List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
It hurts Hawthorn next year and possibly beyond when they approach another trade target to come to their club and the players manager tells their client to consider another club because Hawthorn can’t be trusted to seal the deal
Is that really a thing though? Doesn't seem to have hurt other teams in the past. Essendon couldn't get a trade done for Dunkley, Hunter Clark to the Roos last year and Sharp to freo (who then went through psd in the end). Trades fall through and I think players and agents move on pretty quickly.

Is this the Warner that the Swans board rides for being fantastic when things are going great, and disappearing when they aren't?

If it's that Warner, I'm suspecting he is worth more when playing for the Swans than he will be when playing for us.

The Warner playing for the Swans may be worth Oscar.

I'm not sure the Warner that will be running around in our struggling team will be.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He will be a spud for us bookmark it, iv watched him closely enough to see he’s a cherry on top player for a contender not someone you sell the farm for while rebuilding. We would be absolute idiots to pursue him with our deficiencies and the list we currently have

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="sharps" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Gold Coast just gave pick [emoji6] and for Daniel Rioli so at best we are a dynamic duo, the Coast to Coast Pick Farmers.

"Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.. we'll give you first rounders bitches, the higher the better!"

First round picks don’t mean anything to the suns.. they give them away and get them for the following year for academy kicks or to recruit what they want

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It hurts Hawthorn next year and possibly beyond when they approach another trade target to come to their club and the players manager tells their client to consider another club because Hawthorn can’t be trusted to seal the deal

Does it though?

Feels like the AFL fishbowl is just a load of wank and relationships/previous history is immediately forgotten by next offseason. Regardless about what happened/didn't happen.

You think GWS is still annoyed Hately walked to the crows via the PSD? Or Fold Coast with Jack Martin?

Odd because Fold Coast willingly traded with Carlton again soon after, giving them Elijah Holland's for a packet of cheezels.

GWS and Adelaide also happily traded draft picks with each other last year. They're also currently dealing with them again for Peatling. Clearly neither cares about previous trade relations.

Interesting to see how quickly the Bailey Smith situation is immediately forgotten about if Geelong continue playing hardball and he goes to the PSD. Stephen Wells and Andrew Mackie will once again be called geniuses.

Grahame had nothing to do with our picks though? The deal was done without picks and before the pick swap 🙈
The deal was done but it seems we made a commitment to him that we would get Baker and compensate Richmond well.

It would be a big hit to our credibility especially with player managers if we reneged on that.

Does it though?

Feels like the AFL fishbowl is just a load of wank and relationships/previous history is immediately forgotten by next offseason. Regardless about what happened/didn't happen.

You think GWS is still annoyed Hately walked to the crows via the PSD? Or Fold Coast with Jack Martin?

Odd because Fold Coast willingly traded with Carlton again soon after, giving them Elijah Holland's for a packet of cheezels.

GWS and Adelaide also happily traded draft picks with each other last year. They're also currently dealing with them again for Peatling. Clearly neither cares about previous trade relations.

Interesting to see how quickly the Bailey Smith situation is immediately forgotten about if Geelong continue playing hardball and he goes to the PSD. Stephen Wells and Andrew Mackie will once again be called geniuses.
Yeah the whole goodwill stuff is bollocks. It’s like not tackling opposition players too hard because you want to maintain good working relationships

That doesn’t worry me in the slightest, Hawks helped us by blowing up the draft, just to grandstand and be far(heads.
TB’s manager and Paul Conners already pissed at Hawks for their stunt.
Exonerates us from being the bad guys.

Tommy is a big boy sit him down and possibly give him a little bit more coin, and he accepts that he is an Eagle for life.

TB not being traded won’t have a big difference on our rebuild, sure it would have helped with a few more picks, but it was never going to be a game changer.
The rebuild is going to be slow and painful, just have to accept that.

Still plenty of time to get the trade done.

AND

Don’t forget that it might have already been done but the AFL loves to stage manage the suspense and choreography the whole event.

Got to keep people listening and watching the AFL programs ….. the longer the suspense the more dollars 💵 💵💵💵💵 for the AFL…. always look for the self interest.
announcement will come 07:29:45PM EST

Does it though?

The Peatling trade looks like breaking down, it might not be the best example for your point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hating reading these walk through the draft threats teams are using right now. They might not even follow through, but it at least gives you an upper hand in negotiations for an OOC player. We are way too nice with our "that is not how we do business" comments.

Can't believe we folded early and traded overs for baker like he had 2 years left on a deal.

thinking about the whole 'commitment to baker' shtick, what happened to honouring the commitment to taking care of TBs contract renegotiation?

The club offered him more money, it wasn't as much as he wanted.

At a certain point leaders need to back in their staff and if Clarke was insisting that's how it had to be then he can't completely ignore that in the moment. It's like a coach refusing to criticise players who screw up in a game at the presser afterwards - it doesn't mean it won't be addressed behind the scenes when the dust settles.

Again, the trade was overs but not half the catastrophe it's being made out as - Freo were effectively offering 11 for Baker so like it or not it was market value. There is no Harley Reid that we are missing out on at pick 3 this year, if the pick was 8 and we got 17 to give to Richmond we would have probably accepted this all and moved on. The way the draft is odds are decent at 12 we get an equivalent player we would have taken with that pick 8. The draft is a crapshoot at the best of times and to add to all of that there are clearly red flags on some of the top end for us.

I don't love it either but we need to calm down just a bit.
Freo were offering 11 for Baker because he is worth more than that draft pick for him. The question is if Baker was worth trading down from pick 3 to 12 for us.

Market value is irrelevant if what you're buying is out of your budget. If the car you want to buys market value is $60000 and you can buy it for $56000 but your budget is $40000 you shouldn't buy that car

Last edited:
Is this the Warner that the Swans board rides for being fantastic when things are going great, and disappearing when they aren't?

If it's that Warner, I'm suspecting he is worth more when playing for the Swans than he will be when playing for us.

The Warner playing for the Swans may be worth Oscar.

I'm not sure the Warner that will be running around in our struggling team will be.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sorry for the intrusion jatz, with all sincerity, I'm seriously not trying to troll you guys but I agree completely with you.

In all honesty, you guys seriously need to be loading up with draft picks like Richmond are. I know you're not gunna like it, but I said the same thing last year that you should have sold pick 1 for as many first rounders as you could get to load up with developing superstars and smash out your rebuild.

There's gunna be some compromised drafts coming up with Tassie entering the comp in a couple of years and I'm not convinced Chads gunna be your difference maker long term as much as a group developing 1st rounders will be.

I know you're all gunna jump on me and tell me to pi55 off back to my own board, but I honestly reckon you're all better off taking your medicine and getting started on this rebuild as soon as possible rather than looking for that big name import that might be a bandaid fix but will probably be worth just a couple of extra bums on seats at Optus on a Sunday arvo.

And trust me, as a Fremantle supporter, I do speak from experience on that. Don't do what we've done for the past 30 years.

Good luck guys and gals.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back