List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Brockman is fine. I’m not sure why people think he’s a bust.

Sure he’s had issues off field & his production on field could be better but he looks good when he gets it & it normally leads of goals.

He’s halfway through his first season at a new club give him a break ffs
Not a bust, he can do some fwd pressure type of stuff and go OK.
However he is really the definition of mediocrity.
Patty McGinnity was probably more effective at that role if thats all we are happy with.

Rumour doing the rounds
f924b988be4447653c8753e20ae241a7.jpg
Terrible rumour .

1 . He is a vic mummies boy who didn't want to leave home during the draft

2. He has businesses in Victoria modelling and events that he won't want to leave .

3 . His manager has said he might even give footy away early if he wants to focus on his businesses.

I think he has figured out he becomes much less relevant if he is not playing footy with outside opportunities and will play on .

That being said he will be an instant boost for who ever gets him because he can seriously play

You rate players in very strange ways, I've noticed...

Bloke hasn't put together 'half' a decent season, he's been one of the best in the comp since 2022.
He's mostly an outside player who can't kick, and never gets attention in a stacked midfield.

He's had a few outstanding games this year where he's kicked a heap of goals but outside of that is just another part player.

We have Yeo and Kelly who are better already. Hewett can be the same level plus Reid and our 2024 R1 pick so we have options there already without blowing the bank.

The idea of improving our list is to add to our list without losing quality players .

We are not GWS or GC and be overflowing with talent that you can pick and choose who stays and goes .

Barrass needs to do what McGovern, yeo , cripps , shuey , hurn all did and see out his contract at 31 then be worth another one .

I'm not against splitting our pick to get another first rounder for the draft .

I am against splitting our pick or trading barrass to get assets for Baker.

He is not worth it .

Agreed Barrass needs to wait to demand an extension.

Just pointing out where and why Barrass may instigate a trade request. As pointed out it seems his management approached the Swans last year, not the club shopping him around.

Would you extend TB two more years to 2029 plus increase his contract dollars?

His comment was "unless the club pulls out the rug from under me".

What rug? What is he refering to exactly?

He has agreed to a contract around $800k for three more seasons ending 2027.

The club looks 100% committed to TB until the end of 2027.

Also agree TB going should have nothing to do with Baker. Nor should splitting our 1st or trading our 2025 1st.

Last edited:
I don't think searching for Hoskin will help you, no. Unless you're looking at buying/selling property.
I am actually. Probably not in Hoskin's area but I can take a look.

If the rumours are true and we have tabled a deal to baker I think trading our future first is likely in play. We’re not going to table a deal and then not get the trade done.

Richmond get 9, 10 from GC for Rioli and I would hope some other picks going back to GC otherwise it’s more vfl rort.

Baker, one of these picks and probably steely green going to eagles for its F1 and a later pick.

Eagles take O’Sullivan and Lalor or travaglia with 2024 firsts.

Perhaps AFL come to the party with a 2024 2R that must be traded for busslinger otherwise it’s most likely this years 2R goes to dogs for him. If AFL do then use our 2R on mraz, Murphy Reid, Allen, Urquart etc.

Personally I’m in the camp that our draft capital needs to be used as efficiently as possible finding our future premiership team and that isn’t spending the little we have on what will be a 27 year old role player.
No way we trade our future 1st . It takes us out of trading for warner

I have a pretty close mutual friend with Steely Green from Richmond - he has a two year contract on the table from us.
I am certainly not doubting your news, however, do we know if this two year contract offer from the Eagles is for the AFL or WAFL team?

It's one thing to get a two year offer from the Eagles, its a little different if it's for the WAFL team in order to assist with his development, with the aim of getting on to the AFL list.

He's mostly an outside player who can't kick, and never gets attention in a stacked midfield.

He's had a few outstanding games this year where he's kicked a heap of goals but outside of that is just another part player.

We have Yeo and Kelly who are better already. Hewett can be the same level plus Reid and our 2024 R1 pick so we have options there already without blowing the bank.

Warner, an outside player who can't kick and never gets attention.

Right.

Are we watching the same player, or are you watching his brother in the VFL?

So thinking about trade options, we need to be realistic as to where the list is at.

My personal perspective is as follows:-

1. A club needs to draft sufficient elite talent (A graders) with a balance of very good role players (B and C+) talent in order to be competing at the pointy end. We are only part way through this and need either a big draft haul now or this and next year's draft.

2. Early picks will be worth more now than when the Tassie start-up begins to be given concessions. Trading 2 years into the future will likely be discounted.

3. Be cautious of WA talent wanting to come home - if they are over 24 then they are likely to be coming for a big day out on the salary cap. We have good players on all lines that will set standards so no need to panic, especially if it will cost draft currency.

4. We need to be active in non WA free agents. Hunt and Flynn made a lot of sense although Hunt especially copped a lot of criticism on our board.

5. We have assembled a load of young talls - we now need to see what they can do. I was pleasantly surprised as to how good Jack Williams was this year and I know he can play at the level, not an A grader but a solid all to come in to cover an injured Bailey or Oscar.

6. From a game style perspective, we lack elite kicking and pace from our half backs. We also are 2 midfielders short of an engine room that can compete at the top end. We also need to address the wings and Chesser may make it but we need more of the Windsor types.

7. Remember we have built a history of retaining msot Vic talent and the idea that we start shopping contracted Vic talent is crazy given we have 17 Victorians on our list. It would take Bailey coming to the club and asking for an out, not tapping Bailey because we want a late R2 pick. Likewise with Petruccelle and Cole.

So I look at who is being touted. Runs them over my filter

Liam Baker - I say no because of point 3.
Tim English - I say no because he is just not that good.
Jedd Busslinger - I say yes provided it is at the right price.
Chad Warner - I say no because he will cost too much this year and next year. We are not getting him without a serious hurt to our draft capital and stop us fulfilling point 1 requirement. I doubt he wants to play in a bottom 4 club and try to get them up.
Isaac Cummings - I say yes to - he will cost nothing and allow us to delist some cloggers.
Harry Perryman - I say yes as per Cummings but hearing the Crows and others are better placed and prepared to pay more.
Jack Graham - I say no because he is slow and will not suit our new game plan.
Steely Green - I say no because he is not that good.
Dev Robertson - I say yes for a free hit but no if required a trade (I would accept a swap of R4 picks with the Lions).
Jack Carroll - same as Robertson

The only player I see I am prepared to trade out is Tom Barrass. But it would need to be at the right price. He is probably on something like $750k through to 2027. That is probably 3 years x $150k under the market. He would likely get another 2 years with the Dogs so if that is tempting, I would want Pick 6 from that Dogs get from Hawks plus Busslinger. I would even be prepared to pay a bit of his salary to make it happen. If it is a pick in the teens (ie Cats or Hawks go on a run) then no salary paid and I might ask for Garcia as well. For those against giving up Tom, remember you need to give up quality to get quality.

The draft pool looks light on at the very pointy end but even from 3 to 15 and then really decent from 16 to 30. In fact the shape of it feels like 2017. If we end up with pick 2, I suspect there will be offers. My ideal offer is to do a deal with Freo and get their first 2 R1 picks this year (say 8 and 12) for pick 2 and an agreement that we will not cut their Warner deal and their Logan deal.

We then deal with the Suns who have 3 R1 picks so should be able to match Lombard with their Norf end of R1 pick 20 and happily sell off their own and Dogs R1. Would the offer of a top 4 pick in 2025 tempt the Suns to give up say 7 and 9?

Instead of Barrass, pick 2 and a F1, we come away with Busslinger, picks 6, 7, 8, 12, 20 and 23 and no R1 in 2025.

Go to the draft and fill our needs.

This is an example - Sam Lalor, Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Jobe Shanahan, Matt Whitlock and Noah Mraz. Alternatively we might decide to bring in both Whitlock boys and go mids and pace for the rest. Please do not respond on who you like or dislike in my example, think about what you would do with that draft hand. We might even be able to go for Bo Allan with a late teens or one of the picks in the 20's.

Give that talent to Noah Long and charge him with making them feel welcome in the Young Boys Club he is leading.

Unless one of our Academy or FS talents jumps up big time, we will have enough picks to match the C+ to B graders in 2025. We can always sell our 2026 F1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I still don't rate him that highly despite all the gushing.

So far hes put together half a good season when his team has been on top of the ladder.

100% do not want to pay the price for someone whose peak is in the review mirror.
Gun who turned 23 last month is past his peak already, riiiiiight.

Terrible rumour .

1 . He is a vic mummies boy who didn't want to leave home during the draft

2. He has businesses in Victoria modelling and events that he won't want to leave .

3 . His manager has said he might even give footy away early if he wants to focus on his businesses.

I think he has figured out he becomes much less relevant if he is not playing footy with outside opportunities and will play on .

That being said he will be an instant boost for who ever gets him because he can seriously play
It'd amaze me to no end if he actually did decide to leave Vic but Dunkley was the same when he was drafted and he's now playing for Brisbane.

Don't recall him getting a Dr's cert and showing it to non-Vic clubs like Smith did though.

It'd amaze me to no end if he actually did decide to leave Vic but Dunkley was the same when he was drafted and he's now playing for Brisbane.

Don't recall him getting a Dr's cert and showing it to non-Vic clubs like Smith did though.
Wingard the same.

Can’t see it happening though with Smith, plenty of teams are interested.

Looked an absolute Jet a few years ago. I think if he gets back to full time mid he would be a very nice pick up for Hawks or Cats

So thinking about trade options, we need to be realistic as to where the list is at.

My personal perspective is as follows:-

1. A club needs to draft sufficient elite talent (A graders) with a balance of very good role players (B and C+) talent in order to be competing at the pointy end. We are only part way through this and need either a big draft haul now or this and next year's draft.

2. Early picks will be worth more now than when the Tassie start-up begins to be given concessions. Trading 2 years into the future will likely be discounted.

3. Be cautious of WA talent wanting to come home - if they are over 24 then they are likely to be coming for a big day out on the salary cap. We have good players on all lines that will set standards so no need to panic, especially if it will cost draft currency.

4. We need to be active in non WA free agents. Hunt and Flynn made a lot of sense although Hunt especially copped a lot of criticism on our board.

5. We have assembled a load of young talls - we now need to see what they can do. I was pleasantly surprised as to how good Jack Williams was this year and I know he can play at the level, not an A grader but a solid all to come in to cover an injured Bailey or Oscar.

6. From a game style perspective, we lack elite kicking and pace from our half backs. We also are 2 midfielders short of an engine room that can compete at the top end. We also need to address the wings and Chesser may make it but we need more of the Windsor types.

7. Remember we have built a history of retaining msot Vic talent and the idea that we start shopping contracted Vic talent is crazy given we have 17 Victorians on our list. It would take Bailey coming to the club and asking for an out, not tapping Bailey because we want a late R2 pick. Likewise with Petruccelle and Cole.

So I look at who is being touted. Runs them over my filter

Liam Baker - I say no because of point 3.
Tim English - I say no because he is just not that good.
Jedd Busslinger - I say yes provided it is at the right price.
Chad Warner - I say no because he will cost too much this year and next year. We are not getting him without a serious hurt to our draft capital and stop us fulfilling point 1 requirement. I doubt he wants to play in a bottom 4 club and try to get them up.
Isaac Cummings - I say yes to - he will cost nothing and allow us to delist some cloggers.
Harry Perryman - I say yes as per Cummings but hearing the Crows and others are better placed and prepared to pay more.
Jack Graham - I say no because he is slow and will not suit our new game plan.
Steely Green - I say no because he is not that good.
Dev Robertson - I say yes for a free hit but no if required a trade (I would accept a swap of R4 picks with the Lions).
Jack Carroll - same as Robertson

The only player I see I am prepared to trade out is Tom Barrass. But it would need to be at the right price. He is probably on something like $750k through to 2027. That is probably 3 years x $150k under the market. He would likely get another 2 years with the Dogs so if that is tempting, I would want Pick 6 from that Dogs get from Hawks plus Busslinger. I would even be prepared to pay a bit of his salary to make it happen. If it is a pick in the teens (ie Cats or Hawks go on a run) then no salary paid and I might ask for Garcia as well. For those against giving up Tom, remember you need to give up quality to get quality.

The draft pool looks light on at the very pointy end but even from 3 to 15 and then really decent from 16 to 30. In fact the shape of it feels like 2017. If we end up with pick 2, I suspect there will be offers. My ideal offer is to do a deal with Freo and get their first 2 R1 picks this year (say 8 and 12) for pick 2 and an agreement that we will not cut their Warner deal and their Logan deal.

We then deal with the Suns who have 3 R1 picks so should be able to match Lombard with their Norf end of R1 pick 20 and happily sell off their own and Dogs R1. Would the offer of a top 4 pick in 2025 tempt the Suns to give up say 7 and 9?

Instead of Barrass, pick 2 and a F1, we come away with Busslinger, picks 6, 7, 8, 12, 20 and 23 and no R1 in 2025.

Go to the draft and fill our needs.

This is an example - Sam Lalor, Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Jobe Shanahan, Matt Whitlock and Noah Mraz. Alternatively we might decide to bring in both Whitlock boys and go mids and pace for the rest. Please do not respond on who you like or dislike in my example, think about what you would do with that draft hand. We might even be able to go for Bo Allan with a late teens or one of the picks in the 20's.

Give that talent to Noah Long and charge him with making them feel welcome in the Young Boys Club he is leading.

Unless one of our Academy or FS talents jumps up big time, we will have enough picks to match the C+ to B graders in 2025. We can always sell our 2026 F1.

Good summary and agree on everything. Warner will cost too much, sooner we accept that and move on the better.

Did think of Little Briton reading through the list and the I say yes......I say no.

little britain television GIF

I reckon I'm taking Smith and Buss for our first. I think it improves our team considerably, Smith in that midfield really complements the others.

For pick 2 or 3 [which is what I assume we'll have] I'm not sure about this. Rate them both but on the other hand one is returning from a knee and has a history with mental health, the other is in his 3rd year and still hasn't played an AFL game.

I like both players though, something like a pick 8 and over I'd be keen, maybe sending a b grade player the other way to sweeten the deal.

Warner, an outside player who can't kick and never gets attention.

Right.

Are we watching the same player, or are you watching his brother in the VFL?
Im not saying he's deficient but he's not a winger, and does his best work using his pace on the outside of stoppages.

61st in the AFL for average contested possessions. 15th average (6th Total) for clangers.
The numbers tend to back up my personal viewpoint.
He's obviously a good player but doesn't exactly shit gold like some here think.

Im not saying he's deficient but he's not a winger, and does his best work using his pace on the outside of stoppages.

61st in the AFL for average contested possessions. 15th average (6th Total) for clangers.
The numbers tend to back up my personal viewpoint.
He's obviously a good player but doesn't exactly shit gold like some here think.
I don't think he shits gold either but in a stacked team, he's had some pretty high B&F finishes.

He's not someone who gets carried.

Back