List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Culley flying back with the team this week to begin his rehab, according to Hough & Allen on Coast to Coast.

Said the club gave him a month off before commencing his rehab, so coupled with the report about him wanting to stay and contract negotiations going on, we'll hopefully see news about him re-signing soon.

Can’t see a sensible reason why we’d go for English this year, which is precisely why we might do just that.

It would be a vote of no confidence in Bailey Williams and tantamount to telling him to look elsewhere for opportunities. Williams has had a good year, he’s one player who’s shown real development. There’s every reason to think that with more strength next year and, hopefully, NicNat’s personal coaching, he can improve further.

For those criticising Williams, it’s worth noting that at the same stage of development English wasn’t exactly dominating.

Our focus should be on the draft at this stage, and ruck should be a low priority given that we have 3 developing rucks on the list already one of whom is already serviceable, and we have so many other more pressing priorities.
Simpson said the other that that BWilliams is a forward who'll chop out in the ruck eventually

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Culley flying back with the team this week to begin his rehab, according to Hough & Allen on Coast to Coast.

Said the club gave him a month off before commencing his rehab, so coupled with the report about him wanting to stay and contract negotiations going on, we'll hopefully see news about him re-signing soon.

Between Culley, Long, Burgiel and possibly Reid, we’ll have a decent country VIC vibe going on.

I feel like clubs probably fed mcclure bs but could either to * with him but also wouldn’t be surprised some of the vic clubs wanna drum up a story that he doesn’t wanna leave victoria and put a bit of doubt into our recruiting team
It's not just Manure that's taken the bait either and yeah, wouldn't be at all surprised if the BS hasn't originated from some Vic clubs.

Love that these Vic journo flogs are all going at each other now.
Awesome Let Them Fight GIF by Legendary Entertainment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can totally see this happening...

Pick 1 + Barrass traded out for pick 2 (NM), 17 (NM), 5 (Syd) plus another early 2nd rounder (e.g. We get NM's 39, give that to Syd but get their 2nd rounder back)
Leaves us with 2,5,17,19,22,36,38......

Not that I'm a massive fan as I think we can do better than those trades. But we all know that in the past we just seem to take what's reasonable.

We then take:
2 and 5 is a combination of midfielder and key defender. Dream is McKercher and Curtin, but could be McKercher and O'Sullivan, or Curtin and Sanders (if not pre-listed to NM)
17, 19, 22 on Tholstrup, Hardeman, Sanchez (but not ruling out a tall forward such as Archer Reid or even Logan Morris)
36,38 for some outside run not sure who though O'Driscoll / Torrent but this might be too early for them and don't have to be Wozzies could be interstate draftees

One thing I think has become obvious is we'll prioritise pace and athleticism with high end picks as seen in the last 2 drafts with Chesser (apparently), Ginners, Hewett and Burgiel. Thus Clay Hall an unlikely selection I think (unless I'm mistaken about his speed/power).

Prioritising WA talent again but with a smattering of interstate

Last edited:
Busy week.

Not much chatter to update, Sydney still keen on Barrass but it's in the freezer at the moment, as GWS have thrown a spanner into their plans.

Giants winning five in a row (moving from 15th to 9th [equal 6th by wins]) has shifted any band 1 compensation for Himmelberg from top 5 to outside the top 10. GWS won't let him walk for that, plus Himmelberg has apparently cooled on seeking out now with the turning it's fortunes around.

Don't see any deal occurring until much, much later on (if indeed it does occur at all). Swans don't want to part with [current] pick 5, nor trade any players West Coast are interested in. Barrass isn't the party bringing this about, so could easily end up with nothing happening unless Sydney start getting creative.

Seems West Coast, having informed what would be acceptable, will now sit back and see if Sydney get desperate enough to strike a deal.

L.McDonald camp also making it known there is zero interest in making a move back west at the moment.

Pick 1 + Barrass traded out for pick 2 (NM), 17 (NM), 5 (Syd) plus another early 2nd rounder (e.g. We get NM's 39, give that to Syd but get their 2nd rounder back)

Not that I'm a massive fan as I think we can do better than those trades. But we all know that in the past we just seem to take what's reasonable.

We then take:
2 and 5 is a combination of midfielder and key defender. Dream is McKercher and Curtin, but could be McKercher and O'Sullivan, or Curtin and Sanders (if not pre-listed to NM)
17, 19, 22 on Tholstrup, Hardeman, Sanchez (but not ruling out a tall forward such as Archer Reid or even Logan Morris)
36,38 for some outside run not sure who though O'Driscoll / Torrent but this might be too early for them and don't have to be Wozzies could be interstate draftees

One thing I think has become obvious is we'll prioritise pace and athleticism with high end picks as seen in the last 2 drafts with Chesser (apparently), Ginners, Hewett and Burgiel. Thus Clay Hall an unlikely selection I think (unless I'm mistaken about his speed/power).

Trading 1 and only getting back 2 and 17 would be a disaster, we wouldn’t even entertain that.

Happy to trade for English if it’s one of our late 2nd rounders.

He’s a FA next year trading him this year would be the dogs trying to get something back in return as opposed to nada
They would get first round compo probaly in the teens, unless they decide to tank for the year.

Not that I'm a massive fan as I think we can do better than those trades. But we all know that in the past we just seem to take what's reasonable
Reasonable?

The correct word is weak, isn’t it?

Good Lord

Oh No Reaction GIF

One bloke makes a solitary throw away comment about being "In the know" and linking us to Tinglish and the next 5 pages is people screeching.

"We're trading pick 1 for English!"
"**** this club"
"He's not even that good..."
"Maynard, blocked...."

No wonder this thread moves at Tom Cole pace each day. On what planet, after the club has said time and time again this year (Finally mind you) that we are going to be targetting the draft, would we make a play for Tim English with picks when he's going to cost nothing but cap space next year... coincidently when a bunch of our retiring oldies are no longer around and we're well positioned to offer him decent coin to get him over? Let alone involve the #1 pick in this absurd scenario?

Swans don't want to part with [current] pick 5, nor trade any players West Coast are interested in. Barrass isn't the party bringing this about, so could easily end up with nothing happening unless Sydney start getting creative.

Surely, if they really want Barrass, this is just a preliminary bluff. How do they expect to get him otherwise?

I'm confident Barrass is going nowhere, the mentality behind trading hard for Kelly for a top up has gone. We are in for a slow rebuild and just have to be patient.

We then take:

Take out the small change and step back:
we trade #1 for 2 and 5 but lose Barrass.

Nobody is giving #5 for Barrass - even if they if did we have shot our selves in both feet. Downgraded out pick and lost a structural player with AA credentials.

By destroying the same ruck you are so keen to trade pick 1 for?

How did English go against Gawn in the 1st three quarters of that GF? English then was 23 v Gawn at 30 years. He did better than break even against the best ruck in the comp. Thats Bailey Williams current age people. Lets just stop and think about that for a moment. Actually lets take two moments to think about that.

How many minutes had a 23 yr old English played against the best ruck in the comp AND beaten Gawn? Versus Jackson at 3/4 time who would have been on low minutes playing forward.

English at 23 yrs of age had beaten Gawn for 3 quarters until a fresh quality 20 year old jumped over him in the final quarter.

He a top 2 ruck in the comp and 25 years old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back