Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that the team definitely can't rely on too much gov support for too long and that is why they need to work hard to attract big corporate sponsors like all other AFL teams.

I'd recon they'd be looking ASAP if they get the nod.

I just think its a bit early for some to predict the teams demise, years before it even starts!!!!

I'd recon they'd be looking ASAP if they get the nod.

I just think its a bit early for some to predict the teams demise, years before it even starts!!!!

I reckon 2025...come in when the new TV deal starts. gives them 3 years to line everything up...slightly less than the lead time the Giants/Suns had.

Please show the study that proves that?

10:21

The business case states that an AFL team playing out of Tasmania (that's 11 games) would provide $110m of spending in the state. How about you go and read it and then come back and we can debate the matter? I can't be bothered with your ignorance any more.

That video is irrelevant as it's talking about stadium infrastructure and we're not.

The business case states that an AFL team playing out of Tasmania (that's 11 games) would provide $110m of spending in the state. How about you go and read it and then come back and we can debate the matter? I can't be bothered with your ignorance any more.

That video is irrelevant as it's talking about stadium infrastructure and we're not.

The business case is wishes. I am talking about actual studies showing sport teams provide an economic benefit to the area.

The business case is built on research conducted by the taskforce and Gemba. You'd know that if you bothered to read it.

'spending' estimates in business cases are always pretty flakey and optimistic.

If I have $30 in my entertainment budget and decide to go to the footy rather than see a movie, the footy didn't 'generate' $30 in new spending, they just redirected it. But a business case will claim it as new spending.

'spending' estimates in business cases are always pretty flakey and optimistic.

If I have $30 in my entertainment budget and decide to go to the footy rather than see a movie, the footy didn't 'generate' $30 in new spending, they just redirected it. But a business case will claim it as new spending.

Yes & some will buy a membership or go to games whereas they may not have spent that money at all.

Maybe leave it in the bank.

Very few people spend all their income, thus redirect money from one spending area to another. Most have a level discretionary spending. Of which some is saved or spent on whatever.

One might spend $30 on VB cans (YUK!), sit at home & watch a game on TV. Most of the money goes interstate to CUB.

Or spend $30 going to the footy, contributing to the player & ground staff wages which go around in the local community.

Both are spending, but have different 'benefits' in different communities.

Please show the study that proves that?

10:21

I don't think this rings as true for Australian stadiums.

I lived in Adelaide for the end of AAMI Stadium and the start of Adelaide Oval and the differences were stark. From my experience, pubs in Adelaide and North Adelaide are always packed on game days. Plenty of us made a day of it in the Adelaide CBD before heading to the game. To me, the main difference was the public transport. You aren't limited on time, and you aren't restricted with alcohol.

None of that happened when they played at West Lakes. The local Maccas seemed to do alright and the Westfield might have got a boost, but not to the same extent.

I don't know how well Hobart's connected by public transport, but a CBD stadium means it's more than just a drive-in, drive-out event.

I don't think this rings as true for Australian stadiums.

I lived in Adelaide for the end of AAMI Stadium and the start of Adelaide Oval and the differences were stark. From my experience, pubs in Adelaide and North Adelaide are always packed on game days. Plenty of us made a day of it in the Adelaide CBD before heading to the game. To me, the main difference was the public transport. You aren't limited on time, and you aren't restricted with alcohol.

None of that happened when they played at West Lakes. The local Maccas seemed to do alright and the Westfield might have got a boost, but not to the same extent.

I don't know how well Hobart's connected by public transport, but a CBD stadium means it's more than just a drive-in, drive-out event.

Public transport is pretty ordinary in Tasmania.

I agree, the thing about this inner city stadium proposal, is that parking won't be that easy. It probably will be easier to integrate buses into & from the ground to areas North, South or East over the river. Most people will still need to drive. As in drive to where the bus will get them to the ground. The light rail proposal would have made access easier for many people, but isn't a goer at this stage. Access would still be easier than Bellerive that's for sure.

Adelaide is in an ideal situation with easy access to the city, & its public transport is better. The MCG has good public transport access. I gather the SCG has improved with light rail access. The Gabba has bus to rail, which suits many. Perth looks ok with rail but isn't real close to the city (looking on the map that is!!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly doubt Jeremy Howe's claims Tassie will have 100 K paid up members straight off the bat if/when Tassie are awarded an license.
I'm a definite.

So that's only 99,999 to go.

Carlton haven’t played finals for gawd only knows how long.
massive Problems at Essendon,
North has problems, so too West Coast and the way to solve this is to introduce a new team?

So draft concessions again, another team on the feed of AFL assistance. Here we go again.

You can sink a ship if you overload it with weight. This new team makes it even more unlikely my team will play finals.
All I ask for is to experience one match of finals action within 5 years… I went to the 2013 match, I’m still waiting.

Why not get an existing team to play half of their matches in Tasmania?
The number of teams in the comp isn't the reason for those clubs having problems. So adding one won't make any difference.

As for the second bolded bit, how often does it need to be explained why this, and variations thereof, wouldn't work?

I reckon 2025...come in when the new TV deal starts. gives them 3 years to line everything up...slightly less than the lead time the Giants/Suns had.
I would rather they took another year or two if needed make sure the training and administration facilities are 💯 ready to go . They rushed with the suns and look how that turned out there still playing catch up

Public transport is pretty ordinary in Tasmania.

I agree, the thing about this inner city stadium proposal, is that parking won't be that easy. It probably will be easier to integrate buses into & from the ground to areas North, South or East over the river. Most people will still need to drive. As in drive to where the bus will get them to the ground. The light rail proposal would have made access easier for many people, but isn't a goer at this stage. Access would still be easier than Bellerive that's for sure.

Adelaide is in an ideal situation with easy access to the city, & its public transport is better. The MCG has good public transport access. I gather the SCG has improved with light rail access. The Gabba has bus to rail, which suits many. Perth looks ok with rail but isn't real close to the city (looking on the map that is!!)
I've used it once, it seemed to work very well. After the game they were departing every couple of minutes.

The irony of course is that Sydney used to have trams - including out to the SCG - but got rid of them all.

Last edited:
The business case is wishes. I am talking about actual studies showing sport teams provide an economic benefit to the area.
No economic benefit? When you have thousands of people going to a stadium they eat and drink in restaurants and bars book out accommodation use local transport so you see no economic benefit in this ? When there’s a big fifo game in Launceston you literally can’t get a room in the city anywhere

I've used it once, it seemed to work very well. After the game they were departing every couple of minutes.

The irony of course is that Sydney of course used to have trams - including out to the SCG - but got rid of them all.
I think over the next decade we are going to see a huge expansion in the ferry service on the Derwent it’s a huge untapped resource

I think over the next decade we are going to see a huge expansion in the ferry service on the Derwent it’s a huge untapped resource

Sorry but I'm not so sure. People will still have to drive & park near where the ferries are. Indeed, how many will their be? & how often will they run? & how many people will fit on them?

They'll be of minimal use, if of much value at all.

Sorry but I'm not so sure. People will still have to drive & park near where the ferries are. Indeed, how many will their be? & how often will they run? & how many people will fit on them?

They'll be of minimal use, if of much value at all.
Disagree there mate obviously there needs to be a lot on infrastructure re parking ferry terminals put in place . but the potential is huge there are a lot of major population areas that have close access to the Derwent the Kingston -Glenorchy Easter shore Bridgewater Brighton Hobart it’s self would take a lot of pressure off our roads the smart move really look how well it works in Sydney

X d
Sport teams don't really stimulate the economy though. People like sports teams as they are entertainment but they don't really help the economy.
No economic benefit? When you have thousands of people going to a stadium they eat and drink in restaurants and bars book out accommodation use local transport so you see no economic benefit in this ? When there’s a big fifo game in Launceston you literally can’t get a room in the city anywhere
Let alone having 50 coaches / players (and another 40 women) on an average of $400k living large in Hobart.

ABC were saying that the rights deal would come before the Tas decision - around GF week. Also Gil now staying on until December to tidy everything up.

Also Caro on FC inferred that the AFL wants all 11 games at the new Hobart stadium, and that was still to be sorted.

Last edited:
ABC were saying that the rights deal would come before the Tas decision - around GF week. Also Gil now staying on until December to tidy everything up.

Also Caro on FC inferred that the AFL wants all 11 games at the new Hobart stadium, and that was still to be sorted.
As much I don't mind most games in Hobart it definitely won't go down well with a lot of people up here in the north so I think they will have a huge battle on their hands to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back