List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
That's a horrid deal.

Also, define 'max exodus'?

If it's a bunch of senior players, it's just as likely to be club-driven.

Can't imagine any of the younger blokes leaving.

There seems to be a perception that we’re going to have some sort of mass cull at the end of the year

I just don’t see it happening unless we have a Freo style group of players asking to be traded

We’ll likely move on about 8 players, maybe up to 10, but that’ll be it

Your leaving yourself wide open to being really disappointed if you think English will make that much difference. He will make a minor difference. Our improvement needs to come across the whole list.

Over my time of watching Rucks they are generally very good at Rucking. I know that is amazing.

They are generally very average at defending or attacking. They simply fill roles at best in those positions with the odd exception.

As Leigh Mathew’s says

Meryl Streep GIF by MOODMAN

Well an overrated young ruck won a premiership for Melbourne not long ago.

Oscar Allen was named by said poster as one of them. I find it hard to believe, I'd rather keep him.

Oscar is contracted until the end of 2025

Like Barrass, unless it's a well overs offer we wouldn't do it

If we get Sydney's first rounder for Barrass this has legs imo, it would be something we'd do. Just hoping like hell we get one of their firsts back as well.

1 for English and ~12, Barrass for pick ~6 (and change), hope like fcuk Curtin is still there at 6, best available mid at 12.

Bulldogs ITK poster seems to think there will be a player exodus with us, interesting :/ I just read through their thread.

Mass exodus.

Sounds good.

Oscar is contracted until the end of 2025

Like Barrass, unless it's a well overs offer we wouldn't do it
There is nothing in this universe that could be offered up for Oscar that would be attractive for us to take.

Nothing!!!

The same way Nic helped.

We start winning more stoppages with better supply.

English is also very good at pushing back to help our defence.

English and Bailey make a dynamic combo.

Maybe we trade TB and use the Swans 1st and add English plus Reid. Best outcome.

Some have suggested Barnett could be a good defender.

Rucks who can play forward.

English, Bailey and Jack Williams.

Rucks who can play defense. Barnett and Jamison.
If you think that English will have the same impact at clearances that Naitanui did at his height (2015, 2020, 2021) then you'll be sorely mistaken.
English is competitive in the primary ruck role, but excellent at secondary roles (such as link-up player and interceptor).

There seems to be a perception that we’re going to have some sort of mass cull at the end of the year

I just don’t see it happening unless we have a Freo style group of players asking to be traded

We’ll likely move on about 8 players, maybe up to 10, but that’ll be it
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to cull anymore then 8-10 in one off season.

I think with our rebuild the club would know it's going to take a few seasons to turn over what's needed. We have a lot of fringe not up to standard. I went through the list and counted about 20 players. Almost half our list needs to be turned over. But we can't expect to be doing that in one off season. 8-10 sounds about right. Then another cull will be required at the end of 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing in this universe that could be offered up for Oscar that would be attractive for us to take.

Nothing!!!

Agree to an extent.

But there is also a tipping point. But I would say our tipping point would and should be so outrageous that no team would ever offer it (as an example McDonald, Chad Warner, 1st this year + Future 1st… picked Sydney as we would want a young key forward in return plus some). No way that ever gets considered nor should it by either side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our look at list management should be an overall outlook- not to pigeonhole any position.
If we have no ruck but improve in another area then so be it.
Take value wherever we can.

Trading either pick one or a high first rounder we get back from a Sydney/Barrass trade for a guy we could get for free a year later would be a dumb as f**K move.
So it's completely what I expected the pieman, 007 and co. to do
We're all still reeling from the Brander pick, to be completely honest.

Apart from going Chesser over Johnson(jury's still out there anyway), all his picks so far have actually been pretty much what we've been wanting.

Even Dark Sharks 'deleted' his account when Culley was picked, because he was certain ROB would pick a mature ruckman.

Can’t see a sensible reason why we’d go for English this year, which is precisely why we might do just that.

It would be a vote of no confidence in Bailey Williams and tantamount to telling him to look elsewhere for opportunities. Williams has had a good year, he’s one player who’s shown real development. There’s every reason to think that with more strength next year and, hopefully, NicNat’s personal coaching, he can improve further.

For those criticising Williams, it’s worth noting that at the same stage of development English wasn’t exactly dominating.

Our focus should be on the draft at this stage, and ruck should be a low priority given that we have 3 developing rucks on the list already one of whom is already serviceable, and we have so many other more pressing priorities.

Can’t see Oscar wanting to leave, he wants to captain the Eagles. Can’t do that playing for another team.

Melbourne specifically really want Reid so this board should not be shocked if Dees 1st and F1 along with Freo first is offered to the Eagles for pick 1 with perhaps a second rounder going back to them whether this years or next.

Eagles certainly looking locally with Curtin and Hardeman high up on the lists.
We need a genuine blue chip midfielder this draft . Its either Reid or McKercher.

Pick 4 from the dees wouldn't get us that

Apart from going Chesser over Johnson(jury's still out there anyway), all his picks so far have actually been pretty much what we've been wanting.

Even Dark Sharks 'deleted' his account when Culley was picked, because he was certain ROB would pick a mature ruckman.
Well if they don't do it I'll be pleasantly surprised won't I?
Not sure we should be applauding them making one of the most obvious picks of all time in Culley.

Chesser over any of the next 15 was a poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back