Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmm
Your not doing well. Your wrong again last year against the Pies is it the only time we've won at the G.
I'm over correcting you though. Bye

oh so which game in the last three years have they magically won at the MCG that I haven't put there? Obviously they have won other games there but my argument was based on the last three years which is closer to the current playing list and set up they have.

why not port?

Because they are too young and still building as a team imo. Absolutely no indication that they could just turn it on. You could say the same about any team at this stage. Essendon on the other hand given their results at the end of last season is a different story but going by what we saw yesterday they still have a lot of work to do.

I know they beat West Coast but then they also lost to a depleted Richmond at home.

GWS Melbourne games since 2016-

2016-
Melbourne 12.8 (80) def.Greater Western Sydney 10.18 (78) MCG
St Kilda 12.7 (79) def. by Greater Western Sydney 19.12 (126) Etihad Stadium
Essendon 12.18 (90) def. by Greater Western Sydney 17.15 (117) Etihad Stadium
North Melbourne 9.9 (63) def. by Greater Western Sydney 14.16 (100) Etihad Stadium

2017-
St Kilda 16.12 (108) def.Greater Western Sydney 12.13 (85) Etihad Stadium
Carlton 10.11 (71) def.Greater Western Sydney 9.16 (70) Etihad Stadium
Richmond 9.10 (64) def.Greater Western Sydney 6.9 (45) MCG
Western Bulldogs 7.15 (57) def. byGreater Western Sydney 16.9 (105) Etihad Stadium
Richmond def GWS- Prelim Final

2018-

Collingwood 12.7 (79) def. byGreater Western Sydney 15.5 (95) MCG
St Kilda 10.13 (73) drew withGreater Western Sydney 9.19 (73) Etihad Stadium
Carlton 7.4 (46) def. by Greater Western Sydney 23.13 (151)Etihad Stadium
Melbourne 15.12 (102) def. Greater Western Sydney 8.9 (57) MCG

I must admit I was wrong on the count and they have won 6 1/2 but that is out of 13 games so they are running at 50% which isn't bad but all but 1 was at Etihad. I know they have only played 4 games at the G and actually they did manage to win 1 but there is the problem. Aside from beating Collingwood at the start of last season when they didn't have the best start to the season they haven't won there. It's just not enough practice nor indication that they could do it there imo. They do have a good record away at other grounds but it only counts in Melbourne in the finals.

I think you're dismissing the giants too readily, given that small sample size it's not really enough to determine one way or the other. What is evident is that this year they've adopted a team defence more so than any time in their history. Also one could argue the potential of that list is almost ceilingless - right now they're not near their potential.

If they hit top gear at the pointy end they'll be very very difficult to defeat - regardless of the venue.

I think you're dismissing the giants too readily, given that small sample size it's not really enough to determine one way or the other. What is evident is that this year they've adopted a team defence more so than any time in their history. Also one could argue the potential of that list is almost ceilingless - right now they're not near their potential.

If they hit top gear at the pointy end they'll be very very difficult to defeat - regardless of the venue.

As I hinted towards it's more of a case that the stats make a case for believe it when I see it over a confidence in the fact that they can win. Of course anything can happen.

That as I said that having few games at the MCG gives you little practice for the big one. They play 3 there for the rest of the season against Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond which will give us a much clearer picture of where they are at..

why not port?
It could be.

How they manage the first year players through the season will be interesting. The only first year player we took into finals last year was Zac Langdon and he was a 21yo draftee. Bonar, Daniels and Taylor all were arguably best 22.

Doesn't mean that's the only way or even the right way but I think we made a choice for experience in September. I also doubt if 18yo's can go thriugh the weekly grind all season without some management of their game time.

As I hinted towards it's more of a case that the stats make a case for believe it when I see it over a confidence in the fact that they can win. Of course anything can happen.

That as I said that having few games at the MCG gives you little practice for the big one. They play 3 there for the rest of the season against Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond which will give us a much clearer picture of where they are at..

Fair enough to doubt but I wouldn't dismiss them so readily.

Oh no doubt, that's why I said at the minute. I'll disagree on the pies though, they're not on at the minute. They're winning games yes but it's fits and starts so no they're not the benchmark, the cats are.
You’ve only lost two and won the others in good style. In my view your biggest “problems” are which forward line to play given you have Cox, Mihocek and Reid all playing well but you also have De Goey, Elliot, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot in cracking form plus a host of forward options from your many mids. Not a bad problem to have but it may change your game plans depending on the option taken. Oh, and you may like to say the odd prayer that nothing happens to Grundy. On the MCG I think it would be an even money bet between the Cats and Maggie’s.

You’ve only lost two and won the others in good style. In my view your biggest “problems” are which forward line to play given you have Cox, Mihocek and Reid all playing well but you also have De Goey, Elliot, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliot in cracking form plus a host of forward options from your many mids. Not a bad problem to have but it may change your game plans depending on the option taken. Oh, and you may like to say the odd prayer that nothing happens to Grundy. On the MCG I think it would be an even money bet between the Cats and Maggie’s.

Won in good style? Maybe Richmond and Bris, in any case we're struggling for good consistent form. Geelong have improved much more so since round 1 than we have. Sure there's a case to be made that we could beat them but not on current form imo.

Degoey has the yips and wouldn't agree that WHE is in "cracking" form. Reid had a good game but needs to straighten his kicking if he wants to keep his spot, and our mids aren't taking any real advantage of Grundy's work.

Yeah it's good winning but we're not overly convincing or near potential at the minute.

Port could significantly improve if Dixon, Hartlett and Gray come back.

Don't think it'll mean we are contenders at all, but there's only upside if they come back.

Best fwd by a mile, best player by a mile and best running defender (no more DBJ or Bonner burning it)

Won in good style? Maybe Richmond and Bris, in any case we're struggling for good consistent form. Geelong have improved much more so since round 1 than we have. Sure there's a case to be made that we could beat them but not on current form imo.

Degoey has the yips and wouldn't agree that WHE is in "cracking" form. Reid had a good game but needs to straighten his kicking if he wants to keep his spot, and our mids aren't taking any real advantage of Grundy's work.

Yeah it's good winning but we're not overly convincing or near potential at the minute.

I admire your honesty, but I think your selling us short a little bit. Yes, we definitely have been in patchy form I’ll admit. But re-visit the 1st quarter against Port. That’s the best footy played by anyone so far, would have been perfect football if we kicked straight.
GWS
Pies
Cats
Right now on there day any of these 3. Means nothing in May

On current form you'd have them favourites in all those games, yeah things can and will change. The giants have grown up so to speak- they're a serious team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles last year lost the first game and then won like the next ten. Generally speaking the eventual Premier starts the season off well. Not always of course - there are some exceptions - but winning games early shouldn’t be seen as a negative.

Ultimately teams that peak too early are a result of young teams starting well and then tiring out, or one or two players going crazy and then being pressured. None of which apply to Geelong. Not saying they will win the flag of course - far to early and a horrendous finals experience - but they will make finals and if they lose it won’t be because they peaked too early.

Lets see if we they are in the conversation in 10 weeks time (they wont be).

That’s the best footy played by anyone so far, would have been perfect football if we kicked straight.

That is rightly debatable, for mine there's more in there. Obviously you can't play at peak 4 qtrs week in week out over 27 rounds, did we play at peak in that 1st qtr? I'd argue not just as much you could argue it was - if that was our peak footy we're not winning a flag. For mine we haven't at all reached peak and gladly so, a glimpse maybe but we need to do so come september.

That's a huge call if you're referring WC! The potential of the champs is unknown and given their outs it almost has zero ceiling same GWS their list is flooded with elite talent.

Write off WC at your peril, if that's what you're doing.

Im talking about Geelong you dentally challenged cretin.

Nice! dentally challenged. Lol that's a good one. Geelong: it's hard to deny them rights as fav at the minute. If you're writing them off do so at your peril.

*btw as a 49 yo I'm not dentally challenged.

A Brisbane supporter getting cocky? Well this is a new one. I like Brisbane, but you have definitely not earned that right yet. It's more likely that we'll be in the conversation in 10 weeks time and you won't be, if we're being brutally honest.

Richmond and West Coast are getting smashed way too often to be on track for a Premiership in my opinion. Both lost by 40+ point 3 times this season. Sydney 2005 are the only side since 2000 who lost 40+ three times and won the Premiership.

The problem is that they have been thumped this much in 7 rounds, so there is no guarantee that they won’t get smashed again. It’s definitely a concern if I am going to be honest.

Im talking about Geelong you dentally challenged cretin.

So we win 6 out of 7 against 6 finalists from last season and Adelaide in Adelaide, but it’s the best couple of months that is going to bring us undone, and we haven’t actually played a game at full strength yet (though i realise few teams have).

In the next 10 weeks we play North, GCS, Dogs (twice), St Kilda, Sydney, Hawthorn.

If we win the games against those sides - which we should - we’ll get through to round 17 at 13-4.

A Brisbane supporter getting
So we win 6 out of 7 against 6 finalists from last season and Adelaide in Adelaide, but it’s the best couple of months that is going to bring us undone, and we haven’t actually played a game at full strength yet (though i realise few teams have).

In the next 10 weeks we play North, GCS, Dogs (twice), St Kilda, Sydney, Hawthorn.

If we win the games against those sides - which we should - we’ll get through to round 17 at 13-4.

I get that people get irrationally defensive about their own footy team but you don't need to be. You've started well (by virtue of playing a lot of oppo at the right time when they are down on form or injury) but flags aren't won in May.

It could be.

How they manage the first year players through the season will be interesting. The only first year player we took into finals last year was Zac Langdon and he was a 21yo draftee. Bonar, Daniels and Taylor all were arguably best 22.

Doesn't mean that's the only way or even the right way but I think we made a choice for experience in September. I also doubt if 18yo's can go thriugh the weekly grind all season without some management of their game time.

Getting the Bulldogs twice is a huge advantage.

We've got the Tigers again and will settle for that though.

Contenders:

Collingwood - very good football side
Geelong - still not totally convinced but I think they’ll be thereabouts

Pretenders:

GWS - mentally weak

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Back