart.

There's nothing to worry about at all.

I think it will start out at a 6-5 split with 6 being played in Launceston until the new stadium is built then it will end 7-4 Hobart

I think it will start out at a 6-5 split with 6 being played in Launceston until the new stadium is built then it will end 7-4 Hobart
They will want to have enough other sports and shows for the stadium otherwise it will end a big white elephant with just 7 AFL games.

Disagree there mate obviously there needs to be a lot on infrastructure re parking ferry terminals put in place . but the potential is huge there are a lot of major population areas that have close access to the Derwent the Kingston -Glenorchy Easter shore Bridgewater Brighton Hobart it’s self would take a lot of pressure off our roads the smart move really look how well it works in Sydney

Your opinion is fine. It would be great, BUT!!!

Using a ferry requires people to get to a terminal & park. Its fine if you want to go from A to B, Its no good if you have need to do things between A & B.

ie Many people do things like drop kids/pick up kids at school, call into the shops, pay a bill on the way home, call in to see people, call into sports club for training, pick up kids from training on the way home. etc etc

Working in say North Hobart, but living in Kingston will require car to ferry, wait for ferry, ferry stop at the waterfront, find a bus, get to NH, walk to workplace. That'll easily take an hour or more from home to work.

We dont have the population size or density to maximise such a mass transport system. The infrastructure cost would be enormous. The value would be debatable

A local transport economist has discussed this many times over & doubts the utility. In a place like this, the car is far more convenient for most people.

If population numbers & density increase then it definitely would become more viable.

They will want to have enough other sports and shows for the stadium otherwise it will end a big white elephant with just 7 AFL games.
I think the plan is to use revenue from the carpark, hotel and convention centre to cover the costs in maintaining the stadium.

Looking forward to seeing the feasibility study in the next month or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than the Hurricanes, what other sport could play there and get more than a few thousand?
International cricket soccer international rugby. Tasmania is currently limited to the amount of concerts they attract due to the entertainment centre not having a large capacity a new indoor stadium will open up a lot more opportunities there

I think the plan is to use revenue from the carpark, hotel and convention centre to cover the costs in maintaining the stadium.

Looking forward to seeing the feasibility study in the next month or two.

The area is ripe for development, close to the city & on the river front. Its been that way for 10 years. The 'corporation' appointed to plan & develop the area has spent more on Tim Tams & Ice Vovos at meetings than actually doing anything. Its like the bloody Cable Car, or higher density apartments, too many light Green NIMBYs in this place.

The area is ripe for development, close to the city & on the river front. Its been that way for 10 years. The 'corporation' appointed to plan & develop the area has spent more on Tim Tams & Ice Vovos at meetings than actually doing anything. Its like the bloody Cable Car, or higher density apartments, too many light Green NIMBYs in this place.
Would definitely be a better location than Regatta Point

The government really needs to step in and make the cable car happen it’s madness that it wasn’t done years ago considering the proximity of the mountain to the city. Hobart council are in no way qualified or capable of handling a project like this

No economic benefit? When you have thousands of people going to a stadium they eat and drink in restaurants and bars book out accommodation use local transport so you see no economic benefit in this ? When there’s a big fifo game in Launceston you literally can’t get a room in the city anywhere

I think you will be lucky to get a few hundred people travelling from interstate to Hobart each Tasmanian home game specifically to watch the game.

I think you will be lucky to get a few hundred people travelling from interstate to Hobart each Tasmanian home game specifically to watch the game.

GWS will be zilch. Closer clubs will be more.

Having Tasmania more in front of people will be good advertising for flow on Tourism.

the community benefit alone will be fantastic!

GWS will be zilch. Closer clubs will be more.

Having Tasmania more in front of people will be good advertising for flow on Tourism.

the community benefit alone will be fantastic!

Surprisingly, there are a few GWS supporters that have come down - at least while I was in Tassie there were some.

Even if you had zero travelling fans the amount of extra money generated on game days in the cities of Hobart and Launceston would be enormous you obviously don’t go to many games live if you can’t get your head around this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back