List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont think that 14+f2 for Barrass+f3 was ever offered tbh

Fine line between "officially" offered and offered IMO, those talks for those picks certainly took place.

Wander around Sydney and see how many sets of of Australian Rules goalposts you see, compared to Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne.

Participation rates even lower than your numbers would not be at all surprising. Sure, not zero, and probably higher than a decade ago, but that's because the AFL puts resources into the area - including the AFL teams, not despite it.

Plus, it's also worth noting the key role that elite schools play in sports development (as much as I hate it from an educational standpoint, but that's a whole other thing) - the elite schools in WA/SA/Vic are churning out AFL players - in NSW/Qld, they're building teams for the NRL.

The goalposts anecdote doesn't correlate with the numbers of players coming through however.

As of 2024, Qld already has more registered players than SA. NSW is on track to do that also before the end of the decade.

Look no further than the increasing numbers of northern state representation occurring in national academy squads.

The current generation of kids coming through in these states have no awareness of previous code wars where support of one over the other was absolute - they just want to play, and are more than happy to be involved in multiple codes if the opportunities are available.

You don't need goalposts to learn how to kick, handball, mark and tackle.

As for schools, in Qld alone there are 12 schools of excellence that are directly aligned with Brisbane and Gold Coast's academies. I expect similar arrangements exist in NSW as well.

It's arguable that talent development programs in the northern states are now more accessible than those in WA and SA.

Gut feel is everything is pretty much agreed and it'll be a TV bonanza on Wednesday afternoon. There's plenty of players waiting to find new homes. I reckon the AFL want the entire 1.5 weeks worth to be crammed into the last hour or so.

You'd hope the players concerned have been made aware of the moves once they've gone through and don't have to wait until it's announced on Wednesday evening, otherwise it's a bit of a campaigner move for them to find out where their career/life is going for the sake of tv ratings that no one gives a shit about.

Gut feel is everything is pretty much agreed and it'll be a TV bonanza on Wednesday afternoon. There's plenty of players waiting to find new homes. I reckon the AFL want the entire 1.5 weeks worth to be crammed into the last hour or so.
I’ve said it before but they should just open up conversations from the day after the grand final except it’s not a big hyped up thing with any coverage and then a few weeks later have “Trade Day” where it’s all televised and all the deals go through.

But then the AFL don’t get to tweet every day for 1.5 weeks that “HUGE deals are IMMINENT”.

The goalposts anecdote doesn't correlate with the numbers of players coming through however.

As of 2024, Qld already has more registered players than SA. NSW is on track to do that also before the end of the decade.

Look no further than the increasing numbers of northern state representation occurring in national academy squads.

The current generation of kids coming through in these states have no awareness of previous code wars where support of one over the other was absolute - they just want to play, and are more than happy to be involved in multiple codes if the opportunities are available.

You don't need goalposts to learn how to kick, handball, mark and tackle.

As for schools, in Qld alone there are 12 schools of excellence that are directly aligned with Brisbane and Gold Coast's academies. I expect similar arrangements exist in NSW as well.

It's arguable that talent development programs in the northern states are now more accessible than those in WA and SA.
Growth in Sydney has been strong (from a low base) a lot of work even to establish ovals etc. People forget the Riverina is NSW - AFL heartland.

You'd hope the players concerned have been made aware of the moves once they've gone through and don't have to wait until it's announced on Wednesday evening, otherwise it's a bit of a campaigner move for them to find out where their career/life is going for the sake of tv ratings that no one gives a shit about.

Schoey is live streaming it Wednesday 330pm and one of his best mates TB will be on air with him. Probably tells you all you need to know about how orchestrated it is.

Unless I am wrong. Guess we'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unders or overs on this thread hitting 500 pages before an actual trade happens

come on!!!!

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

Schofield on Shelter FootyCast posted today, just said Pick 14 was never on the table for TB, it was always future picks. Said Eagles may have wanted it, but it was always future picks.
If you knew this information Schofield, why talk about it after the fact when everyone else was talking about pick 14 being part of the discussion for Baker!
If true what Schofield is saying, what future picks do we want? I wonder if Pick 14 was never part of the original conversations for Baker as so repeatedly talked about by the media
Hopefully enough capital to trade into GC pick 6 is what I hope we get for barass. So maybe 2 firsts and we send a f3 back to Hawks. If Warner is on the cards next year, we have not only our f1 next year but the ability to trade futures 2 years in advance. In my opinion we should be trying to get back into the top 10 with barass this year

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back