List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Not sure how happy I am that we'll be extending Waterman on a long term deal because of half a very good season after so many of being bang average. Not sure how much choice we have though after only extending short term last year.

Hope he keeps it up but I'm not convinced yet.
He is contracted and a free agent next season .
I think we keep our powder dry and not sign him until next season .

If clubs are offering him stupid money he could be our Mackay band 1 compo .

He has had 1/2 a great season whilst he was the number 1 player in attack. He knows once Allen is back full time his output will diminish so is trying to cash in on a long term deal .

WTF is with guys in contract demanding pay rises

Probably not. They won't even give him a chance at AFL level when we only had 2 mids playing.
Culley came in on ball vs norf the worst team in the comp and he couldn't keep up . Too slow on the spread and out of the contest.
Norf mids just waltzed it out of the centre every time .

Unfortunately for these mid season draft guys they went undrafted because of serious flaws in their games .

Not big enough asa forward! He is as tall as Darling. Kicked 5 and got a rising star nod before doing his knee. He is an inside bull mid, speed not essential.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unless you are an inside bull like cripps or green who are just ball magnets then the modern game isn't suited for slow mids .

I would be happy to keep cully on the rookie list 1 more season but no worth a senior list spot

Not sure that performance required 12 pages of crying about Reuben.

19 year old in his 32nd game.

3rd highest rated Eagle on the ground.

1st for pressure acts (cue the "ergh he's so slow and reactive").

Yes, it wasn't his best game (was his 12th best rated game), but surely we have much bigger things to worry about than Reuben.

Thanks again for your ongoing work Alesana
If people want players to whinge about, below is average rating for the season divided by their age at the end of the year. I have used this to help weight experience with output.

This method has a top five of Daicos, Rowell, Sheezel, Serong & Rankine. The first player 30 or over is Gawn ranked 45th. Harley is the first Eagle ranked 16th.

I have done this for the entire AFL and the average comes in at 0.314. We have 27 players below that, highlighted yellow in the player name column.

Eagles average is 0.248. We have 17 players below that, highlighted orange in the player name column.

Players 25 years of age or older, that are below the AFL average, are highlighted with red font.

1719965844006.png

Last edited:
Ill try to limit to players that have had club champion or AA selections.

2002 (after 2 down years)
Gardiner
Judd
Kerr
Banfield
Fletcher
Cousins
Braun
McIntosh
Cox
Glass
Jakovic
Hansen
Matera
Matera
Embley
Wirrpanda

Bonus points Sampi.
We would get absolutely curb stomped.

2010( After 2 down years)
LeCras
Kerr
Fletcher
Waters
Natanui
Selwood
Priddis
Mackenzie
Kennedy
Cox
Shuey
Glass
Hurn
Embley
Wirrpanda

McGovern
Darling
Gaff
Yeo
Kelly
Barrass
Ryan
-----------Part way through careers we can reasonably expect these players to be around the level of AA or club champion.
Allen
Reid
Hewett

Most importantly or 2024 side has our best players approaching 30 or older.
That is the most generous possible assessment of 2002 and 10, and most negative assessment of 2024. In 2002, Peter Matera, McIntosh and Jakovich were on their last legs, Cox, Judd, Kerr were complete unknowns, Embley and Fletcher could have been something of nothing.

Likewise, in 2024, you don’t yet know the ceiling of Ginbey, Hough, Chesser, Maric, JWilliams, A Reid, Barnett etc.

I know it seems like I’m arguing the opposite of my earlier post, but really, those saying this is the least talented squad or a squad capable of finals are both wrong. It’s a developing, unbalanced squad. We won’t know what it’s capable of for a few years yet.

That is the most generous possible assessment of 2002 and 10, and most negative assessment of 2024. In 2002, Peter Matera, McIntosh and Jakovich were on their last legs, Cox, Judd, Kerr were complete unknowns, Embley and Fletcher could have been something of nothing.

Likewise, in 2024, you don’t yet know the ceiling of Ginbey, Hough, Chesser, Maric, JWilliams, A Reid, Barnett etc.

I know it seems like I’m arguing the opposite of my earlier post, but really, those saying this is the least talented squad or a squad capable of finals are both wrong. It’s a developing, unbalanced squad. We won’t know what it’s capable of for a few years yet.
In the early 2000’s I remember Ben Cousins literally dragging bog average teams to the occasional win on his own back.

He was a great player but the teams were not. They were dark days too.

In the early 2000’s I remember Ben Cousins literally dragging bog average teams to the occasional win on his own back.

He was a great player but the teams were not. They were dark days too.
Yeah, I didn’t include young players like Cousins, Gardiner or Wirra in the unknowns because they already shown their ability by 2002. But looking through that list, there were a lot of honest toilers like Harding, Collica, Taylor, Wilson etc.

Hynes produced an excellent performance in Vic Country's second Champs outing. Playing in his typical medium forward role with occasional stints through the middle, he presented as a marking target all around the ground and drew the footy like a magnet. He was effective at stoppage with his size and strength and capped off his day by snapping a couple of nice goals, the last at a critical moment in the fourth quarter.

Not sure how happy I am that we'll be extending Waterman on a long term deal because of half a very good season after so many of being bang average. Not sure how much choice we have though after only extending short term last year.

Hope he keeps it up but I'm not convinced yet.

Opportunities for Waterman were very limited in his main role playing FF from the goal square when no one is going to dislodge a champion like JK and JD .. JK retires then up bobs Oscar to fill his shoes ..
Jakey was too good for WAFL so had to adjust to being an average utility player at AFL level ..
It hasn’t been mentioned much but last year before getting ill he was showing signs of being a player and kicking multiple goals alongside Allen ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great, we are only another season and a Chris Judd away from being competitive again.......

Gettable update-
-Sounds like English deal all but done at the Dogs.
-Cal thinks Buss stays at the dogs
-Dogs still a chance for TB.
-Jack Carroll link to us.
-Didn’t say who he thinks is in front of the Baker stakes. 3 long term deals in front of him
-Jack Graham likely to stay at the Tigers as compo pick would be low.

Gettable update-
-Didn’t say who he thinks is in front of the Baker stakes. 3 long term deals in front of him

Surely we pay English enough to trigger top compensation.

Bulldogs get a Pick around 9-12.

Barrass to Dogs.

9-12, 30 And Buss to Eagles.

Surely we pay English enough to trigger top compensation.

Bulldogs get a Pick around 9-12.

Barrass to Dogs.

9-12, 30 And Buss to Eagles.
So that's....

English busslinger 12 30 for TB.

I'd take that.

English negates the need for BW, so trade him to a vic club for a second rounder. Cats love a mobile not quite a ruckman type. Call it pick 35.

Trade 30 for Baker.
Trade 35 for Cummings or Carrol.

Into the club
English, buss, Baker Carrol and 3 top 18yo.

2 12 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people want players to whinge about, below is average rating for the season divided by their age at the end of the year. I have used this to help weight experience with output.

This method has a top five of Daicos, Rowell, Sheezel, Serong & Rankine. The first player 30 or over is Gawn ranked 45th. Harley is the first Eagle ranked 16th.

I have done this for the entire AFL and the average comes in at 0.314. We have 27 players below that, highlighted yellow in the player name column.

Eagles average is 0.248. We have 17 players below that, highlighted orange in the player name column.

Players 25 years of age or older, that are below the AFL average, are highlighted with red font.

View attachment 2037318
Cool idea but it's over indexing player rating still.

Case in point our defenders are all high rated by RP/age (given that's where the ball is/how we play)

Jamie Cripps has been a much better contributor than Witherden for example.

Surprised how low Hough is rated.

Probably just suggests PR as a metric is a bit flawed

So that's....

I'd take that.

English negates the need for BW, so trade him to a vic club for a second rounder. Cats love a mobile not quite a ruckman type. Call it pick 35.

Trade 30 for Baker.

Into the club

2 12 23

Cummings is a free agent. Don’t have to give anything up.

Still need to get Baker over the line and we play nice guys. It will be 23 at a minimum and I think a little more

Gettable update-

Also mentioned Rotham has interest "out there" as an UFA and no contract offer in front of him from WC

So that's....

I'd take that.

Trade 30 for Baker.

Into the club

2 12 23

Thought you'd be old enough to not be having wet dreams, tbh.

With a couple of games left in the champs this is my rolling top 30 with the players I feel would be the best fit for the list which have a clear focus on outside mids, run and rebound, good foot skills and KPDs.
  1. Finn O'Sullivan
  2. Levi Ashcroft (F/S BL)
  3. Josh Smillie
  4. Leo Lombard (NGA GCS)
  5. Jagga Smith
  6. Murphy Reid
  7. Sid Draper
  8. Luke Trainor
  9. Christian Moraes
  10. Tobie Travaglia
  11. Harvey Langford
  12. Sam Lalor
  13. Tom Gross
  14. Harry O'Farrell
  15. Jack Whitlock
  16. Isaac Kako (NGA ESS)
  17. Sam Marshall (NGA BL)
  18. Matt Whitlock
  19. Jonty Faull
  20. Tyler Welsh (F/S ADEL)
  21. Jobe Shanahan
  22. Taj Hotton
  23. Cooper Hynes
  24. Bo Allan
  25. Xavier Lindsay
  26. Ben Camporeale (F/S CARL)
  27. Joe Berry
  28. Noah Mraz
  29. Josh Murphy
  30. Lucas Camporeale (F/S CARL)
There’s a few that could easily slot into this 30 but have to draw the line somewhere. Now that it sounds like Rioli isn’t leaving Richmond for the Suns the deal I’d be most interested in is swapping our F1 for 8 and 10 with GCS which would give us a number of options with those picks or to split one of them with Freo for say 16 and 24. It’s an odd draft profile this year with a shallow top end but a very deep 2R and 3R. For comparison I feel like Smillie would be about the level of Sanders last year who went pick 6. I hope we’re looking at ways to get picks between 10 and 30 because I think that range will be an absolute stand out this year compared to previous drafts. If we trade anything other than players for Liam Baker I will lose all faith in our recruitment team to build a list that can be anything other than mid table mediocrity at best.

So that's....

I'd take that.

Trade 30 for Baker.

Into the club

2 12 23

We wont get 12 30 AND Busslinger for just TB.

More like 12 and Busslinger. 12 becomes 14 after FS and academy bids.

Back