Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting 2 weeks for tassie's AFL push. I think this will be one of the biggest things to ever happen in Tassie if it gets the go ahead,I don't think some people realise how big this will be for Tassie's economy and sport in general.

Very interesting 2 weeks for tassie's AFL push. I think this will be one of the biggest things to ever happen in Tassie if it gets the go ahead,I don't think some people realise how big this will be for Tassie's economy and sport in general.

Over 75% of the football public, all the club CEO's do. Some club Presidents, one without a brain, & a few on BF don't.

So who knows!!!

International cricket soccer international rugby. Tasmania is currently limited to the amount of concerts they attract due to the entertainment centre not having a large capacity a new indoor stadium will open up a lot more opportunities there
Cricket can’t be played under the fixed roof of a 25k stadium (would be too low).
But they are still having the meeting by this Tuesday?

Gil will present to the presidents, who will have two weeks for their boards to discuss. In the meantime, Gil will announce a massive broadcast rights deal with an extra $15m for the extra 11 games which will seal the deal for Tasmania.

Cricket can’t be played under the fixed roof of a 25k stadium (would be too low).

Gil will present to the presidents, who will have two weeks for their boards to discuss. In the meantime, Gil will announce a massive broadcast rights deal with an extra $15m for the extra 11 games which will seal the deal for Tasmania.
It would be a major blow if they built a stadium that couldn't host cricket because I just don't see how a new stadium will be viable without cricket.

It would be a major blow if they built a stadium that couldn't host cricket because I just don't see how a new stadium will be viable without cricket.

If they stupidly insist on a roof, it'll really need to be a retractable roof. That'll add hugely to the construction costs. A plain roof will limit its use.

I don't see why it can't just have a covered seating arrangement. A frame with perspex panels would allow good natural lighting & good protection for soft visitors from the north island.

If they stupidly insist on a roof, it'll really need to be a retractable roof. That'll add hugely to the construction costs. A plain roof will limit its use.

I don't see why it can't just have a covered seating arrangement. A frame with perspex panels would allow good natural lighting & good protection for soft visitors from the north island.
I think that is the way to go, it's not that cold in Hobart like some people think.

I think that is the way to go, it's not that cold in Hobart like some people think.
The narrative that Hobart is a freezing cold city is a furphy.
I worked in a hotel many years ago. It had been a dry warm week in Hobart except for this one particular wet day at end of week.
I greeted a guest who'd been staying in hotel for that warm week and cracked a joke about it raining. As he walked away he grunted it always rains in Hobart.
You just can't win sometimes can you lol.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still believe they will spend the money and go with a retractable roof

It's hard to see them announcing the media rights until they know what is happening with Tas.

"hey, we've got a $800M deal"
then Tas gets rejected
"Hey, we've got a $785M deal"
(or vice versa)

Doesn't mean Tas will have been formally announced, but they'd have to be very confident about how the vote will go before going public about a media rights deal that does (or doesn't ) include a team that isn't formally approved.

To be honest, I'm curious about them negotiating such a deal with such a big question mark involved...It's quite the contingency allowance.

It's hard to see them announcing the media rights until they know what is happening with Tas.

"hey, we've got a $800M deal"
then Tas gets rejected
"Hey, we've got a $785M deal"
(or vice versa)

Doesn't mean Tas will have been formally announced, but they'd have to be very confident about how the vote will go before going public about a media rights deal that does (or doesn't ) include a team that isn't formally approved.

To be honest, I'm curious about them negotiating such a deal with such a big question mark involved...It's quite the contingency allowance.
According to all media reports Tas has the numbers. Gil knows he can get it through. He would be negotiating on that basis.
The can announce a $785m deal, with a clause that it increases to $800m if a 19th team is added. No problem with that.

Last edited:
The roof is the killer. Found this on ABC. This is how the $750m was calculated.

• 25,000 seats @ $13,000 = $325,000,000
  • Add roof at say $250,000,000
  • Total = $575,000,000
  • Add escalation for say 2 years @ 5% / yr = $57,500,000
  • Add Tas market loading at 20% = $115,000,000
  • Total = $747,500,000
  • Add site specific costs = $?????
Get rid of the roof, choose a site with minimal challenges, and we are in business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The narrative that Hobart is a freezing cold city is a furphy.
I worked in a hotel many years ago. It had been a dry warm week in Hobart except for this one particular wet day at end of week.
I greeted a guest who'd been staying in hotel for that warm week and cracked a joke about it raining. As he walked away he grunted it always rains in Hobart.
You just can't win sometimes can you lol.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Born there, grew up there, left in my thirties. Have travelled throughout every Australian capital city. Compared to the majority of where the population lives it’s wet & cold. What some people don’t get though is that there is a fair decent chunk of the Australian population that prefers a colder climate. But imo I’ve never seen it as some major obstacle to gaining a side. It’s irrelevant imo & has no place in the discussion.

Like I’ve repeatedly written for a very long time imo Tassie will get a side.

Born there, grew up there, left in my thirties. Have travelled throughout every Australian capital city. Compared to the majority of where the population lives it’s wet & cold. What some people don’t get though is that there is a fair decent chunk of the Australian population that prefers a colder climate. But imo I’ve never seen it as some major obstacle to gaining a side. It’s irrelevant imo & has no place in the discussion.

Like I’ve repeatedly written for a very long time imo Tassie will get a side.

Compared to where the majority of Australians live, it is not wet.

Just check the Bureau of Met. actual facts do help. ;)

Compared to where the majority of Australians live, it is not wet.

Just check the Bureau of Met. actual facts do help. ;)
Most people feel Hobart is wetter because it gets constant rain all year round. And that’s a fact.

It’s bizarre how some Tasmanians are so insecure about the weather. I’m back down for a holiday to see family in a few weeks and I’ll bet anything the first comment I get when I say I live in WA is something about the weather. As I always do when I speak to people in regards to mums care on the phone. Hobart is cold, it is wet regularly but who gives a flying heck. If you like it that’s all that matters. If you don’t good for you.

According to all media reports Tas has the numbers. Gil knows he can get it through. He would be negotiating on that basis.
The can announce a $785m deal, with a clause that it increases to $800m if a 19th team is added. No problem with that.

I doubt either the AFL or media would want the additional value of a specific club to be that public.

As I said, they'd want to be very confident about the deal before announcing this.

The old saying I suppose spend money to make money. A retractable roof guarantees cricket gets played there which in turn is revenue
Imo there’s a bigger picture in regards to the roof and it’s tv footy. As I pointed out earlier the data shows Hobart has regular rain and the afl would prefer a dry spectacle for viewers to watch at home with free moving games & not a greasy slog. Which imo is a good thing. It means they see Hobart games adding to tv revenue which in turn means it value adds to the game immensely.

Imo there’s a bigger picture in regards to the roof and it’s tv footy. As I pointed out earlier the data shows Hobart has regular rain and the afl would prefer a dry spectacle for viewers to watch at home with free moving games & not a greasy slog. Which imo is a good thing. It means they see Hobart games adding to tv revenue which in turn means it value adds to the game immensely.

You are over stating / mis interpreting the data re rain and Hobart, it is one of the driest capitals in Australia.

Adelaide is the only drier capital:

Australia's capital cities ranked wettest to driest
  • Darwin 1723.1 mm.
  • Sydney 1213.4 mm.
  • Brisbane 1148.8 mm.
  • Perth 730.9 mm.
  • Melbourne 648.3 mm.
  • Canberra 615.4 mm.
  • Hobart 612.2 mm.
  • Adelaide 526.7 mm.
Even Perth has more rain, better get a roof in WA

The old saying I suppose spend money to make money. A retractable roof guarantees cricket gets played there which in turn is revenue

Given the anticipated use, and expected cost, I'd say the stadium will be a 'loss leader' in that it's unlikely to ever pay for itself properly/directly.

It'll lose money, but the idea is that the business it generates in other areas (hotels, restaurants, etc) will, hopefully, make up for it. (also a social benefit of getting events that might otherwise bypass Hobart like concerts).

Nothing wrong with that, you just don't want to lose too much money on it by making it too expensive to build/operate.

That's a big extra expense for a stadium that will struggle to pay it's way as it is.
There’s about to be a huge amount spent on the Gabba for an Olympic Games that run for two weeks how do you justify that cost post games . A retractable roof for a Hobart stadium means the second biggest sport in the country gets played there

I doubt either the AFL or media would want the additional value of a specific club to be that public.

As I said, they'd want to be very confident about the deal before announcing this.
Of course the afl would want everyone to know that but adding extra team that broadcast income would increase and in doing so cover the costs of the incoming club common sense business mate of course they would announce that

You are over stating / mis interpreting the data re rain and Hobart, it is one of the driest capitals in Australia.

Adelaide is the only drier capital:

Australia's capital cities ranked wettest to driest
  • Darwin 1723.1 mm.
  • Sydney 1213.4 mm.
  • Brisbane 1148.8 mm.
  • Perth 730.9 mm.
  • Melbourne 648.3 mm.
  • Canberra 615.4 mm.
  • Hobart 612.2 mm.
  • Adelaide 526.7 mm.
Even Perth has more rain, better get a roof in WA

Days of rain.

95 Sydney
91 Hobart
84 Melbourne
81 Adelaide
79 Perth
77 Brisbane

It's not just quantity. Frequency also matters....A relatively light rain on a cold day can have a bigger effect on your enjoyment of the game than heavier rain on a warm(er) day.

Of course, this isn't to say that a roof is needed, just that one set of stats don't always tell the whole story. (frequency/quantity of rain during football season would probably be more relevant than both).

Last edited:
Days of rain.

95 Sydney
91 Hobart
84 Melbourne
81 Adelaide
79 Perth
77 Brisbane

It's not just quantity. Frequency also matters....A relatively light rain on a cold day can have a bigger effect on your enjoyment of the game than heavier rain on a warm(er) day.

Of course, this isn't to say that a roof is needed, just that one set of stats don't always tell the whole story. (frequency/quantity of rain during football season would probably be more relevant than both).

Fair call so it might rain more reguarly but not as much.!!

I'm in Hobart - just been for a walk along Knocklofty with an accompaniment of a bit of rain.

We need a bit of an advantage down here, we like it tough! I know I enjoyed a game both playing and watching with a bit of rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back