List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
I just don’t rate Bailey that high, I don’t think his ceiling is much higher than what he’s showing now.

I’m completely fine with not moving for English, but if all it costs to get him is Bailey and a 2nd rounder, yeah I’d do it.
Fair enough.

I just don't see the value in getting English, when there's other, more pressing, priorities.

Especially considering his age profile compared to the players we're drafting.

The same way Nic helped.

We start winning more stoppages with better supply.

English is also very good at pushing back to help our defence.

English and Bailey make a dynamic combo.

Maybe we trade TB and use the Swans 1st and add English plus Reid. Best outcome.

Some have suggested Barnett could be a good defender.

Rucks who can play forward.

English, Bailey and Jack Williams.

Rucks who can play defense. Barnett and Jamison.
Your leaving yourself wide open to being really disappointed if you think English will make that much difference. He will make a minor difference. Our improvement needs to come across the whole list.

Over my time of watching Rucks they are generally very good at Rucking. I know that is amazing.

They are generally very average at defending or attacking. They simply fill roles at best in those positions with the odd exception.

As Leigh Mathew’s says

Meryl Streep GIF by MOODMAN

Fair enough.

I just don't see the value in getting English, when there's other, more pressing, priorities.

Especially considering his age profile compared to the players we're drafting.

English has at minimum another 5 elite years left and I think his play style will allow him to still be effective when he’s 32-34 as well.

You need to add established talent around the young guys, but I agree with your point for the most part, I’d definitely prefer to revisit the English situation at the end of 2024 when we don’t have to give up assets to get him.

Adam Tomlinson for cheap if Barras leaves while Bazzo and hopefully Curtin develop ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your leaving yourself wide open to being really disappointed if you think English will make that much difference. He will make a minor difference. Our improvement needs to come across the whole list.

Over my time of watching Rucks they are generally very good at Rucking. I know that is amazing.

They are generally very average at defending or attacking. They simply fill roles at best in those positions with the odd exception.

As Leigh Mathew’s says

What Tim English does offer is contested marking and almost Cox - like disposal.
Contested marking is something we are sadly lacking on transition from defence.
Not as good as Gawn at 33 Contested marks (but a much better user). Same CM numbers at 25 as Harris Andrews, Brennan Cox Reilly O'Brien, and our own Tom Barrass.
BBBW has 11, JD has 15. It would help on those kickouts an enormous amount.

Last edited:
Happy to trade for English if it’s one of our late 2nd rounders.

He’s a FA next year trading him this year would be the dogs trying to get something back in return as opposed to nada

Why would the Dogs let the best ruck in the comp aged 25 go for a late 2nd when he is contracted and would get a 1st round compo pick next year? Min.

Happy to go after English next year.

Dogs won't be able to match and force us to the trade table.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

But this is also why we won’t be paying market rate this year. The bullies May as well get something, dump some salary and lessen their glut of talls, albeit most seem to be in the forward line as opposed to rucks.

As Leigh Mathew’s says

I agree. I would rather use big money to get mids that win their own ball no matter who wins the ruck contest. For the most part the teams with the better rucks are not doing so well. Cockburn, Bulldogs etc. Collingwood have had no rucks or an average ruck all year.

Last edited:
Id be happier with Jordan Sweet for pick 1 in the PSD myself and to spend the salary cap room in 2025 on a godfather offer for Sam Taylor

Dangerous areas if West Coast has made some sort of commitment à la Kelly.

Especially as by all accounts we've been after him for years and history has shown that we will pay up which would be a disaster.

We need to communicate very clearly to English that it would only happen this year if it's a very favourable trade and that we are happy to wait for next year or go without if that isn't the case.

Things have changed and we are rebuilding now and really it is in English's interest for us to have a strong draft hand.

Especially as by all accounts we've been after him for years and history has shown that we will pay up which would be a disaster.

We need to communicate very clearly to English that it would only happen this year if it's a very favourable trade and that we are happy to wait for next year or go without if that isn't the case.

Things have changed and we are rebuilding now and really it is in English's interest for us to have a strong draft hand.
Its not like the Kelly trade. Kelly told Geelong he wanted to go back. As far as I'm aware English hasn't said anything and would probably be equally happy to stay at the Bulldogs if nothing happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wouldn't happen to be the same ITK dogs poster who last year said barrass would 100% be at the kennel this year would it?

Well remembered
1689835905649.png

But the post that really starts to question this guys credibility Nat Fyfe , no offence
1689835960252.png

Barrass is WA bred, his dad was a legendary WA journalist.

For context, the guy who made this claim leaked the Lobb, Hunter and Schache trades all waayyyy in advance, and often leaks selection news early (like this week, keep an eye out for Buku Khamis getting a game for the first time this year), so he's either thrown some incredibly accurate darts, or he has genuine inside info. We've got some "ITKs" on our board who clearly make s**t up or piggyback off other people's rumours in order to garner attention, but this isn't one of them. He's far and away the most reliable of the lot. Of course, doesn't mean anything is guaranteed to happen
What a load of crap if I've ever heard one. Sam Mclure is one of the biggest dopes in footy media. What world you been living in.

Tim English is the one who chose to sign a two year extension a year back to get him through to Free Agency.

It would be illogical on several fronts to now turn around and demand West Coast trade for him this year.

He could have just come to us then if he just wanted to leave one year later.

Well remembered
View attachment 1745104

But the post that really starts to question this guys credibility Nat Fyfe , no offence
View attachment 1745105

Barrass is WA bred, his dad was a legendary WA journalist.
I think you’re missing the keyword “chance”. He made no such guarantees, and isn’t with English either. How much stock you want to put into that is up to you. The only confirmed thing is that this guy has a track record of inside info.

I know Barrass is born and bred here, not sure why that other poster got confused over that. All I can say to that is Dunkley was born and bred in Victoria, and a massive mummy’s boy, even asked Sydney not to match a bid on him if a Vic team placed the bid (because he was so desperate to stay) and yet was eventually lured interstate by money. If Dunkley of all people was able to leave Victoria, I could see anyone leaving their home state

I think you’re missing the keyword “chance”. He made no such guarantees, and isn’t with English either. How much stock you want to put into that is up to you. The only confirmed thing is that this guy has a track record of inside info.

I know Barrass is born and bred here. All I can say to that is Dunkley was born and bred in Victoria, and a massive mummy’s boy, even asked Sydney not to match a bid on him if a Vic team placed the bid (because he was so desperate to stay) and yet was eventually lured interstate by money. If Dunkley of all people was able to leave Victoria, I could see anyone leaving their home state

Was referring to his assertion that Barrass was from Victoria, so that's a big red flag on his credibility for mine.
But hey will see how things play out.

If we get Sydney's first rounder for Barrass this has legs imo, it would be something we'd do. Just hoping like hell we get one of their firsts back as well.

1 for English and ~12, Barrass for pick ~6 (and change), hope like fcuk Curtin is still there at 6, best available mid at 12.

Bulldogs ITK poster seems to think there will be a player exodus with us, interesting :/ I just read through their thread.

Was referring to his assertion that Barrass was from Victoria, so that's a big red flag on his credibility for mine.
But hey will see how things play out.
Ah sorry, misinterpreted what you were saying. Fair call - to play devils advocate, could just be he's largely unfamiliar with WA players but is simply repeating what he's been told, but I get the doubt. Just one read of the comedy produced by "ITKs" on the Carlton bluemour thread, and you'll have more than a healthy amount of skepticism for anyone claiming to have inside knowledge on this site. There's a few on the Dogs board who repeat what "their sources are telling them" that are clearly making up utter rubbish, and I can guarantee you that we'll soon have a few echoing this rumour in the next few days. This is probably the one guy who has actually made some decent calls in the past, although it's not like 100% of the claims eventuate. Most likely result I can see is English playing for the Dogs in 2024

If we get Sydney's first rounder for Barrass this has legs imo, it would be something we'd do. Just hoping like hell we get one of their firsts back as well.

1 for English and ~12, Barrass for pick ~6 (and change), hope like fcuk Curtin is still there at 6, best available mid at 12.

Bulldogs ITK poster seems to think there will be a player exodus with us, interesting :/ I just read through their thread.
That's a horrid deal.

Also, define 'max exodus'?

If it's a bunch of senior players, it's just as likely to be club-driven.

Can't imagine any of the younger blokes leaving.

Oscar Allen was named by said poster as one of them. I find it hard to believe, I'd rather keep him.
Yes, I read that.

That's clearly just making bullshit up.

Why would OAllen entertain a move to Melbourne, for less money, away from home?

Almost certain to be the next captain of WCE.

Whoever started that rumour needs to lay off the glass BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back