Analysis Conspiracy theories surrounding Geelong's list management and salary cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how you can botch having literally (not literally) every draft pick though.
I'm looking forward to pick 1,251 when a different club gets to select a player.

You haven’t had the fine experience of supporting this club for decades. We’re like that Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite but we don’t even get that far

Rewarded kicking sides. Can understand it but changing the rules like that is pretty ammo in my opinion. And it doesn’t look good when the head of footy ops does that then goes back and heads up a club

Anyway I’ve said enough we’re shit
Appreciate the non-heated discussion on it, as it's pretty rare from your friends. I don't really agree though, it really sounds like special pleading excuse that Richmond fans have engrained in their psyche.

You say it rewarded sides that kicked it around but also, Geelong stopped that playing style entirely and got speed on the ball through running in Miers, Close, Holmes, Stengle etc. Our game style since then has more in common with Richmond's 2019 game style than the cats 2019 game style. Collingwood applied a lot of Richmond's principles when Macrae (an assistant at Richmond 2017-2020) came in and they were successful despite any perceived rule impacts. If McFly can build a Richmond under the rules, why can't Richmond?

The last really successful team to use possession to control the entry rather than running was west coast and they imploded right at the time the stand rule went in. That should in principle have benefited them.

To me the argument made about the rule changes specifically hurting the Tigers doesn't make sense, the reality is that it's a challenge put to all zone defensive structures which just means it makes it harder for all well coached sides to defend. A historical look at it just says to me Richmond imploded under injuries and a cohort of players tapering off at the same time. Nothing more nothing less.

Law of averages says that you pick done good ones. I reckon Jagga Smith is going to be an absolute jet

Think we will go FOS. Or Langdon. If we take smith I wouldn’t be devastated

Think we will go FOS. Or Langdon. If we take smith I wouldn’t be devastated
The top 10 looks good. The trick will be having the right development coaches and creating the right of field environment for them. You get some organic development early you can get free agents and trade ins to come in. If they don't allow a bit early then it gets harder to spend the war chest

It is odd that a club that plays most of its away matches at its home ground (which happens to be the GF and other finals venue), and even includes I think one premiership year playing their last 8 H&A games at the MCG, should complain about a ground Geelong has been playing at since the 1940s. But then again they did complain about having to play at Marvel. So unfair.

Well since you asked

1. Freak ground
2. Government funded
3. Hocking changed the rules to suit the handbaggers
4. Then went back to the club holy hell
5. No salary cap at all
6. Can’t wait for the book to come out about the weapon;
7. Mark Thompson.

That’s enough to chew on for now
The fact that we're not allowed to play at our "freak ground" in finals would counteract the notion that we benefit from it.

Government funded... what?? You mean Kardinia Park? Sorry, I forgot that "alphabet" stadium is the first and only sports stadium in Australia to receive government money.

I covered Hocking, but the fact that manyof your yellow and back brethren think he changed the rules to suit Geelong's game plan is downright comical.

No salary cap. Yeah, I suppose you're right. We don't have one... silly me! 😂🙃

Thommo and the weapon... I'm still waiting! 😉

As you point out, since 2010 we have lost Ablett and gained only Danger, Cameron and Smith (who is not at the same level as them). This is hardly evidence of a club doing something against the rules to attract players. Danger and Cameron cost us a lot in draft picks, unlike Lynch to Richmond for example.
Of course, the idea that Geelong is actually rorting the system is completely unfounded.

However, to simply dismiss off hand the crazy depths of nuance that people have delved by stating a lack of overall star recruits would be doing yourself a disservice.

I mean, if you actually follow the claims and start going down the rabbit hole like I did, some of the truly comical claims that I chronicled should have you in fits of laughter for days.

The top 10 looks good. The trick will be having the right development coaches and creating the right of field environment for them.

Is it though?

Listening to radio all week and those who watched majority of the kids play throughout the last 18 months, there are no superstars.

I mean Richmond probably get themselves a handful of Dion Prestia's but it's not as if they will pluck themselves another Sheezel.

They've invested their future into this draft and next.
I can see it failing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Conspiracy theories surrounding Geelong's list management and salary cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back