List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some truly elite incompetence from St Kilda over the years.

This is their draft history of picks inside the top 10 since 2010:

That's a heck of a team they could have built.

The above record suggests they'll probably spud this year's charity pick as well.

Wow thats a depressing read for their supporters.

Talk about asleep at the wheel.

McCartin at pick 1 over Petracca is a real all timer.

Although, recent drafts have been solid, with Wanganeen-Milera, Phillipou and D.Wilson. This coincides with Chris Toce taking up the head position within their recruiting team. Interestingly enough, he's now Richmond's national recruiter, while St.Kilda recently acquired Simon Dalrymple who did great work at the Bulldogs and then Sydney.

So I don't expect them to be spudding it up with their picks necessarily.

View attachment 2132448
Look at these idiots.

Even bypassing what a stupid trade that is for WCE they can’t even get the picks right.
I am not here to argue about if Baker worth pick 13 or not.
Whoever prepared this "Mega" trade has to answer the question.
If WCE received for TB from Hawthorn pick 13 + pick 30 and Richmond is willing to take pick 13 for Baker, then why we don't deal with Richmond directly and get Baker and pick 30 (instead of Baker + F4 Port from this Mega trade)? In short, why we have to involve Carlton and Port Adelaide.
Note that I don't think Baker worth a pick 13 anyway.

Last edited:

I am not here to argue about if Baker worth pick 13 or not.
Whoever prepared this "Mega" trade has to answer the question.
If WCE received for TB from Hawthorn pick 13 + pick 30 and Richmond is willing to take pick 13 for Baker, then why we don't deal with Richmond directly and get Baker and pick 30 (instead of Baker + F4 Port from this Mega trade)? In short, why we have to involve Carlton and Port Adelaide.
Note that I don't think Baker worth a pick 13 anyway.
Exactly my point. Whichever peanut prepared that is being paid to comment on the draft and trade space. sharps24 ‘s views on Jamie Cripps are more balanced than this.

The Richmond board seem to think Graham is staying put now. Not sure what seems to have changed, but they aren’t happy about it.
Might be the case but they they also had ‘inside word’ that Baker was staying all year too.

Didn’t mind the Graham signing but prefer others, let’s hope the list team take it as true and now pivot to Garcia and Dev. ;)

Could be a rinse and repeat from his Port Adelaide visit a couple of years ago.

He was gone, gone, gone then …………… maybe………….. no, he’s staying.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was more Port who dropped their interest in Graham the instant they Horne-Francis on the hook

Understandable for Port but they left Graham swinging in the breeze

Twomey just saying us and North and both open to trade backs.
Goes on to mention pick 14 and Liam Baker again though. Ugh

NORTH Melbourne's No.2 pick and West Coast's No.3 selection are on the table as trade chips as clubs contemplate moves up the draft board.

The Roos have been open to splitting the pick for another top-10 selection and a future first-round choice, while the Eagles have dangled their top choice in a mix of trade possibilities as they look to boost their draft hand whilst also securing trade target Liam Baker.

North is also among the clubs to have put forward its future first-round pick to try to buy back into this year's top-end, with the selection also on the table as the Roos chase Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.

The Eagles have placed pick three in the trade mix, with a number of clubs eyeing ways to include the selection as part of deals that send players different ways.

With Gold Coast having pick No.6 on the table for Daniel Rioli, and the out-of-contract Baker wanting to join the Eagles, the possibility of pick No.3 being involved in in a mix that would see the Eagles get a pick go back their way and be able to land Baker has also been raised.

But other avenues to split the pick into multiple choices also exist, particularly with the Eagles set on pick 14 from the Hawks coming their way as part of the Tom Barrass deal.

The Roos have been open to splitting the pick for another top-10 selection and a future first-round choice,
North is also among the clubs to have put forward its future first-round pick to try to buy back into this year's top-end, with the selection also on the table as the Roos chase Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.
So Norf looking to trade back this year’s 1st rounder to get a F1 but are also looking to trade their F1 to get a 1st rounder this year…

Norf gunna Norf I guess.

So Norf looking to trade back this year’s 1st rounder to get a F1 but are also looking to trade their F1 to get a 1st rounder this year…

Norf gunna Norf I guess.
Could it be they instead want to offer one of the split firsts instead of the f1 for their deals? Seems savvy enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Richmond board seem to think Graham is staying put now. Not sure what seems to have changed, but they aren’t happy about it.
Can you direct us to any particular posts/posters, mate? Had a quick glance and couldn't really see that discussion.

The Eagles have placed pick three in the trade mix, with a number of clubs eyeing ways to include the selection as part of deals that send players different ways.

With Gold Coast having pick No.6 on the table for Daniel Rioli, and the out-of-contract Baker wanting to join the Eagles, the possibility of pick No.3 being involved in in a mix that would see the Eagles get a pick go back their way and be able to land Baker has also been raised.

But other avenues to split the pick into multiple choices also exist, particularly with the Eagles set on pick 14 from the Hawks coming their way as part of the Tom Barrass deal.
This seems to be reading as 3+? for 6+Baker maybe also including 14 somehow but presumably with us keeping two first rounders. If that's what it is (and given we may well be happy with who we can get at 6) it seems more palatable than just handing 14 over.

Trading in spuds for the sake of trading is a shit move long term...

And letting go of jets for crap value is another shit move...

Our avenues have been decimated this year by corrupt AFL compo picks

Should reevaluate in 12months

I love trading... But we seem to be getting reamed in scenarios

Imagine how rooted we would have been without bottoming out in 22, 23 & 24 and getting our firsts in the 6-8 range and then being pushed back further by AFL stitefullness?

Actually don’t if you want to enjoy your weekend!

Norf gunna Norf I guess.
You’d think Essendon would be their buyer if Kako top 10 rumours continue.

Looks like we might have multiple buyers in Saints and Richmond/Suns.

If we get that Future first from the Hawks I really hope that’s included and the Suns pick 13 gets thrown in.

This seems to be reading as 3+? for 6+Baker maybe also including 14 somehow but presumably with us keeping two first rounders. If that's what it is (and given we may well be happy with who we can get at 6) it seems more palatable than just handing 14 over.
I read it if we go the Richmond route. Baker + ? (6 you’d hope but maybe 10 😢) for 3. They could well get both Lalor and FOS who they have their eyes on apparently. Jagga as back up. Don’t think any of them are there at 6.

The 14 to be included if it’s Saints 3 + 14 for 7 + 8

Barass + f2 to Hawks for 14 + F1
14 + hawks F1 to Gold Coast 6
3 to Adel for 4 + F2

No one loses here. Westcoast go to the draft with 4,6,26,61(darling),62. Guarantee one of lalor, fos, langford or smillie and Travaglia. Getting the f2 back from Adelaide means we don't hurt next year's draft getting Hawks f1 and missing draper isn't the end of the world

Let GC pay pick 13 for rioli not 6, 6 is our baby. Baker deal can be done in the last 5 minutes of the trade period- pick 26 and we chuck in a fringe player or they can have a crack with freo

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2132448
Look at these idiots.

Even bypassing what a stupid trade that is for WCE they can’t even get the picks right.
riley rose critchlow vomit GIF by Anime Crimes Division

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back