List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
If we want baker (I'd say its a 50/50 split on this board) Ralphy's suggestion is prob the best and we keep Hawks f1

Wce - 6, baker
Rich - 3
I'd want another decent pick rather than Baker if we were splitting 3

If we want baker (I'd say its a 50/50 split on this board) Ralphy's suggestion is prob the best and we keep Hawks f1

Wce - 6, baker
Rich - 3
I think it’s well under 50/50. Trying to refrain from commenting on Baker trades because I rate him so poorly but I’ll be fuming at the club if we use a 1R in a trade for him, even if it’s a pick downgrade. This trade means we likely get the leftover mid. It’s not going to be pretty if that’s a still breastfeeding Murphy Reid. If it’s 3 for 6 and 9 then fine, but 3 for 6 and Baker is a hard pass from me.

Surely not Barrass pick keen?

FWIW I’d heard about 2 weeks ago that Freo think they have him
Barrass pick (Hawks' first) makes sense if we got something back with Baker. I think there's a world where we could get Baker + 29 for Hawks' first if we overpaid Jack Graham. We'd still have our entire 2025 draft hand intact in this scenario.

I think it’s well under 50/50. Trying to refrain from commenting on Baker trades because I rate him so poorly but I’ll be fuming at the club if we use a 1R in a trade for him, even if it’s a pick downgrade. This trade means we likely get the leftover mid. It’s not going to be pretty if that’s a still breastfeeding Murphy Reid. If it’s 3 for 6 and 9 then fine, but 3 for 6 and Baker is a hard pass from me.
Generally rule a line through all the Vic metro boys plus draper and ashcroft and that leaves us with lalor and langford assuming osullivan goes at 3. I like baker but I agree with you that a heart and sole player should be valued from 2nd round onwards and you leave the first round for elite talents.

No paying a first round pick for Baker.
We'll actually have a best 23 next year with another top 5 and top 25 pick coming through the door at the end of 2025. Giving up the Hawks' first won't kill us.

We'll actually have a best 23 next year with another top 5 and top 25 pick coming through the door at the end of 2025. Giving up the Hawks' first won't kill us.
It won’t kill us but it’s the opportunity cost. If that turns out a top 10 pick this board will explode. Pick 18 would still be too much if the Hawks won the flag.

I think that what we might pay for Baker will, in part, come from what we receive for Barrass

So I put together a possible 3 way trade :

West Coast
In- Baker, 13,30,39*
Out- Barrass, 23,59

Hawthorn
In- Barrass, 23,57,59
Out- 13,30,F1

Richmond
In- F1 (Hawthorn)
Out- Baker, 39,57

Richmond get their R1 pick for Baker, albeit a future one but they’ll have others this year from the Rioli and Bolton trades. The F1 might also help them getting another R1 pick from Gold Coast

Hawthorn give up two R1 picks but advance from 30 to 23 plus get a couple of late picks since their next pick would otherwise be pick 67

We effectively get Baker and 13 for Barrass plus 30 and 39 for 23, giving us an extra pick inside 40. Pick 59 is replaced by the pick we’re likely to get for Darling (64) and is there for Champion

Go to the draft with 3,13,30,39,64 and we still have all our 2025 picks intact to use in trades for any of Garcia, Carroll, etc should they agree to join us

* I originally had pick 29 coming from Richmond but felt that was a little too lopsided in our favour so changed it to 39

Purely spitballing though
I really like it Keys, although I think we do very well out of it and Hawks probably giving up too much.

Could balance it with 39 going to Hawks, and we just keep 59 but also get 57. Just my thoughts.

So go to draft with 3, 13, 30, 57, 59. Plus we've added Baker.

Was Ralph's suggestion I think so heavily Richmond weighted, we'd also want to be guaranteed lalor or langford available at that pick. I'd prob say 23 for baker or forget it

Would prefer to keep 23 or something near it (the slide back to 30 would be OK).

But we should also absolutely be playing games with the Graham compo pick. 38 (ish?) or 22. That is a huge difference. In fact I’d probably demand it back (not sure the rules allow it) if we were giving up the Hawks F1.

Because Richmond would no doubt say F1 (hawks, just to be clear) for Baker plus 38 is fair, but plus 22 they give up too much.

Which of those picks they have seems to be completely in our hands, so what is that upgrade worth and price it into any trade!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Warner actually indicated he wants a trade or is it all just speculation?

What's happening with Shai Bolton? Main board indicates he's chosen Freo. Sounds like a good outcome as he's not what we need for the price Richmond would demand.

What's happening with Shai Bolton? Main board indicates he's chosen Freo. Sounds like a good outcome as he's not what we need for the price Richmond would demand.
Warner is playing in a Grand Final next week. Probably not the best time for him to request a trade, if that is his intention.

Speculation. The Swans will come under salary cap pressure eventually and Warner seems to be the easy target seeing as Heeney, Mills and Gulden are the golden boys, Warner is not from NSW and the Swans will have some decent young players coming through behind him.

I'd want another decent pick rather than Baker if we were splitting 3

What about pick 3 and our F2nd

For 6, 21 and Baker.

We basically add swapping 2nds with Richmond. They need to push picks into 2025 and what better 2nd rounder to hold than ours.

We get the benefit of moving our future 2nd into this year at similar value.

Likely need to throw in a future 4th.

Go to the draft with 6, 13, 21 and 23 plus 59 and the Darling 4th rounder.

Still hold our own 2025 1st and the Hawks 2025 2nd.

If it is this year I am trying to split 3 with 6 and 9 - maybe 23 going back.

Give Sydney 6 and Hawks F1.

Take 9, 13 to the draft and bring in Warner.
If Chad was an option this year then something along those lines would my preferred approach.

3 + 23 to Rich for 6+ 9
6 + 13 OR 6 + Hawks F1 for Chad

Retain pick 9 for best remaining mid

Another option due to North now apparently being an option for Houston and needing a mid R1 this year to trade.

13 to NM for F1
9 + F1 (NM) for Chad

Retain pick 6 for best remaining mid

Sounds like Sydney have a couple of decent academy boys next year so some future picks for points or to get ahead of bids may appeal more even though this years draft is strong.

Surely not Barrass pick keen?

FWIW I’d heard about 2 weeks ago that Freo think they have him
Baker choosing Freo would be the best news 🙏🏼

Sounds like Sydney have a couple of decent academy boys next year so some future picks for points or to get ahead of bids may appeal more even though this years draft is strong.

We do have some promising kids for the 2025 and 2026 drafts (promising being the correct term here as a tonne can happen between now and then) but I very much want to keep Warner.

In saying that though, if Warner wants to go back to Western Australia in the somewhat near term I would rather the Swans do a trade at the end of this year than in a year or two.

I really like it Keys, although I think we do very well out of it and Hawks probably giving up too much.

Could balance it with 39 going to Hawks, and we just keep 59 but also get 57. Just my thoughts.

So go to draft with 3, 13, 30, 57, 59. Plus we've added Baker.
I feel like you're just starting to ream us here...Just a little bit, a little tickle but still initiation has begun.

For me, I thought Keys was very close to right but I'm leaning towards 29 instead of 39.

Interesting trade hypothetical. I doubt Houston chooses North but they have been desperate to land a ‘big fish’ for years so would throwsignificant cash and picks if it was possible. In the article:

Freo don’t land Bolton (unlikely) so retain picks 9 + 10.

Freo trade 9 or 10 to NM for F1 (likely top 6 pick)
NM trade 9/10 to PA for Houston

Freo then hold F1 (NM) F1 (Freo) to go after Warner end of 2025

Removing Freo from that scenario and inserting WC could look like…

WC trade Barass + F2 to Hawks for 13 + F1
WC trade Darling + pick 13 to NM for F1
NM trade pick 13 to PA for Houston

WC could still look to split pick 3 for 2x R1 this year eg with Richmond for 6 + ?

WC hold F1 (WC) F1 (NM) F1 (Hawks)
Use 2 of the above or 1 + F1 (2026) for Sir Chadwick

Would have to be pretty certain of landing Chad next year to trade a R1 out of this draft, but much rather us than Freo. Really hoping we get at least one end of R1 priority pick this year to bolster our draft hand and trade flexibility.
A priority pick would be nice... imagine the the uproar if it did happen though? is Don too proud to ask for one?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back