List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
In no other industry would an employee nominate a company they want to go to and the expectation is that company will find a place for them, whether it suits their plans or not. Ridiculous.
All clubs are under AFL licences and the player's are the clubs contracts that's the difference to commercial business that have no affiliation.

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.

Meh Eagles fans have a right to be pessimistic tbh. A good pre melt softens the blow.

Plus the only thing more annoying is people melting over people melting.

Did he deserve more money probably. Does he deserve two extra years at his age. No.
We need to be cautious in extending older players.
He also signed a long contract regardless of what he think he is worth.
Cave in and we may to do the same to other players.
I don’t dispute that. I’m happy we’re trading Barrass.

You challenged my seemingly uncontroversial statement that the purpose of trading Barrass was to improve our draft hand and fast track our rebuild. I’m not sure what your point is but there’s probably no need to get caught in the weeds on this.

Essendon showing interest in Rotham is perfection

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Good lord.

Half a dozen pages of absolute bedwetting echo chamber over; :loudspeaker:

• A trade we haven't done yet
  • Which includes a pick we don't have
  • Stemming from a trade that is also still yet to happen.

This is the worst trade melt, in the history of trade melts, maybe ever.

I’m pretty confident we melted just as hard last year over hypothetical pick 1 trades, and the year before over pick 2. We’re just really good at it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like Owies but does he fill a need?

We have Long and Brockman coming back from injury/drama next year, plus Cripps (still), Ryan, Dewar and all the talls.

I’d be focusing on midfield targets, and some replacement depth for Barrass, and maybe a ruck, before I looked at forwards.

Freo are stuck with Darcy. No one is paying 900k a year for a fat ruckman with a worn out knee.
I'd happily take that fat campaigner as our ruck with the amount of room in our salary cap. Maybe freo could even throw us a pick for taking him on.
Surprised to read that Darcy is contracted for longer than Jackson (2030 vs 2029). Darcy is 26 and Jackson about to turn 23.

Darcy is a beast when able to get on the park. Would like to see him stay fit and dominate, just so Freo have to try and justify Jackson looking like a lost giraffe in his bizarre hybrid forward/wing role when he should be a number 1 ruck too.

Everyone talks about Darcy being trade bait but if Flynn doesn’t work out for us maybe it’s Jackson whose cage could be rattled loose? Surely it will eventually click for him that he is in-fact a ruck man. Would certainly solve our ruck dilemma and create a dynamic mix with our young mids while helping Freo’s salary cap squeeze.

Not going to happen, I know.

You are now free to return to your scheduled Baker circle jerk debate 😴

I like Owies but does he fill a need?

We have Long and Brockman coming back from injury/drama next year, plus Cripps (still), Ryan, Dewar and all the talls.

I’d be focusing on midfield targets, and some replacement depth for Barrass, and maybe a ruck, before I looked at forwards.
Not our highest need but he kicks more goals than any of those. Think his style provides something different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Port get pick 2 they would have to move it to Gold coast for Jack Lukosius as their first pick is 36 at the moment.

If Port Power get pick 2 then surely they split it and givr us a 2nd rounder that we should have got for Rioli except for... "sorry we have nothing to give you".

(Tongue in cheek... no chance it'll happen)

Well that will scare Norf and possibly the Crows off… I wonder if we’ll take heed of his desire to play for a “big vic” club. FOS shortening!

Absolutely agree that we can’t go all kids. However if we are using first or second round picks in trades it should only be for gun players in the 20-24 age bracket that fill a specific need. Baker is none of those things.

Baker goes hard but he’s 173cm and 70kg. He ain’t protecting anyone. What other fearsome enforcers should be target? Caleb Daniel? Nick Watson?

If we want an experienced body who is a decent mid with some positional flexibility, I would rather throw some money and a later pick at someone with some actual size to throw around like Powell-Pepper for example.

Retain those early picks for draftees or to be involved in trading for an actual gun like Warner.

Hard no to SPP... the club won't want to put netting around the whole crowd to protect the fans from his errant kicks for starters.

Sounds like he is begging Richmond to take him numero uno and a signal that he won’t get homesick. Unless it’s a small Victorian club….
Or wants to get through to Richmond at 6.
I remember hearing him speak about his brother moving to Melbourne when drafted and spoke positively about it. Who has now moved back and playing for South Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back