Autopsy Round 15, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Duggan wouldnt be in there for his disposal, hes there to man the most damaging opponent mid. Hes going to get the ball whether hes at half back or mid, but as I said its not about Duggan.

Get the ball in Ginbeys hands, thats by far the easiest off half back
Or we could let ginbey keep developing in the position he’s going to play and not play Duggan where he isn’t very good.

Or we could let ginbey keep developing in the position he’s going to play and not play Duggan where he isn’t very good.
Ginbey to half back makes sense. A lot of mids come into the AFL as a half back or half forward, usually because the teams they come into already have a full AFL-level midfield. Whoever we draft with our first pick this year is not going to be a walk up start in the midfield next year because we'll be pretty set there.

Ginbey to half back makes sense. A lot of mids come into the AFL as a half back or half forward, usually because the teams they come into already have a full AFL-level midfield. Whoever we draft with our first pick this year is not going to be a walk up start in the midfield next year because we'll be pretty set there.
When those players eventually get to play mid they still have to learn to play mid.

Hough is playing such a tough role. In a one pace backline that has and will concede alot of inside 50s... I trust it wont faze him, baptism of fire.. and just you wait fellas he will be a Sheppard type albeit not top 10 draft pick
Nah cole is a decent small back with pace and hardness . Hough is not doing it alone .

Duggans problem in the middle is exactly his problem at half back but more exposed- he has no composure with the ball. He's one of the worst culprits in our team for refusing to lower the eyes and just blast it.

He's hard as hell which is great for contests in the backline but if the ball is in his hands in the centre circle it's most likely going back over his head 15 seconds later.

My main takeaway from today was that Brockman was really good in the middle. Every time he went in there he seem to win a clearance for us or be involved
in getting first hands to the footy.

Got some wheels too.

Something we are a little short of.

Be good to see him given more opportunities in midfield

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

When those players eventually get to play mid they still have to learn to play mid.
I don't think stallon is saying 'don't play Ginbey as a mid'. He'll still rotate through the midfield at times. I believe the suggestion is more about finding Ginbey a primary position that will help develop certain attributes.

Maybe a bit controversial.

I'm not happy with the way Ginbey is being coached or mentored. Right now to me he is so focused on watching a player that he misses opportunities to win the ball. ( except funnily enough when he plays wing). when he often wins the ball in the contest he is very quickly looking for a give when maybe he could step and use his strength to hold up in the tackle. He often flays his arms and plays with his bodyweight off the ground.
Look he's a kid but when he goes on the ball just let him run at it like Harley. And obviously when they get more midfield options then play the kid wing, where he can use his pace.

Left footers always have that great deception side step...he doesn't have it because he just wants to get rid of it quickly. He needs to be able to play a more freer game or it's going to take 3 years before we see this kid gain more composure.
Ginbey had a tagging role today in addition to winning his own ball.
Thought he had an excellent game today.

I don't think stallon is saying 'don't play Ginbey as a mid'. He'll still rotate through the midfield at times. I believe the suggestion is more about finding Ginbey a primary position that will help develop certain attributes.
But developing his ball use off a half back flank isnt the same as developing his ball use in the contest. Duggan goes from being a 50/50 kick in the backline to being terrible as an inside mid. Its just not the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he is an actual ruckman who can't be pushed off the ball .

Clearly Flynn with Jack Williams is the superior ruck combo .

Need to keep bailey going to keep his trade value up
Flynn was bullied by draper today mate. Was pushed off the ball way more often than BWilliams. I rated the Flynn pick up but he has been worse than Bailey thus far.

But developing his ball use off a half back flank isnt the same as developing his ball use in the contest. Duggan goes from being a 50/50 kick in the backline to being terrible as an inside mid. Its just not the same.
100% I get that. But the focus is on Ginbey's development, not Duggan's role for the short term. All I'm saying is I get the idea.

100% I get that. But the focus is on Ginbey's development, not Duggan's role for the short term. All I'm saying is I get the idea.
I do get the idea as well but I just dont buy that developing your kicking skills at half back makes you a better disposer in stoppages.

Surely the way to get better is to just keep plugging away at the skill in question. Theres way to much focus on it anyway on a second year player.

Am okay with that game, they all got to blow out some rust after the bye and were actually quite competitive for most of the game. You could see a fresh intensity and resolve about them.
Clearly the combo of Allen, Jake and JD needs to settle, work out their running patterns and positioning etc.
BBW, Flynn and JW is a conundrum, needs sorting.

Coach gets slammed for not experimenting or shuffling the magnets enough, then gets slammed when he does - a rock and a hard place? Let's say now he knows who and what works better where...will see next week?
Intense pressure is usually our undoing, team looked unsettled, clumsy, rushed > some deplorable kicking.
Was always going to be a tough one with a depleted midfield.
Still an improvement all up on last season, for an away game against a supposedly top 4 side.

You can see the two teams respect each other post game. Dons look much improved with fast clean ball movement and accurate scoring, all lines improved - it's where we need to be; and I believe it's coming for us! I think you can see our basic framework is coming together, just need to top up and some players replaced as required at the right time.
We should be an improved consistent team next season with some additions and subtractions.

Next week promises to be a cracker with almost our best 23 in place for the season so far, home game!

Last edited:
Stop trying to make Ginbey HBF happen it's not going to happen. Ginbey has a shit kick. Deplorable kick.

He's doing fine developing in the mids. Not every kid drafted has versatility or needs it to play different positions

possitives:
-Put in a 3 3/4 quarter effort.
-Didn't get flogged by a 100.
-we have Waterman... and Allen
-Ryan's best game in years
-Barras and McGovern remain unsung hero's.
-Maric has found his role.
-Chessers best game, running both offensively and defensively
-Cripps most under rated forward and over scrutinised player

Negatives:
Petch: 6 year player. Wasn't to be seen for three quarters, and due to others efforts gets on the end of two to tape over the gaping crack he leaves in team selection. I wouldn't hold a stock for 6 years if it showed the amount of growth he has.
Him out, dewar in.

Flynn and Williams minimal contribution due to lack of skills and disposals cost us any chance we had to win that game.

Flynn looked gassed by the end of the first quarter, piss weak around the contest for the unit he is.
Williams hand skills are horrible, and his lack of defensive pressure due to his inability to read direction of the opponent leaves him to be a traffic cone in second efforts.

- JJ, has moments of space and composure, all to be ruined by a horrible turnover, and or lack of capitalising on an opportunity.

Him out, Culley in

Playing only Chesser, Ginbey, Brockman, Maric as 22 starters kills me. Hutch as sub. Oh man.

No eyes for the future.

Then we give these blokes ANOTHER go.....

Petch - the HFF version of Darcy Fogarty. Has the odd promising flash but never plays a 4 qtr game.

Jones - Battler. Never lifts above a C grade player.

Rotham - Battler. Never lifts above a C grade player.

Cole - Battler. Never lifts above a C grade player.

B Williams - If he ain't first ruck he ain't better than a D grade player.

Why are we playing these 5 in the same team?

2 max, play kids. Give us something for next year.

Jesus.

Playing only Chesser, Ginbey, Brockman, Maric as 22 starters kills me. Hutch as sub. Oh man.

No eyes for the future.

Petch - the HFF version of Darcy Fogarty. Has the odd promising flash but never plays a 4 qtr game.

Jesus.
You forgot Hough but I don't disagree with your point.

We had 17 (yes, 17!) players today 24 or older. That is 17 players who have no excuses.

Simmo prattles on about experience, youth, development but it's all a smoke screen. These excuses count for naught when there are 17 senior players. And of the other 5, three of them in third year, 2 in second.

Not saying today was a terrible effort, but in the context of the season, only winning 3 games, we should be doing better

No eyes for the future.

Jesus.
Don't insult foggerty like that. I'd take him over petch any day

No eyes for the future.

Jesus.
What kids?
Hall is an inside mid and not replacing any of those 5.
Trew also inside mid and on the delist pile
Jack Williams is a tall Key Fwd / 2nd Ruck and has been getting games, could likely swap with Williams.
Burgiel is a HBF who has been completely putrid this year in the WAFL when not injured.
Luke Edwards - Slow Mid.
Culley - Tall and Slow, more a fwd than a mid.
Harry Edwards - Slower Key Back, not a HBF.
Barnett and Livingstone - Young rucks that need a lot more time to bake.
Baker - Delist pile
Archer Reid - Key Forward
Loch Rawlinson - 1st year and not exactly tearing up the WAFL

Dewar - Having his best season to date, still quite raw and doesn't have the fitness base for a full game at AFL level but is the only one outside of maybe Hedwards and Jilliams who would be good enough from the 2's to come in but none of them are replacing those 5.

Maybe Jilliams for Billiams would be the only one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back