List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get where you're coming from but, despite his bias, I do believe Ralph to not be the type to just make shit up. Twist it, 100%, but not flat out lie.

How does that conversation go?

WC:
"We will get a pick between 15 and 20 and trade it for you. That's it. No futures, no multiple picks, no pick slides, just a pick specifically between 15 and 20."

Baker:
"OK. But I'll only come for a pick specifically between 15 and 20 because I love Richmond so much"

Isn’t it just as likely to be Carlton’s F1 and Hawthorns F2 for Barrass?
No, carltons f1+carltons f2 is worth the same as pick 14.

We couldve just accepted 14 and swapped 14 for those 2 picks with Carlton on our own if thats what we wanted
Carlton’s F1 for Baker - Richmond would take our hand off for that given Carlton’s bed shitting ability.
Yes, that might be in the ballpark, id ask for a f3 back though

Nope, they cooking up a second way to spin a man’s hat here. Still going after TB and I like that we sent them off to create something that works for us. Backing Clarke in here
Trade chat aside, is this a phrase? Have I just never encountered this, the greatest combinations of words in the English language, before?

Isn’t it just as likely to be Carlton’s F1 and Hawthorns F2 for Barrass?

Carlton’s F1 for Baker - Richmond would take our hand off for that given Carlton’s bed shitting ability.
No thanks.

Next year's draft is seriously compromised and those F1 could be pick 25+

Trade Radio reported that we were going to use Pick 14 to get a Pick between 15-20 for Baker so Richmond weren’t happy in the first place.

Fvxk the Tigers, don't care if they are happy. He's OOC and signed off at the B&F with a rousing 20 word speech that is best summarized as "caaaaaatch!"

Tigers will not risk their culture trying to pick Baker up in the PSD against his will. Just won't happen. If Freo were before us, yes, absolutely that could happen. But it would be so counter productive to try and pin him at the club they are better off taking something fair, or below fair, like we did with Ebert and Rioli.

We're in a rare position where we don't have to overpay for Baker, and should be overpaid for TB. It could give our rebuild a real Bombers jab in the arm if we get it right.

How does that conversation go?

WC:
"We will get a pick between 15 and 20 and trade it for you. That's it. No futures, no multiple picks, no pick slides, just a pick specifically between 15 and 20."

Baker:
"OK. But I'll only come for a pick specifically between 15 and 20 because I love Richmond so much"
I don't doubt you for a second. I don't see why a list manager would tell a player what we're going to chase for their old club. It just doesn't seem true. But it would also be terrible journalism.

Yeah which is why they are more likely to go all out to contend by picking up a key piece like TB. We have less urgency to deal him, he’s contracted. Let’s see what they come up with before we wet the bed again. These sheets just got changed, chill
Rookie mistake. I swapped to adult nappies and plastic sheets days ago.

Hawks may be wheeling and dealing to land us the equivalent of 14 + F1 while getting them some extras back which wouldn’t have happened if dealing with us alone.

Or dream scenario, it’s fallen through with the Hawks. Swans have re-emerged and TB is keen. Meanwhile Chad decides on a move to the Eagles. Swans address their shaky defense and we add one of the best young mids in the comp. TB plus F1 for Chad 🤝🏽

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously what are the melts about exactly

We told Hawks 14 wasn't enough and now they're out searching for more picks?

It's Friday and it's 30 degrees out, the pints aren't that far off gentlemen, just settle down
Look at his guy boasting how he can afford pints in this economy...

*i'm working on assumption pints are still super expensive in Perth as I live in Sydney

You'd think Hawks wouldn't have done it unless we had given them an indication we'd take 2x F1's for Tom. We've said all along we wanted 2 x firsts for him.
It means Hawks get Carlons F2 as a bonus out of the deal.
Bingo.

Poor poor Baker wanted to help tuggas one last time.

You will come to us for pick 23.

Listen here you either **** over tuggas or you can gtfo from wce

Can’t see (or care) why Baker would be furious
We’re acting in good faith if we are attempting to secure a 15-20 pick for him. Doesn’t mean we have to fold to take hawks pick 14

You'd think Hawks wouldn't have done it unless we had given them an indication we'd take 2x F1's for Tom. We've said all along we wanted 2 x firsts for him.
It means Hawks get Carlons F2 as a bonus out of the deal.
Omg

3x F1 next year.

Oh my God. **** Baker off.

Ride with Fred Rodrigez, Cody Curtin and Pick 1-3

Barrass for Hawks future first and Carlton's future second rounder? Then give Richmond the hawks F1 for Baker?

Not good enough according to those on this board but if the club genuinely wants a first and second for him, it works.
No.

They just traded 14 for Carltons f1 and f2, why tf would we take roughly the same as pick 14 value when we originally wanted 14+f2?

TB is financially motivated right now - if we renegotiate his contract he won't have any problems committing himself to us in 25'
Why would we do that, he signed the contract? We already offered him a modest increase which he decided wasn't enough which is why he's requested to go to hawthorn. If he wants that difference made up he can go to the saints or someone similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back