List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is up to the Hawks. We apparently had sign off at 8 or 9.

He is contracted for another 3 years and hence up to Hawks to get pick 9. Alternatively give us something that can either get us up to 9 or of similar value.

There is no PSD threat.

I hope we are talking with Sydney about 19 and 22 for Tom

If Tom has bought a place in Melbourne as suggested by someone else, I think the Sydney move is off the table. His sister has just moved from Sydney to Melbourne as well. Dogs were the other club to have a sniff. Would the Saints be interested in replacing Battle?

If Tom has bought a place in Melbourne as suggested by someone else, I think the Sydney move is off the table. His sister has just moved from Sydney to Melbourne as well. Dogs were the other club to have a sniff. Would the Saints be interested in replacing Battle?
I'd quite happily take that shiny new pick 8 they got handed for him.

They don’t care about contract or no contract, they think they can just poach him.

If we don’t leverage his contract status it doesn’t mean anything.
It's not just the contract. The coach sees the team as opening a premiership window. That's two firsts right there. I'm amazed we're stuck haggling over an F2 really. I would hope the club is talking to Tom and asking him about his second and third preferences as well as the possibility of returning to us next season.

They’ll work something out with Barrass but hopefully they let that turncoat sweat a little longer and hold their nerve.

Classic trade period shenanigans thus far - basically Adelaide paid bang on value for Neal-Bullen - a no brainer for them as he’s a quality player and WCE were very ready to see the back of Jack Darling and his $1m for next year - they’d have been pushing him to retire if he didn’t have a deal let’s face it.

Other than that, the buyers don’t want to pay and the sellers are desperate to extra top value - can’t blame them, especially Richmond who are getting shafted by Rioli and Bolton because they put their faith in the wrong guys - hopefully a lesson for other clubs there coming out of a period of success and handing out long deals to mid-age talent. Choose wisely!

Hopefully we see some realities faced over the weekend and things start to get moving on Monday which is often how it works.

Hawks just posturing to see if we blink, no chance they don't happily take 14 and F2 on last day of trade period given expectations around lack of value of R2/R3 picks next year.

The fact that this is our starting point instead of just telling them to go and find the pick we originally wanted in 7-9 is.... disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks just posturing to see if we blink, no chance they don't happily take 14 and F2 on last day of trade period given expectations around lack of value of R2/R3 picks next year.

The fact that this is our starting point instead of just telling them to go and find the pick we originally wanted in 7-9 is.... disappointing.
Clarke said it up to the hawks to find picks. Do you have inside information?

Clarke said it up to the hawks to find picks. Do you have inside information?
Settling for 14 + F2 and Hawthorn trying to screw us on the F2 isn't telling the Hawks to figure it out

Barrass would do us a big favour to come out and say he is willing to look at other options. Saints absolutely in the perfect spot to get him. Straight swap of Battle for Barrass is a big win for them.

Would rule out a straight swap for Baker too. Cmon Tom don't you want to play under Ross the Boss?

Barrass would do us a big favour to come out and say he is willing to look at other options. Saints absolutely in the perfect spot to get him. Straight swap of Battle for Barrass is a big win for them.

Would rule out a straight swap for Baker too. Cmon Tom don't you want to play under Ross the Boss?
Bombers pick 9 would be alright too. Do they need a KPD? Let’s just start ringing clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back