List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Richmond players wanting to leave the club in their prime and the offshoot that they can extract good trades for contracted players isn’t entirely enviable. It will happen to this 2024 megacrop too unless they get some decent retention through what will be plenty of tough times on the park

im horny donald glover GIF

pantskyle said:
Remove them

Or we could look at 3 teams that have already had similar re/builds in GC, GWS, Melbourne and North to see it's been a less than successful angle for 3 out of the 4 of those.

I just don't think we should be pumping up Richmond's list build after they've just got the spoon, been unable to retain 3 out for their top 5 players and have loaded up on picks. I think it's a sexy way to keep your supporters happy, but yes, tine will tell if this fails again.
These rebuilds are hard to do because when you have too many young players, they can't cut it. But if you find a way through, you have a list good enough to be competing for a flag. GC had a revolving door. They couldn't hold players. I assume with Dees you're talking the Scully/Trengove era? Scully was an outsider, Trengove had injuries and wasn't that good. There's actually more clubs that have failed trying to trade players in - Voss's Lions, Saints, Bombers etc.

Tigers with Dusty, Cotch, Reiwoldt, Dees with Trac, Oliver, Gawn. You have to have a nucleus of top tier talent. You also have to have an age-spread profile. What does this mean? You can trade in players at any time. But you can pretty much only get that nucleus of top tier talent when you have top 5 picks.

1. Got the draft when you have top 5 picks
2. Trade in once you have a nucleus. Make sure you have some senior players.
3. Recruit for gaps, which usually means cherry on top outsider and guys who can transition with run and elite disposal out of defence.

North have got so much talent, if that get over that hump of young players not being able to cut it, they should be in the hunt for a flag.

These rebuilds are hard to do because when you have too many young players, they can't cut it. But if you find a way through, you have a list good enough to be competing for a flag. GC had a revolving door. They couldn't hold players. I assume with Dees you're talking the Scully/Trengove era? Scully was an outsider, Trengove had injuries and wasn't that good. There's actually more clubs that have failed trying to trade players in - Voss's Lions, Saints, Bombers etc.

Tigers with Dusty, Cotch, Reiwoldt, Dees with Trac, Oliver, Gawn. You have to have a nucleus of top tier talent. You also have to have an age-spread profile. What does this mean? You can trade in players at any time. But you can pretty much only get that nucleus of top tier talent when you have top 5 picks.

1. Got the draft when you have top 5 picks
2. Trade in once you have a nucleus. Make sure you have some senior players.
3. Recruit for gaps, which usually means cherry on top outsider and guys who can transition with run and elite disposal out of defence.

North have got so much talent, if that get over that hump of young players not being able to cut it, they should be in the hunt for a flag.

I'm saying that I don't think there's a cut and dry right or wrong way to rebuild. I'm not saying we are doing it the right way either. Richmond's tactics so far look like a great way to keep a supporter base happy whilst being shit coz they can say "but look at all our picks!". It's too early to say they are killing it, they suck for another 3 to 4 years at least. Time will tell if they have got it right.

Since 2021 we’ve brought in :

2021 - Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, J Williams, Culley
2022 - Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Dewar, Maric
2023 - Reid, Reid, Hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Livingstone, Hutchinson

And we’ll add another 3-4 in this year’s draft

Now a couple of those might not be on the list much longer and there’s significant question marks on some others. Some have battled injury - notably Bazzo and Hewett. But there’s still talent there to work with

New coach and a renewed coaching staff with a focus on development to bring these kids through, maybe with different roles for some. The success of this group, or otherwise will determine if we start our climb back up or stall meaning we get stuck just as Tasmania are about to enter the competition

Need to nail these picks we do have this year, particularly after trading out pick 3

Interesting. Freo list manager saying Bo Allan isn't a need. Good old Clarkey puts him in the top 20 range and mentions the need not to focus exclusively on WA players.

Let's see if this is more chess versus checkers trying to make us pass over him. I haven't watched a second of the kids footage but he sounds like a pick most on here are hoping we don't make. If he slips to Freo and they grab him then it's pretty fair to say Freo shouldn't be trusted with anything they put in the media regarding trade and draft. It's just a vehicle for them to generate propaganda.

Let's see if this is more chess versus checkers trying to make us pass over him. I haven't watched a second of the kids footage but he sounds like a pick most on here are hoping we don't make. If he slips to Freo and they grab him then it's pretty fair to say Freo shouldn't be trusted with anything they put in the media regarding trade and draft. It's just a vehicle for them to generate propaganda.
Might be a stretch - I'd hope our draft order isn't influenced by what Freo thinks about a player.

Is it a little overblown about how much the Tassie team will impact things?

Teams can still trade players to Tassie to get access to high picks (similar to the Tigers this year). I get that picks get pushed back but that didn't impact us too much in GCs first draft (2010)

That one set up our 2018 flag tbh (Gaff, Darling, Lycett, Gov)

Since 2021 we’ve brought in :

2021 - Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, J Williams, Culley
2022 - Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Dewar, Maric
2023 - Reid, Reid, Hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Livingstone, Hutchinson

And we’ll add another 3-4 in this year’s draft

Now a couple of those might not be on the list much longer and there’s significant question marks on some others. Some have battled injury - notably Bazzo and Hewett. But there’s still talent there to work with

New coach and a renewed coaching staff with a focus on development to bring these kids through, maybe with different roles for some. The success of this group, or otherwise will determine if we start our climb back up or stall meaning we get stuck just as Tasmania are about to enter the competition

Need to nail these picks we do have this year, particularly after trading out pick 3

Bazzo, Hough, Maric and Reid are the only players I have seen that look like they will make it. The others are stuck in development hell.

The Eagles need more midfield depth to really start climbing the ladder. 7-8 wins next year is the ceiling.

Is it a little overblown about how much the Tassie team will impact things?

Teams can still trade players to Tassie to get access to high picks (similar to the Tigers this year). I get that picks get pushed back but that didn't impact us too much in GCs first draft (2010)

That one set up our 2018 flag tbh (Gaff, Darling, Lycett, Gov)
You couldn't ask for a better draft in the circumstances than 2010, it is probably the exception not the norm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bazzo, Hough, Maric and Reid are the only players I have seen that look like they will make it. The others are stuck in development hell.

The Eagles need more midfield depth to really start climbing the ladder. 7-8 wins next year is the ceiling.
I agree, but what tends to happen is when you start getting some top class players, other players start stepping up. So I think out of the rest, if we get some good talent in, some of these guys will step up. Remember Hunter? Looked fringey, probably won't make it. Judd comes in, Cuzz and Kerr hit that 80-100 game mark, Cox steps up, all of a sudden Hunts is the best swing man in the AFL. Embley was also touch and go if he'd make it.

Pretty sure offering Graham a 4 year contract is the definition of trying to hold onto him
They tried to hold onto to the one player they wouldn't get decent draft compensation for...

I think the point is not if Richmond wanted those players they let go... but rather if Richmond was content to let players go knowing there would be significant draft compensation.

The development part of it is a massive issue that has hopefully started to be addressed. Can have all the picks in the world hard to show much playing in that WAFL team or even the AFL side when they're throwing in the towel (like they have way too often)

The 2023 crop is too early to judge. I'm very confident Ginbey will be a player. Hewett and Long if they get over their injuries have a heap of talent. J Williams can play too. Bazzo hasn't had a crack at it yet

Will Hayes is an intriguing talent who hasn't always found consistent form this year but has more than enough about him to have clubs interested come the November draft. This was one of his best performances for the season showing his lovely turn of pace, agility to dodge and weave around opponents, strong disposal skills and the moxie to take the game on with attacking and decisive play.

Will Hayes is an intriguing talent who hasn't always found consistent form this year but has more than enough about him to have clubs interested come the November draft. This was one of his best performances for the season showing his lovely turn of pace, agility to dodge and weave around opponents, strong disposal skills and the moxie to take the game on with attacking and decisive play.

He's got a bit of Darcy Jones about him. Is he rated good enough to draft?

He's got a bit of Darcy Jones about him. Is he rated good enough to draft?
Speaking for myself, I definitely think so. Its more difficult this year given the depth of the pool, some kids that would get drafted in a normal year will miss out, but I don't think Will is going to be one of those. Back end for sure, but someone will give him a shot.

You couldn't ask for a better draft in the circumstances than 2010, it is probably the exception not the norm.

We only really have 2010 and 11 to go off don't we (GC and GWS 1st years)?

WC and Richmond were bottom in 2010

GC (who don't count because they had all the picks anyway) and Port were bottom in 2011

Granted Port haven't won one but they've been up there nearly every year since. Richmond and WC speak for themselves

Obviously it's not ideal to be down there during those years, but still think it's being massively overblown

Too late to redeem anything nowthat have fckd our draft hand. Trade out of this year's draft and start again next year.

Trade pick 12 to the Suns for 2 x F1st round picks, then a proper rebuild can start.

Yes it is another wasted year, but it gives us 12 months of regret to the clean out our recruiting department and capital to restart

If you’ve watched Jack Williams and don’t think he will make it I really don’t know what to tell you. Ginbey has shown enough at the back end of this year to show that he will be a good HBF at the very least.

Hewett has also shown enough traits, the question is whether he can stay fit.

You explicitly said their rebuild will be further along than ours after this draft, and I totally disagree
And that’s still not saying they’re a better team.

And they’re rebuild will be further along, because they’ll have more kids on to their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back