Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember a year where the gap between the best team and the rest has been so amazingly huge.

Sydney, hawthorn, Adelaide, GWS, Geelong, melbourne and port are all just making up numbers.

Collingwood would be a genuine threat but are injury cursed and west coast would have to beat Richmond at the mcg in a grand final that is lolpossible.

Talk about peaking at the right time Richmond should easily go back to back most likely because their opposition are all incredibly average and they play incredibly disciplined football.

So I'm calling it - if Richmond don't win 2018 grand final it would be the biggest upset I have ever seen in my 30 years of football.

For the love of god please step up your game next year top 8.
Just because we've been the best all year doesn't mean we're certain to win it. We've seen it on so many occasions, anything can happen come September .

2008 Geelong lost 1 game and had a percentage of over 160.

They didn't win the grandfinal.

So either the OP is 16 or full of shit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will give you 2008 but 2009 and 2011? Lol no. 2014 and 2017 were 50 / 50 games. Adelaide had shown they were shakey towards the end of the year.
In round 19 2009 St Kilda had yet to lose, & in round 19 2011 the pies had lost only 1 game ( by 3 points ), both teams were seen to be morals at that point!

Correct. Rich are an awesome team that plays to a great system and are having an incredible run of luck with injury. But imagine if they lost rance and Martin to injury in the next month - not only do they come back to the pack, they simply can’t win it. There is no team that relies on their top 6 more then rich , so they will be nervous over the next few weeks. If there is one thing that footy teaches you , it is that the wheel turns and at some point their turn will come with injuries. The landscape changes immeasurably should they lose 1 or 2 of their top 6 in the next month
Can’t agree about our reliance on our top 6.
Plenty of commentators actually talk about our very even spread.
In fact on Saturday for example Cotch and Lambert were quiet - Dusty well held in general play, Jack only got 3... not exactly match winning and Rance had his hands full with Cox.
Sure they contributed but hardly dragged us over the line.

Tiges are good but they're not some kind of unbeatable immortal.

Let's wait and see
Ikr. How often is one team talked up all year and then go on to to win it? Honestly seems to happen more often than not.
Remember how unbeatable Adelaide were last year? All you need is play 1 really good game and we dont even make the grand final.

I will give you 2008 but 2009 and 2011? Lol no.

LOL indeed.

2009 - Saints were 20-2 at end of H&A. Dominant that year.
2011- Pies were 20-2 at end of H&A.
Dominant that year.

Richmond won’t get close to 20 wins.
Many examples of dominant teams in the last ten years falling over at the end.

Hoping you are just absent mindedly applying recency bias in your OP, rather than showing lack of footy knowledge.

Correct. Rich are an awesome team that plays to a great system and are having an incredible run of luck with injury. But imagine if they lost rance and Martin to injury in the next month - not only do they come back to the pack, they simply can’t win it. There is no team that relies on their top 6 more then rich , so they will be nervous over the next few weeks. If there is one thing that footy teaches you , it is that the wheel turns and at some point their turn will come with injuries. The landscape changes immeasurably should they lose 1 or 2 of their top 6 in the next month
Is it 2016 again? After watching this year its pretty clear that we rely on those guys less than ever before. You haven't watched Richmond this year much if you still think that.

Dusty hasnt dominated many games this year and has many downright quiet ones. Dont think theres a single game I can think of that Dusty was the reason we won.
Rance is also less important than ever. Astubry and Grimes are the strong 1 on 1 defenders and Broad can slip into slot 3 and do it well. Vlaustin intercept and rebound has been so good he would cover Rance in that area.

Edwards, Lambert, Prestia, Vlaustin, Nank and Caddy area all right behind our big 4 players now. It used to be a gap, but now theres almost nothing.

Does every thread have to be about Richmond? Sick of the main board being taken over by Tiger talk.

Tigers supporters are making me sick. They just have to make every thread about the Tigers.

Tiges don't belt sides either, just consistently post 5-7 goal wins at the MCG, consistent but not head and shoulders above the rest.

Reckon we drop a game at the 'G this Friday too

Spoke to some players after the game. They are really sore. No Prestia or Graham leaves us down on grunt too. So I actually think Geelong will get the job done on Friday.
Having said that, given a rest after round 23, we will freshen up and give it an almighty shake again this year. Anyone can win it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are just incredibly disciplined with top end talent. The top 12 is actually much stronger than what it was last year and the year before. Richmond turned it up to the next level with their incredible dominance in Melbourne. Hasn't been seen since the Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda days
Jimmy Bartel says one of the top 8 teams will finally crack the code and devise a game plan to beat Richmond. Do that and you beat all teams. Geelong did it in 2011 and Collingwood did it in 2010

One game clear of West Coast and two games clear of Collingwood and Port Adelaide. Hardly in a different stratosphere although I do agree that they are clear favourites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigers are the best team currently because they have earned that title with great play and pressure.

Saying everyone else is just a pretender and average robs the Tigers of the accolades that they have achieved and they are on top of the ladder for a reason and it is not their fault they have just about every other teams measure on the ground that matters most and good luck to them.

GWS and WC can threaten but i doubt they can do it on the MCG when it matters most , Cats could be the only danger to them but even still the Tigers will be deserved favorites in a finals game.
I read this before I go to bed, it’s well balanced, honest and from a Carlton supporter none the less.

Inspires me to be a better person :)

I can't remember a year where the gap between the best team and the rest has been so amazingly huge.

Sydney, hawthorn, Adelaide, GWS, Geelong, melbourne and port are all just making up numbers.

Collingwood would be a genuine threat but are injury cursed and west coast would have to beat Richmond at the mcg in a grand final that is lolpossible.

Talk about peaking at the right time Richmond should easily go back to back most likely because their opposition are all incredibly average and they play incredibly disciplined football.

So I'm calling it - if Richmond don't win 2018 grand final it would be the biggest upset I have ever seen in my 30 years of football.

For the love of god please step up your game next year top 8.
Nah, Richmond are hot right now but there's plenty of time to lose form, just as so many early favourites have done over the years and even Richmond have been hotter favourites before and lost.

Oh?

Top Six.png

It’s really sad how many people overlook Prestia. Absolute ******* gun and would easily be top 5 at just about every club in the AFL.
mjl.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Back