List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Both played due to the shit ton of injuries as opposed to the spot Witho is in now where he is considered best 22.
Witho is only best 22 due to lack of anyone else pushing for selection.

Wouldn't be best 22 for 14 other teams in the league .

Brisbane paid for him to not play at their club .

The numbers don't jump off the page, but for me this was Trainor's best Champs performance to date. He was matched up on the dangerous Tyler Welsh, and kept him quiet for the first three quarters before conceding a couple of aerial contests late. We saw the kind of defender that he's likely to become at AFL level, someone that's capable of taking on those tricky forwards that push up high up the ground and into the midfield forcing matchup chaos like Jeremy Cameron and Jake Stringer. Trainor has the running power and ground level ability to thrive higher up the ground while still being strong enough in the air to deal with deeper contests and 1v1s.

Really hope we don't get him. Just not our biggest need

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting article from Haselby (of all people) in SEN.

Pretty much said a new coaching staff will be able to make the tough calls that Simmo and the MC seem to be scared to make.
Pretty much an external review conducted internally - referenced Hawthorn being able to make the tough calls on - Tom Mitchell/Gunston/Shiels/Omeara which helped their rebuild - and the Eagles should look to do the same

Unfortunately, I tend to agree......
It’s easy to say let’s make the tough calls, harder to explain what they might be. The Hawks had a few older players with trade value, were able to get something out of them. Not sure we have the same value players.

Obviously the one player with value would be Barrass. That would qualify as a tough call given how vital he is to us not getting smacked even harder. It’s easier to plug a young kid into the midfield than full back. That said, it would be tough with some genuine benefits.

Same could be said for trading out Waterman, maybe to Freo if we could convince them to part with one of their teen picks.

Calling time on Darling and Sheed would qualify. Though I suspect Sheed as depth could be excused given Gaff will be gone. Provided he genuinely is used as depth only.

Other than that, maybe trading out BWilliams, Cole or Petruccelle for second or third round picks but I wouldn’t list them as tough calls.

Having said all that, I may have convinced myself we should keep Barrass, trade Waterman for a teens pick if he can maintain his form, BWilliams for a second rounder, Petruccelle for what we can get, hit the draft even harder this year.

Pretty much said a new coaching staff will be able to make the tough calls that Simmo and the MC seem to be scared to make.
Pretty much an external review conducted internally - referenced Hawthorn being able to make the tough calls on - Tom Mitchell/Gunston/Shiels/Omeara which helped their rebuild - and the Eagles should look to do the same

Bit too early to call Hawthorn's list management strategy a success, I reckon. I know we just got annihilated by their midfield, but they don't nearly have the class on their list to go all the way.

If they reckon they can simply plug some holes by trading and FA, bringing in a Bailey Smith etc, I can see them spending a lengthy time stuck in the middle of the ladder ala what Port have done.

I would much rather keep building from the draft over the next few years.

Bit too early to call Hawthorn's list management strategy a success, I reckon. I know we just got annihilated by their midfield, but they don't nearly have the class on their list to go all the way.

If they reckon they can simply plug some holes by trading and FA, bringing in a Bailey Smith etc, I can see them spending a lengthy time stuck in the middle of the ladder ala what Port have done.

I would much rather keep building from the draft over the next few years.
Hawks are also in the honeymoon period with chol .
He did the same thing at Richmond and in his first year at GC . Worked hard and applied himself then got lazy .

Still they are trending up . If they add another top 10 pick or bailey Smith it will certainly help their trajectory

It’s easy to say let’s make the tough calls, harder to explain what they might be. The Hawks had a few older players with trade value, were able to get something out of them. Not sure we have the same value players.

Obviously the one player with value would be Barrass. That would qualify as a tough call given how vital he is to us not getting smacked even harder. It’s easier to plug a young kid into the midfield than full back. That said, it would be tough with some genuine benefits.

Same could be said for trading out Waterman, maybe to Freo if we could convince them to part with one of their teen picks.

Calling time on Darling and Sheed would qualify. Though I suspect Sheed as depth could be excused given Gaff will be gone. Provided he genuinely is used as depth only.

Other than that, maybe trading out BWilliams, Cole or Petruccelle for second or third round picks but I wouldn’t list them as tough calls.

Having said all that, I may have convinced myself we should keep Barrass, trade Waterman for a teens pick if he can maintain his form, BWilliams for a second rounder, Petruccelle for what we can get, hit the draft even harder this year.
Waterman would likely attract band 1 FA compo next year if he maintains his form so I wouldn’t trade him this year. A different trade I’d look at with Freo is swapping Liam Ryan and 200k of salary for Neil Erasmus and Liam Reidy.

Freo get their ready made goal kicking small forward to replace Walters and open two list spots (which are tight there) from players who aren’t best 22 due to their positions despite playing great WAFL footy.

Liam gets a pay rise of 200k and a legitimate chance of another flag before his career is done without leaving Perth.

We get a young ruck averaging 40+ hit outs in the WAFL who would walk into our best 22 as well as a high possession mid who would displace pretty much any of our mids other than Harley, Yeo and TK.

Waterman would likely attract band 1 FA compo next year if he maintains his form so I wouldn’t trade him this year. A different trade I’d look at with Freo is swapping Liam Ryan and 200k of salary for Neil Erasmus and Liam Reidy.

I just want Reidy to tap it to Reid who don't argues a few kents before hitting Reid on the chest.

This is what I would be selecting from now on.

Back 6
Hough Barras Duggan
Ginbey gov Chesser

Wings
Hunt Brockman Petch Johnson

Forward
Ryan allen dewar
Waterman Maric Hutchinson

Ruck
BW, JW

Mids
Kelly yeo reid hall

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with what you’re saying but other than Tom Mitchell (who was no longer the same player at the time) the players at Hawthorn who had “tough calls” made on them were hardly superstars.

O’Meara was high profile but was cooked and went cheap. Shiels and Gunston were well past it.

It’s not like they sold off their best players all of a sudden.

Yeo would have qualified as a tough call, but unlike Mitchell he’s versatile to be useful elsewhere on the field if we decided to add another young mid to the centre square.

We don’t really have the same profile as Hawthorn did when they cleaned out. Insofar as many of their oldest players were limited or broken.

And our older players who are limited or broken are not likely to be picked up by anyone

The best small forward performance we've seen at the Champs so far. Kako seemed to be in every productive sequence in the front half for Metro, regularly providing the pivotal touch of class or burst of speed needed. He underlined his potential by snapping two excellent opportunist goals.

Absolutely no one didnt know this already.

If thats why anyone thinks he should be sacked then he should have been sacked 12 months ago...

Oh we all know that but its not really the point. He is in our best 22 and therefore wont be sacked in 8 weeks time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo get their ready made goal kicking small forward to replace Walters and open two list spots (which are tight there) from players who aren’t best 22 due to their positions despite playing great WAFL footy.

Liam gets a pay rise of 200k and a legitimate chance of another flag before his career is done without leaving Perth.

We get a young ruck averaging 40+ hit outs in the WAFL who would walk into our best 22 as well as a high possession mid who would displace pretty much any of our mids other than Harley, Yeo and TK.
Wouldn't freo just rather get kako with one of their firsts?

Wouldn't freo just rather get kako with one of their firsts?
Depends on Laura’s matching bids dart board as he’s Essendon NGA. I’ve got Kako at 16 and Berry at 27 as the two best small forwards. If it ends up roughly that then Freo’s picks may not be high enough and I suspect they have bigger plans for those picks given their likely pursuit of McDonald this year and The Chad next year.

From watching games live Ginbey is a long way from the fittest bloke on the list, there’s a huge difference between a 2km time and match fitness.

He is absolutely gassed towards the end of the 2nd quarter and pretty much the whole 4th every game.
I think it’s because he’s constantly 2nd to the ball, always seems to behind his opponent, mostly chasing.
Flynn is definitely not the messiah either 26 yes old with a 30 odd game career, doesn’t bode well, that is seriously injury prone.

I can understand why you’d ask but you don’t have to ask me that. I have no problem with you having an opinion on a discussion forum regardless of the team you support.
Cheers. 👍
I’m well aware of Ginbeys deficiencies but I personally don’t believe you can take much at all from the two players you are comparing given the very different roles in very different teams and very young age.
I agree 100%. But that sort of got lost, with other posters focusing on one player out of ten I mentioned, and them not answering the op’s question, and despite me saying I recognise they are playing different roles.
Ginbeys got stuff to work on sure but his good games have been fine, his bad games have looked worse because there’s zero support around him so when he makes a mistake it’s generally resulting in the ball rubber banding into our defensive 50 for a shot on goal.

How do you think hollands would look in this west coast side?
Let’s wind it back a sec.

The op asked to name 8 players from Ginbey’s draft that had performed better than him.

This was in response to the Ginbey pile on in the match day thread, that then started to spill on here.

Nothing to do with anything I had said, because I hadn’t said anything to that point, it was all WC fans here piling on Ginbey.

I quoted the OP and said there were 10 players I believed who had performed better.

For some reason, everyone focused on Oliver Hollands. Ok, I have no problem if people disagree with a subjective opinion.

I tried multiple times to point out that many of these players play different roles, and to focus on the OP’s parameter of “performance”.

Yes it’s easier to play almost any other position on the field than the one Ginbey is playing. That wasn’t qualified by the OP.

Nor have I said Hollands is a better player, despite other posters trying to make that the discussion.

Now my opinion on Ginbey is the same as quite a few other WC posters here, including one poster who was employed in a talent identification role by AFL clubs. Yet posters here, such as Elite Pete and Obeanie1 reckon I’m trolling, without engaging the WC posters saying pretty much the same as me.

Now back to answer your question. Hollands would struggle as well. We’re seeing that even Reid struggles at times. That’s a function of where WC are at the moment, and little to do with the players themselves.

Do I believe Hollands, or any other of 10 players I specified are better players than Ginbey? Yes. Could all those players play in the same position as Ginbey? No, because some are key forwards or key defenders or wingers, etc.

That doesn’t automatically imply that inside mids, regardless of ability are better than players in other positions.

It’s an opinion. Happy for other posters to disagree with me. We probably won’t know for another 3 to 5 years.

Cheers. 👍

I agree 100%. But that sort of got lost, with other posters focusing on one player out of ten I mentioned, and them not answering the op’s question, and despite me saying I recognise they are playing different roles.

Let’s wind it back a sec.

The op asked to name 8 players from Ginbey’s draft that had performed better than him.

This was in response to the Ginbey pile on in the match day thread, that then started to spill on here.

Nothing to do with anything I had said, because I hadn’t said anything to that point, it was all WC fans here piling on Ginbey.

I quoted the OP and said there were 10 players I believed who had performed better.

For some reason, everyone focused on Oliver Hollands. Ok, I have no problem if people disagree with a subjective opinion.

I tried multiple times to point out that many of these players play different roles, and to focus on the OP’s parameter of “performance”.

Yes it’s easier to play almost any other position on the field than the one Ginbey is playing. That wasn’t qualified by the OP.

Nor have I said Hollands is a better player, despite other posters trying to make that the discussion.

Now my opinion on Ginbey is the same as quite a few other WC posters here, including one poster who was employed in a talent identification role by AFL clubs. Yet posters here, such as Elite Pete and Obeanie1 reckon I’m trolling, without engaging the WC posters saying pretty much the same as me.

Now back to answer your question. Hollands would struggle as well. We’re seeing that even Reid struggles at times. That’s a function of where WC are at the moment, and little to do with the players themselves.

Do I believe Hollands, or any other of 10 players I specified are better players than Ginbey? Yes. Could all those players play in the same position as Ginbey? No, because some are key forwards or key defenders or wingers, etc.

That doesn’t automatically imply that inside mids, regardless of ability are better than players in other positions.

It’s an opinion. Happy for other posters to disagree with me. We probably won’t know for another 3 to 5 years.
Apologies, I responded to a single post without consideration to the prior history of the post.

We aint delisting a guy whose played every game this year when fit in Alex Witherden. Silly to even suggest it

Rotham also aint going anywhere either given he is playing week in week out
Theyre only getting games because we have 0 depth down back. Getting in Baker, drafting a half back, and getting Bazzo back fit means Rotham and Witho wouldnt get a game next year anyway

Back