List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
6 of the 8 players that went before him in the draft. Plus Hollands, Fletcher, Michalanney and Weddle.

They might not all be getting the same fantasy points or what ever metrics you are using to rate Ginbey, and some don’t get a game every week, but they all perform better in the different roles they play, have demonstrated better skills than Ginbey, and know how to actually play the game.
That’s very debatable with most of those players there’s very little in it. Not mentioning that two of those players are FA selections either. If you want to stir trouble go elsewhere Briz.

Sheezel, Wardlaw and Weddle are the exceptions. But of course two of them didn’t want to leave Victoria which seems to escape some of our posters that continue to bemoan the fact we didn’t select them and the other went as a second round pick.

Last edited:

That’s very debatable with most of those players there’s very little in it. Not mentioning that two of those players are FA selections either. If you want to stir trouble go elsewhere Briz.

Sheezel, Wardlaw and Weddle are the exceptions. But of course two of them didn’t want to leave Victoria which seems to escape some of our posters that continue to bemoan the fact we didn’t select them and the other went as a second round pick.
Shueygod asked a question, I gave a straight answer.

And Weddle at pick 18 was most definitely a first round pick.

Happy to have a debate any time you want.

Shueygod asked a question, I gave a straight answer.

And Weddle at pick 18 was most definitely a first round pick.

Happy to have a debate any time you want.
Thx for checking Wiki I thought Weddle was an early second but as it turns out only 14 clubs passed on him and some twice.
I’d be happy to have a debate but probably happier if you fukced off back to the Brisbane board.

Last edited:
Yeah we pretty much had to split as the top end were cry babies

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or we just stop using this as an excuse. Back ourselves in to turn them around or get full value in a trade if they do bail.

I’m sure most draftees don’t want to leave their home state.

Name me the 8 better performing players from Ginbeys draft.
Listing said players is not the same thing as claiming he's decreased in value.

What's more relevant is could we trade him for pick 6 or 7 this year (these probably end up as 9)? I really don't think we could, but for the sake of the exercise players in Ginbey's draft who have more VALUE than him are:
Unquestionably: Sheezel, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Cadman, Weddle
IMO: Hewett, Cameron Mackenzie, Humphrey, Phillipou, Long

Depending on personal opinion there are also others in the mix: Clark, Tsatas, J Fletcher etc.

Listing said players is not the same thing as claiming he's decreased in value.

What's more relevant is could we trade him for pick 6 or 7 this year (these probably end up as 9)? I really don't think we could, but for the sake of the exercise players in Ginbey's draft who have more VALUE than him are:
Unquestionably: Sheezel, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Cadman, Weddle
IMO: Hewett, Cameron Mackenzie, Humphrey, Phillipou, Long

Depending on personal opinion there are also others in the mix: Clark, Tsatas, J Fletcher etc.
Cadman is not he is still developing, and he is better than Cameron Mackenzie, Humphrey, Phillipou, Long

Our 2022 draft was fine Ginbey will be a beast and hewett will be good as well we made the right decision splitting the pick as we needed to get as much talent in. Sheezel get the majority of his touches from kickouts but Wardlaw is a gun but these 2 will be just as good as we know 2 is better than 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks a pretty weak draft overall. One thing that does need to be taken into consideration though is how physically developed Ginbey is compared to the rest of the draft pool. He’s athletically gifted enough to suggest he will reach his ceiling quicker than your average draftee.

6 of the 8 players that went before him in the draft. Plus Hollands, Fletcher, Michalanney and Weddle.

They might not all be getting the same fantasy points or what ever metrics you are using to rate Ginbey, and some don’t get a game every week, but they all perform better in the different roles they play, have demonstrated better skills than Ginbey, and know how to actually play the game.
Ginbey’s been ‘getting the fantasy points’ because he’s been played in the guts since day one. A couple of players who can’t get a game week to week and are playing a less important role aren’t tracking better. Throw them in the guts and their nous would suddenly seem lacking. Ginbey is learning the hardest possible way. Yesterday was a tough day but there’s already been better and I reckon he’ll come out of the experience better. He’s only in his second year.

Smillie is yet to really tear a game apart at this years Champs, but continues to put in solid performances and play his role for a Metro team that's in fine form overall. In this game he showcased his excellent foot skills with spearing delivery to teammates, often cleverly kicking to their advantage side. Smillie is yet to convince everyone that he's worthy of pick 1 favoritism and this performance is unlikely to change anyone's mind in either direction.

Ginbey’s been ‘getting the fantasy points’ because he’s been played in the guts since day one. A couple of players who can’t get a game week to week and are playing a less important role aren’t tracking better. Throw them in the guts and their nous would suddenly seem lacking. Ginbey is learning the hardest possible way. Yesterday was a tough day but there’s already been better and I reckon he’ll come out of the experience better. He’s only in his second year.
So much this. Hes tracking fine.
So much of our problems is above the cattle we have.

Ginbey is going fine, pretty much as expected I would’ve thought, numbers are a little low but no one can find the ball besides Duggan. Will be a great defensive mid imo.

Need a link man in the middle and elite kicking half back flankers badly. Will bring in our wingers and mids numbers is increase.

Horrible game and really was energy sapping.

Not sure why Baker or anyone how has the option of both WA clubs at the similar money would choose the Eagles atm. Need to get some respect back quickly and not great games to come home with to do it.

Wow. I actually see a lot of Sheezel in how Murphy Reid plays

He's creative with ball in hand and super polished
Very good call, I was getting the same vibes on him. Purely because he's got silk when in possession and disposal, he never wastes a disposals even when under pressure he'll find a target with quick elite hands.
I'm going early on it here, but he might just be the only player I wouldn't split our first pick for!

I love that he has durability in roles he can play, through the middle, wing, half forward and I reckon he'd be damaging off half back.

Ginbey's development this year has been pretty good. Still only his second season and it is unfair to compare him to the likes of Reid and Hewett, who are always going to be more flashier players. Ideally, Ginbey moves into Yeo's role next season as an extractor. Get the ball first and give it to Reid, Kelly and Hewett and let them go to work.

Bring in Baker and Bailey Smith on the cheap. at least they'll be entertaining

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Langford continued his strong start to the Champs with a hard working display in tricky conditions. The leading possession winner on the day, his size and physicality was a factor at stoppage and he was even more effective on the spread, finding plenty of space to take marks and advance the ball.

Cadman is not he is still developing, and he is better than Cameron Mackenzie, Humphrey, Phillipou, Long
The fact Cadman is still developing is part of my point.
I suspect no team in the AFL thinks Ginbey has more trade value than Cadman (not even WCE).
Ginbey's doing okay, but unfortunately he hasn't shown much development against his pre-draft concerns thus far, and thus his value has decreased rather than increased. Still looks like an athlete who plays football rather than a footballer.

The fact Cadman is still developing is part of my point.
I suspect no team in the AFL thinks Ginbey has more trade value than Cadman (not even WCE).
Ginbey's doing okay, but unfortunately he hasn't shown much development against his pre-draft concerns thus far, and thus his value has decreased rather than increased. Still looks like an athlete who plays football rather than a footballer.
This is what Koutoufides was - he didn’t turn out bad.

Back