List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Richmond list balanced?

No. It's just been turned upside down with key players at their peak electing to move.

It will take several years to balance it and next year they are looking very young and vulnerable.

Eagles list is much better balanced now. And have 3 1sts, 3 2nds and 3 3rds to take to the draft or trade over the next two drafts.

Only way Richmond leap frog us is by trading in mature players. But as we all know Briztoon doesn't factor in players traded in when assessing a list.......except for his own Lions of course ;) .

Why would it be balanced? They're at the bottom of the ladder? Doesn't need to be balanced.
In a couple of seasons when and if these young guys come on they'll be going ok
We've got a good draft hand next year but we'll probably use the bulk of it on Warner.and if we don't it's not the best year to have all those picks with it being so compromised
We're in the fortunate position in that we've got our KPF stocks sorted current and future but our midfield list a barren wasteland if hewitt and hall don't come on

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently we offered GWS 3 for 15 and 16 before Carlton stepped in. Sack Clarke sooner rather than later please.
And how were we going to meet Richmond’s demands for Baker?

The mind shudders, it could have been even worse than it was.

ROB’s stodgy conservatism now looking good. I never thought I would say that.

The last sentence needs to be balanced by the fact that a number of critical recent recruiting misses have helped to land us where we are.

And that’s still not saying they’re a better team.

And their rebuild will be further along, because they’ll have more kids on to their list.
“They’ll have more kids on the list”

The eagles currently have 19 players under 22 on the list, and an extra first and second next season.

Richmond have 10 players under 22 and an extra 6 picks this year.

Your claims are simply not based on reality, at least try and do a modicum of research first.

Too late to redeem anything nowthat have fckd our draft hand. Trade out of this year's draft and start again next year.

Trade pick 12 to the Suns for 2 x F1st round picks, then a proper rebuild can start.

Yes it is another wasted year, but it gives us 12 months of regret to the clean out our recruiting department and capital to restart
Dont the Suns need points next year, esp given the new rule?

If not, everyone wants in on this draft and the reality, it would be the same as every other draft. Hits misses and meh. So lets buck the trend

Id be open to the above

Would put us in a great position to maximise points next year.

If that happened, we could sell our F1 for 8 and Saints F2. Enabling us to get back into the top 8 this year
Would leave us with 8 and 26

But a 2025 hand of;

3 x F1 (Hawks Collingwood Port)
3 x F2 (WCE Saints Hawks)
2 x F3 (WCE Hawks)

Could easily get Warner and top 5 pick with that

Ill stop drinking now

Why I don’t think it’s his priority? Just because it comes at the end of we wanted a string draft this year or next ect ect. Or we have the option to trade back in.

Where Pyke almost made it sound like a priority.

Hope I’m wrong. Pick 11 and 12 would be a very good outcome imo

My impression was Pyke was just spinning hope as a distraction to appease the angry mob ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve said multiple times, I see both clubs at the same stage/place.

And their rebuild will be further along, because they’ll have more kids on to their list.

Oh so in the same place until November 21st, then they’re clearly ahead?

I don’t think just the raw quantity of youth in a side is the predominant key factor in how a particular rebuild is tracking when it comes to comparing clubs.

Development, retention, balance, culture are all important. The expansion clubs had a plethora of youth that came in a flurry, but premiership aspirations can be undone in a multitude of ways by the other factors mentioned

For all the media saying we are primed to get Warner next year, Freo are capable of getting him as well. They hold all their future picks as well as Tigers R3.

If they see Warner as a priority, they trade pick 14 on draft night for a F1 and F2. Carlton have already done that.

Essendon would be very interested in that post the Kako bid. Dons have 2 x F1 and a stack of R2 and R3 this year. I will leave it as that and avoid the day trader missing the high level point only to rebuking the incidentals.

For all the media saying we are primed to get Warner next year, Freo are capable of getting him as well. They hold all their future picks as well as Tigers R3.

If they see Warner as a priority, they trade pick 14 on draft night for a F1 and F2. Carlton have already done that.

Essendon would be very interested in that post the Kako bid. Dons have 2 x F1 and a stack of R2 and R3 this year. I will leave it as that and avoid the day trader missing the high level point only to rebuking the incidentals.

Are Freo primed from a salary cap point of view? If Chad nominates us thats most of the hard work done. Then we need to pay what's fair, not what Freo pump up his market value to be.

Too late to redeem anything nowthat have fckd our draft hand. Trade out of this year's draft and start again next year.

Trade pick 12 to the Suns for 2 x F1st round picks, then a proper rebuild can start.

Yes it is another wasted year, but it gives us 12 months of regret to the clean out our recruiting department and capital to restart

So a "proper rebuild" is just getting heaps of picks in one draft?

Good to know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've made some mistakes in our rebuild, thats for sure but I still think we are well ahead of the Tigers, even with their plethora of picks this year.
They're going to suck for a couple years, its going to create unrest and they'll sack their coach like we have. They've got that to look forward to before they get to where we are. They'll also have some misses in the draft.

We've been seriously hamstrung by only getting one pick inside 30 the last couple of years but I think we've gone through the worst part and are finally starting to build again.

As much as Briztoon likes to Brizsplain how bad our list is and talk everyone down, he doesn't really know shit about our list.
Ginbey - Showed plenty of HBF and in his first season in the middle was pretty impressive.
Hough - Top 5 in B&F has shut down some of the best smalls in the comp. Top line HBF
Reid - One of the brightest prospects in the entire AFL.
Waterman - AA and 50goals in limited forward 50's
Allen - Another 50+ goal forward
Hewett - Huge talent and genuine x factor player.
Jilliams - Showed plenty this year for a 20year old key forward. Accurate kick, clean hands and high footy iq
Maric - Elite kick, good mark and has shown he has all the tools to be an AFL player.
Hutch - Half a season in the AFL and already shown glimpses of his potential. Quick, good mark, kicks goals and shown something when put in the middle.
Long - Top 10 in B&F in rookie season. Clean hands, high iq with midfield traits.
Hedwards - Came in and looked like an AFL full back. The only reason we decided to let Barrass explore his options is because he showed he could cut it.
Billiams - Played 70 games now which isn't bad for a 24year old ruckman. Needs to bulk out a bit and work on his strength to compete with the gorilla rucks but has shown glimpses of potential. Hope he spends the whole preseason training as a ruck.

Also AReid, Bazzo, Hall, HJ, Brockman, Barnett all have potential and something to work with.
Supported by Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Baker, Gov, Cole, Ryan, Hunt, Owies, Graham and Cripps.

Theres definitely some pieces to work with.

I guess it depends, if Warner nominates us and doesn't waiver than it doesn't really matter what Freo has.

Sydney can get a fair but not exorbitant return. Our F1 and Hawthorn should be the max and if they are both top 10 - something should come back.

And if he does waiver or just 'wants to get to WA' then we don't pursue him. And that's something we need to determine as soon as possible.

That happened when he fell into a pit of nuclear waste.
The Simpsons Cartoon GIF

Since 2021 we’ve brought in :

2021 - Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, J Williams, Culley
2022 - Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Dewar, Maric
2023 - Reid, Reid, Hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Livingstone, Hutchinson

And we’ll add another 3-4 in this year’s draft

Now a couple of those might not be on the list much longer and there’s significant question marks on some others. Some have battled injury - notably Bazzo and Hewett. But there’s still talent there to work with

New coach and a renewed coaching staff with a focus on development to bring these kids through, maybe with different roles for some. The success of this group, or otherwise will determine if we start our climb back up or stall meaning we get stuck just as Tasmania are about to enter the competition

Need to nail these picks we do have this year, particularly after trading out pick 3
Good call, although it does suggest pick 3 was an automatic win, which is highly likely, but not guaranteed. And as others have said, you have to wait for that talent to develop, unless it's a generational player like Harley. No doubt the Tassie factor will affect other teams. A big plus if Hewett (and Hall) turned solid. But there are some quality newer players that still haven't found form or position and might be a surprise under new coach and game plan (eg-Maric and Hutchinson)

And if he does waiver or just 'wants to get to WA' then we don't pursue him. And that's something we need to determine as soon as possible.

Dunno about that. Only one club to compete with and we will have more cap space to lure him. I wouldn't be letting him walk to Freo without a fight, but we need to set our limit, particularly as there's some WA talent coming through next year.

Feel the biggest question marks for us next year will be the health of four players.

Yeo, Kelly, Hewett. If they are all healthy and playing to their potential (Hewett) for majority of the year our midfield will be competitive (obviously not against the best teams).

McGovern. We just have no cover if he goes down. Will be messy.

The above play and play well i can see us winning 8-10 games, and finishing 13th - 15th range, with a % moving from 68% to the low 80's.

That would see us with pick in the 4 - 6 range, plus the Hawks pick (say 13- 16 range). Would hand them both over for Warner if he wanted to come. (would try keep our first and trade our F1 (2026 pick).

We've made some mistakes in our rebuild, thats for sure but I still think we are well ahead of the Tigers, even with their plethora of picks this year.
They're going to suck for a couple years, its going to create unrest and they'll sack their coach like we have. They've got that to look forward to before they get to where we are. They'll also have some misses in the draft.

We've been seriously hamstrung by only getting one pick inside 30 the last couple of years but I think we've gone through the worst part and are finally starting to build again.

As much as Briztoon likes to Brizsplain how bad our list is and talk everyone down, he doesn't really know shit about our list.
Ginbey - Showed plenty of HBF and in his first season in the middle was pretty impressive.
Hough - Top 5 in B&F has shut down some of the best smalls in the comp. Top line HBF
Reid - One of the brightest prospects in the entire AFL.
Waterman - AA and 50goals in limited forward 50's
Allen - Another 50+ goal forward
Hewett - Huge talent and genuine x factor player.
Jilliams - Showed plenty this year for a 20year old key forward. Accurate kick, clean hands and high footy iq
Maric - Elite kick, good mark and has shown he has all the tools to be an AFL player.
Hutch - Half a season in the AFL and already shown glimpses of his potential. Quick, good mark, kicks goals and shown something when put in the middle.
Long - Top 10 in B&F in rookie season. Clean hands, high iq with midfield traits.
Hedwards - Came in and looked like an AFL full back. The only reason we decided to let Barrass explore his options is because he showed he could cut it.
Billiams - Played 70 games now which isn't bad for a 24year old ruckman. Needs to bulk out a bit and work on his strength to compete with the gorilla rucks but has shown glimpses of potential. Hope he spends the whole preseason training as a ruck.

Also AReid, Bazzo, Hall, HJ, Brockman, Barnett all have potential and something to work with.
Supported by Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Baker, Gov, Cole, Ryan, Hunt, Owies, Graham and Cripps.

Theres definitely some pieces to work with.

Should be more competitive in 2025 , which takes the pressure of the club we can go under the radar and win trade period.
Exciting times for the younger players and the club.

So a "proper rebuild" is just getting heaps of picks in one draft?

Good to know
No other rebuilding team would trade out 3 for 27 year old Baker + pick 12.

I still can't believe we have pick 12, 26 and 70 this year while finishing third last. We essentially are picking 2 players this year only.

And last year nuffies on Facebook where screaming don't put all eggs in one basket.

This year we are literally putting all our eggs on a basket in pick 12 and also slamming harley reid with a hammer

Should be more competitive in 2025 , which takes the pressure of the club we can go under the radar and win trade period.
Exciting times for the younger players and the club.
Do you take into account ageing elliot yeo and tim kelly (31) and lack of TB

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back