List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back Tom Barrass.

We have your old jumper number and your old locker

Already in our best 22.

Barrass for Hawks future first and Carlton's future second rounder? Then give Richmond the hawks F1 for Baker?

Not good enough according to those on this board but if the club genuinely wants a first and second for him, it works.
IMO future picks are devalued this year - most clubs are trying to trade into this draft.

If it's future picks, I'd want 2x firsts for TB

geez what did I miss

Boss: Hey Bender, it's time for our monthly catch up - shouldn't be more than an half a hour or so.

Me: No worries (back of my mind worried about what I'll miss)

Come back to catch up on 5 pages of almost nothing; which is exactly what I both hoped for and expected.

No.

They just traded 14 for Carltons f1 and f2, why tf would we take roughly the same as pick 14 value when we originally wanted 14+f2?
Would we do the original trade per Hawthorn's request (Barrass + F3 for 14 + F2) for the new picks (Barrass + F3 for F1 + F2 + F2)?

I wonder if Hawks will make a play for GC's pick 6 and look to ontrade that to us?

2xF2 picks for GC's 6 + 29

Hawks walk away with Barrass + Carltons F2 + 29
Eagles get pick 6
GC get 2 x F1's
I think that would be seen as a bad trade by the Hawks. Barrass isnt worth Pick 6 and you'd probably want your club using it in this year's draft

TB is financially motivated right now - if we renegotiate his contract he won't have any problems committing himself to us in 25'

No **** that - he has been trying to leave for 2 years because he wants a contract until he’s 34 and still talks up his ‘potentially career ending back injury’ in the media.

The guy is done at WCE - thanks for that great half a season you played in 2022 (that you never went near to emulating for the club again).

Why would we do that, he signed the contract? We already offered him a modest increase which he decided wasn't enough which is why he's requested to go to hawthorn. If he wants that difference made up he can go to the saints or someone similar.
I mean we can, but he'd likely request a trade again next year.

He's only getting older so if we don't extract maximum trade value out of him now, we're better off keeping him IMO.

I wonder if Hawks will make a play for GC's pick 6 and look to ontrade that to us?

Eagles get pick 6
GC get 2 x F1's
I wouldn't think GC will trade 6 when it's on the table for Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boss: Hey Bender, it's time for our monthly catch up - shouldn't be more than an half a hour or so.

Me: No worries (back of my mind worried about what I'll miss)

Come back to catch up on 5 pages of almost nothing; which is exactly what I both hoped for and expected.
lol like you have a job

No **** that - he has been trying to leave for 2 years because he wants a contract until he’s 34 and still talks up his ‘potentially career ending back injury’ in the media.

The guy is done at WCE - thanks for that great half a season you played in 2022 (that you never went near to emulating for the club again).

He did ham up that back injury I feel. Like it was decent but he was really boo-hooing like he wasn’t a guy that was going to sign a long term deal and pass a medical at another club - both of which I still fully expect him to do

Last edited:
I think that would be seen as a bad trade by the Hawks. Barrass isnt worth Pick 6 and you'd probably want your club using it in this year's draft
You can only bring in youth for so long.
Hawthorn's strategy this trade period is to lift from "almost top 4" to premiership contenders. Barrass & Battle could make them genuine flag chance.

Eagles get pick 6
GC get 2 x F1's
Another option is St Kilda. Hawthorn trades 2 x F1 to St Kilda for 8 + F2. Hawthorn then gives 8 + 33 to us for Barrass + 26. Saints can then offload one of those F1's to GWS for 16 or 21. Hawthorn winds up with Barrass + 2x F2 for 14 + F1.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back