List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 28.2%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Make the player exist?

The idea no one ever would want to join us isnt realistic. We need to make phone calls and get people who do want to join

You cant moan about Alex Witherden playing week in week out and then suggest the club do nothing to recruit players in but sit and wait for someone to want to join
Pyke has stated publicly he told Clarke he has 3 levers to pull to get the list right and expects him to do so.

We have never appeared to be on the front foot like some clubs when it’s come to recruiting and trading. I reckon this year we will be.

We brought in two experienced players and four draftees last year, I would have thought that was about what we’d have expected?

Not a huge amount of point in topping up with a bunch of guys that can’t get a game at their current club at the expense of draft capital, not in our position anyway.

We brought in two experienced players and four draftees last year, I would have thought that was about what we’d have expected?

Not a huge amount of point in topping up with a bunch of guys that can’t get a game at their current club at the expense of draft capital, not in our position anyway.
Disagree. It’s all about the recruiters having an eye for talent and positional need. If they are better then what you have and the trades come cheap do it.

Chol, Ginnivan and Mass all played a lot of VFL last year and have made a huge difference to the way they are playing.

Went from players turning them done to this week’s destination club for this years off season.

Smart recruiting, young players growth and a team playing with structure. No reason why we can’t do it.

Wins are huge at this stage of a rebuild and list management

Last edited:

Make the player exist?

The idea no one ever would want to join us isnt realistic. We need to make phone calls and get people who do want to join

You cant moan about Alex Witherden playing week in week out and then suggest the club do nothing to recruit players in but sit and wait for someone to want to join
We should be chasing guys who are best 22 elsewhere, or are very close to it. There isnt an abundance of those sorts of guys who are willing to relocate across the country to a team thats been as bad as we were last year, theyll tend to back themselves in more often than not

Who said we didnt do anything to get replacements anyway? Who says we didnt ask further, but just couldnt get any bites? Unless we are willing to hand over much needed draft capital there is only so much we can do

CULT HERO SET TO REPAY FAITH WITH EAGLES

West Coast’s new cult hero Jake Waterman is keen to sign a long-term contract extension with the Eagles despite strong interest from Victorian contenders Geelong and Melbourne.

Waterman has been footy’s most improved player this year with 37.15 despite a deep, heavy gash to his knee in the Hawthorn loss that required hospitalisation and surgery.

He is still a good chance to play this week and has expressed to the Eagles his desire for a new deal through manager Paul Peos given he hits free agency next season.

It would be a disaster for the Eagles to lose an up-and-coming young star at a time when Hawthorn and North Melbourne look to be developing quicker in their own premiership builds.

[PLAYERCARD]Jake Waterman[/PLAYERCARD] looks unlikely to leave West Coast. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images.

Jake Waterman looks unlikely to leave West Coast. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images.
The Cats and Melbourne are both desperate for key talls as Geelong attempts to find a replacement for Tom Hawkins and the Demons continue their quest to fix a broken forward line.

It would take a total breakdown in negotiations for Waterman to want to leave the Eagles as the son of premiership defender Chris.

But having signed a new two-year deal amid serious illness last year that is believed to be around the $400,000-$450,000 mark, the 26-year-old will be in line for a serious pay hike.

He could easily expect to double his salary given his huge potential.

Eastern states clubs are prepared to offer five-year extensions so West Coast will have to come to the party and should be keen to lock in Waterman on a huge pay rise.

Peos told the Herald Sun on Tuesday his player was keen to stay at the Eagles.

“I am happy to say there is a keenness from both sides to revisit his current deal,” he said.

“He’s a free agent next year so we would expect it to progress pretty quickly from here. We would love to get it done sooner rather than later.

Eagles spearhead [PLAYERCARD]Jake Waterman[/PLAYERCARD] is set for a big payday. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Eagles spearhead Jake Waterman is set for a big payday. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
We have had reach-ins from other clubs to see how things are progressing and it’s in a state of flux but I would hope over the next couple of weeks we could see the momentum moving.

“(New CEO) Don (Pyke) and (list boss) Matt Clarke have come in with fresh eyes and are looking across every element of the club and we respect that. But you would think Jake would be one of the more certain elements (of the rebuild) given his age and form.”

Pyke has a decision to make on the future of coach Adam Simpson amid speculation the club’s continued struggles might end up costing him his job.

The Eagles board had seemed likely to move on Simpson with two years left on his deal last year even if it cost them millions in salary and football department taxes.

Instead they backed him in and with Harley Reid making brilliant cameos the Eagles have shown improvement.

But the latest five-game losing streak has included defeats to teams like Adelaide, North Melbourne, St Kilda and the Hawks who the Eagles might have hoped to be more competitive against.

I’m terrified that we will end up with a paddy Dow clone and a waste of a top three pick. It does happen
IMO Paddy Dow was always a reach in a shallow draft.
Should have ended up solid though and playing every week. A bit like how Masten always seemed a few bad games away from being dropped.

Mid depth this year is stronger overall. I'm usually against splitting but if we could perhaps drop only a place or two for a good bonus pick then its definitely something to think about.

Wardlaw was always pick and going norf...norf knew GWS were getting Cadman. It would of been Sheezel/Cadman at pick 2
Cadman was/is the choice we should have gone with. In a few years will be that Reiwoldt style CHF playmaker.

Wardlaw is great but had dodgy hammies so that's super scary😂

It's the top end that wins flags so we need to be looking at any avenue to move up the draft order when possible.

Depends on Laura’s matching bids dart board as he’s Essendon NGA. I’ve got Kako at 16 and Berry at 27 as the two best small forwards. If it ends up roughly that then Freo’s picks may not be high enough and I suspect they have bigger plans for those picks given their likely pursuit of McDonald this year and The Chad next year.
Can't imagine freo going overly hard at McDonald. Treacy is going ok and the insomnia guy will be a star

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Today has shaken me to the point where I wouldn't mind attempting Mitchell 2.0 with Pendlebury. Have a nice fat one year playing contract - not like we can't find the money or list space - then transition into our coaching programme.

Sam Docherty could be a similar shout but obviously with stipulations as to matches played. Perhaps Mitch Duncan. Luke Parker if he can't get back into the Swans best 22 (and keeps his elbow to himself).

Just feel like there's a real leadership void at the club. This needs sorting.
If you don’t mind me throwing another name out there, Jarryd Lyons.

He has been credited with a lot of onfield coaching when he first arrived, setting up our centre bounce and stoppage positioning, etc.

Still does it at VFL level. And is still highly regarded internally.

I do acknowledge that he is on the slower side, but he looks to have fully recovered from his osteo pubis surgery, and is running freely at vfl level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is everyone so down on Flynn? Had it on good authority on this board that he was a great ruckman at GWS who somehow always found himself behind other ruckmen throughout his entire career.

I liked his contest v Essendon and looked to be worth persevering with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Selling high on Waterman isn’t the craziest idea to me, I wouldn’t be rushing to extend him, if he leaves next year and has a good 2025 he’ll net us band 1 compensation - which will be a top 3 pick you’d think.

I don’t believe Oscar and Waterman work well, cash in on one of them imo.

I know this will be unpopular and I’m by no means saying I’d get rid of either just for the sake of it, but if you get overs, you consider it.

If you don’t mind me throwing another name out there, Jarryd Lyons.

He has been credited with a lot of onfield coaching when he first arrived, setting up our centre bounce and stoppage positioning, etc.

Still does it at VFL level. And is still highly regarded internally.

I do acknowledge that he is on the slower side, but he looks to have fully recovered from his osteo pubis surgery, and is running freely at vfl level.
Alas the modern game seems to have passed players like this on by.

He's a tough bugger for sure but too slow.

It would be a disaster for the Eagles to lose an up-and-coming young star at a time when Hawthorn and North Melbourne look to be developing quicker in their own premiership builds.

This is the bit that’s lost me, he’s not a YOUNG star. It’s like when Simmo was saying youth was playing and he’d roll of players that are 25

Random but these are my top 10 prospects from the draft (not who I think are the best overall, but who I think are the best for us)
Note: not including Smillie as he will be gone

1. O’Sullivan
2. Lalor
3. Smith
4. Reid
5. Draper
6. Moraes
7. Travaglia
8. Hotton
9. Allan
10. Kako

Selling high on Waterman isn’t the craziest idea to me, I wouldn’t be rushing to extend him, if he leaves next year and has a good 2025 he’ll net us band 1 compensation - which will be a top 3 pick you’d think.

I don’t believe Oscar and Waterman work well, cash in on one of them imo.

I know this will be unpopular and I’m by no means saying I’d get rid of either just for the sake of it, but if you get overs, you consider it.

Sell everything.

Waterman for picks
Barrass for picks
Yeo for picks

Then , just then, may be happy.
Pyke has stated publicly he told Clarke he has 3 levers to pull to get the list right and expects him to do so.

We have never appeared to be on the front foot like some clubs when it’s come to recruiting and trading. I reckon this year we will be.

Wow. Pyke told a list manager he can trade, draft or free agents.

What genius! How didn’t anyone think of that before?

You are so easily charmed - work on that.

Sell everything.

Waterman for picks
Barrass for picks
Yeo for picks

Then , just then, may be happy.

Wow. Pyke told a list manager he can trade, draft or free agents.

What genius! How didn’t anyone think of that before?

You are so easily charmed - work on that.
You want Pyke out already too?

One thing to say it to the list boss. (who clearly would already know it) but to stat it publicly and say how aggressive we will be in this area, where clearly we haven’t been is at least a good change in past.

Proof will still be in the pudding.

Cadman was/is the choice we should have gone with. In a few years will be that Reiwoldt style CHF playmaker.

Wardlaw is great but had dodgy hammies so that's super scary😂

It's the top end that wins flags so we need to be looking at any avenue to move up the draft order when possible.
We have Waterman and Allen, Cadman would be rotting in the twos.

All we have to do is get the midfield firing and we'll be back up the ladder pretty quick. A new coach that actually knows how to transition the ball would also help.

Back