List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Cheers. 👍

I agree 100%. But that sort of got lost, with other posters focusing on one player out of ten I mentioned, and them not answering the op’s question, and despite me saying I recognise they are playing different roles.

Let’s wind it back a sec.

The op asked to name 8 players from Ginbey’s draft that had performed better than him.

This was in response to the Ginbey pile on in the match day thread, that then started to spill on here.

Nothing to do with anything I had said, because I hadn’t said anything to that point, it was all WC fans here piling on Ginbey.

I quoted the OP and said there were 10 players I believed who had performed better.

For some reason, everyone focused on Oliver Hollands. Ok, I have no problem if people disagree with a subjective opinion.

I tried multiple times to point out that many of these players play different roles, and to focus on the OP’s parameter of “performance”.

Yes it’s easier to play almost any other position on the field than the one Ginbey is playing. That wasn’t qualified by the OP.

Nor have I said Hollands is a better player, despite other posters trying to make that the discussion.

Now my opinion on Ginbey is the same as quite a few other WC posters here, including one poster who was employed in a talent identification role by AFL clubs. Yet posters here, such as Elite Pete and Obeanie1 reckon I’m trolling, without engaging the WC posters saying pretty much the same as me.

Now back to answer your question. Hollands would struggle as well. We’re seeing that even Reid struggles at times. That’s a function of where WC are at the moment, and little to do with the players themselves.

Do I believe Hollands, or any other of 10 players I specified are better players than Ginbey? Yes. Could all those players play in the same position as Ginbey? No, because some are key forwards or key defenders or wingers, etc.

That doesn’t automatically imply that inside mids, regardless of ability are better than players in other positions.

It’s an opinion. Happy for other posters to disagree with me. We probably won’t know for another 3 to 5 years.
Clear troll or have minimal idea about footy imho.

On one hangs around a teams board let alone a bottom team and negative and disagrees with majority all day every day.

Last edited:
Baker ain’t playing back pocket and Bazzo ain’t playing 3rd tall.
Why?

Baker is a 2 time premiership player as a defender.

His versatility to play on all 3 lines is exactly why we should secure his services provided we don't overpay.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why?

Baker is a 2 time premiership player as a defender.

His versatility to play on all 3 lines is exactly why we should secure his services provided we don't overpay.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app
He hasnt played that role in many many years. Seems silly to bring a guy in to completely change his position

Baker and English just do it
Yeah im with you.

English cost a lot of cap but we should have enough for plenty available for years to come.

Baker is no question imo but need to not split and get FOS if available too. Perfect type of player we need. A copy of his cousin Walsh rookie season next year would do wonders

Oh ok, sorry….. I’ll do it straight away.

Just look back over the last 100 pages or how long you’ve clogged up this board for what ever weird reason.

Jog on.
I’ve been in these threads since the end of 2021, beginning of 2022. Part of discussions longer than you’ve been active in these threads for the last 6 months.

Clearly and repeatedly explained both publicly, and privately with one of your mods, why I was here in the early days.

Most of the time I’m replying to someone else’s opinion.

Maybe it’s the trade value of a particular WC player.

Or someone’s wild trade scenario.

Or where a kid is rated and how he fits with WC rebuild.

Or WC rebuild timeline.

Very, very rarely do I have an opinion that is different to some/most WC supporters here.

But I get it, I’m an oppo supporter, so sometimes it rubs people up the wrong way to hear the same thing from an oppo supporter.

That doesn’t make me a troll.

Sure, b!tch slap me if I talk up the Lions or our academy, but if someone here introduces either to the conversation first, I’ll reply.

Otherwise, put me on ignore, or report my posts to a mod. The second option will get me booted from here quick smart if I’m legitimately trolling.

c
I’ve been in these threads since the end of 2021, beginning of 2022. Part of discussions longer than you’ve been active in these threads for the last 6 months.

Clearly and repeatedly explained both publicly, and privately with one of your mods, why I was here in the early days.

Most of the time I’m replying to someone else’s opinion.

Maybe it’s the trade value of a particular WC player.

Or someone’s wild trade scenario.

Or where a kid is rated and how he fits with WC rebuild.

Or WC rebuild timeline.

Very, very rarely do I have an opinion that is different to some/most WC supporters here.

But I get it, I’m an oppo supporter, so sometimes it rubs people up the wrong way to hear the same thing from an oppo supporter.

That doesn’t make me a troll.

Sure, b!tch slap me if I talk up the Lions or our academy, but if someone here introduces either to the conversation first, I’ll reply.

Otherwise, put me on ignore, or report my posts to a mod. The second option will get me booted from here quick smart if I’m legitimately trolling.
Cool, don’t need a back and forth clogging up this board even more.

You tagged me, I gave you my thoughts.

Ive moved on, I’ve learnt to scroll past nearly everything you write. Irrelevant imho.

Bazzo absolutely can come in as the 3rd tall for Rotham, and Baker can definitely do Witherdens role as a half back.
We have Hough and Cole to do defensive jobs on small/medium players
Bazzo and Hewitt (Long almost forgotten) coming back is a small but positive light at the end of the tunnel. I hope a few (A. Read and the other Williams for example) including these can develop into real players.

Let’s say Liam Baker turns us down, what’s Pykes plan B here.

One of our biggest failures last year was not having a plan B when Dev Robertson turned us down. Should have figured it out before the trade period and in reality once he said no we should have been in someone’s ear right away . That money should have been offered to someone like a Alex Davies and that been the plan B

Plan B for Baker I think should be Parfitt as a free agent and bank the money for 2025 on Rayner or Warner. If Baker says no I don’t think we should spend 900k just for the sake of it

One of our biggest failures last year was not having a plan B when Dev Robertson turned us down. Should have figured it out before the trade period and in reality once he said no we should have been in someone’s ear right away . That money should have been offered to someone like a Alex Davies and that been the plan B

Plan B for Baker I think should be Parfitt as a free agent and bank the money for 2025 on Rayner or Warner. If Baker says no I don’t think we should spend 900k just for the sake of it
Sheldrick I hope, hope he is part of plan A.

Pyke has a relationship with him already and have to be in his ear about where he sits in those depth charts. Contract for one more year but surely they will be trying to clear any sort of cap room. Even more so if McDonald signs on.

Do like Parfitt as a free hit. Wouldn’t even cost much salary wise. Sell him on opportunities as well and 2 year deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheldrick I hope, hope he is part of plan A.

Pyke has a relationship with him already and have to be in his ear about where he sits in those depth charts. Contract for one more year but surely they will be trying to clear any sort of cap room. Even more so if McDonald signs on.

Do like Parfitt as a free hit. Wouldn’t even cost much salary wise. Sell him on opportunities as well and 2 year deal
Very weary that Sydney won’t trade Sheldrick til 2025 given he is contracted. Infact I wouldn’t even try til 2025 really, would be wasting our time

Very weary that Sydney won’t trade Sheldrick til 2025 given he is contracted. Infact I wouldn’t even try til 2025 really, would be wasting our time
He’s a test in the injury report this week. See how he finishes out the year.

Agreed no real reason for them to trace him. Maybe the chance we might finish bottom next year and the small PSD threat or they didn’t expect all of their OOC player to stay and need to free up a lost spot or two.

Always ask the question of his manager and go from there. They have 2 top 20 picks this year so an extra pick bundled in might help them rocket up the draft peaking order.

Today has shaken me to the point where I wouldn't mind attempting Mitchell 2.0 with Pendlebury. Have a nice fat one year playing contract - not like we can't find the money or list space - then transition into our coaching programme.

Sam Docherty could be a similar shout but obviously with stipulations as to matches played. Perhaps Mitch Duncan. Luke Parker if he can't get back into the Swans best 22 (and keeps his elbow to himself).

Just feel like there's a real leadership void at the club. This needs sorting.
Don’t mind this outside the box thinking

Why does there need to be a plan B? We can only get players that want to come, there was hardly a queue of guys lining up to come to the club at the end of last year.

Why does there need to be a plan B? We can only get players that want to come, there was hardly a queue of guys lining up to come to the club at the end of last year.
Because you end up giving Luke Edwards one more year which wastes everyone’s time. If we offered Alex Davies 4 year 2 mill deal he would probably join and be in our best 22 week in week out as opposed to Edwards who is just on the delist pile once again

Nor have I said Hollands is a better player, despite other posters trying to make that the discussion.

Well you have now

Do I believe Hollands, or any other of 10 players I specified are better players than Ginbey? Yes.

It’s an opinion. Happy for other posters to disagree with me. We probably won’t know for another 3 to 5 years.

Noted 👍

Have a plan B?

Find someone better then Luke Edwards who does want to come is what plan B should be. Giving a player you would delist otherwise a 1 year contract should not be your plan B
If this player doesnt exist, what exactly do you want the club to do?
If theres only 1 player in the comp who is OOC, cheap enough, noticably better than L.Edwards and willing to relocate, how do you propose the club manufactures another?

If this player doesnt exist, what exactly do you want the club to do?
If theres only 1 player in the comp who is OOC, cheap enough, noticably better than L.Edwards and willing to relocate, how do you propose the club manufactures another?
Make the player exist?

The idea no one ever would want to join us isnt realistic. We need to make phone calls and get people who do want to join

You cant moan about Alex Witherden playing week in week out and then suggest the club do nothing to recruit players in but sit and wait for someone to want to join

Back