List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Rookie list spots don't count towards the national draft.

If you have 5 senior list spots available, then you can take 5 picks to the national draft.

If you have a further 2 rookie spots available, they only count in the rookie draft.

Sure, but if a primary list can have between 36-38 players (plus 6-8 rookies) then if we go to the draft with 31 on the main list we have 7 spots available (as such 7 picks).

But the club can use just 5 picks, and complete the list in the rookie draft (or add a dfa, or re-sign a player, or psd)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure, but if a primary list can have between 36-38 players (plus 6-8 rookies) then if we go to the draft with 31 on the main list we have 7 spots available (as such 7 picks).

But the club can use just 5 picks, and complete the list in the rookie draft (or add a dfa, or re-sign a player, or psd)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are correct.

You will have to retire/delist 7 players then.

Do what the Lions and a few other clubs do. Delist a contracted player (one who is unlikely to be picked up by another club, or won't be missed if they are) with a promise to redraft them in the rookie draft.

Culley would be a brave man to request a trade off the back of an ACL. He is by no means a sure thing to make it

Flip side I think there's plenty of sides who would have seen enough and offer to bring him home. Hawks, Norf, Saints..

I really hope we keep him. He's that big defensive enforcer that every good midfield needs. Hewett and Reid project to be those really damaging, offensive types, and Ginbey loves a tackle but has the athletic profile to be bursting away from stoppage just as much as he shuts down the oppo.

I am thinking Norf could target Haynes from GWS as a salary dump and cover for McKay (assume he becomes a drug rat) and Logue out with his ACL.

It is reported Haynes is on $1 mln plus being back-ended so they might pick up a 2nd rounder to go with him in a salary dump. Haynes also looks to be depth nowadays and a trade would not impact their FA compo plans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should target Curtin in 2 years time when he requests out of North. It's our turn.
This is the funny thing right?

Endless articles about how Reid is such a risk for WCE due to 'go home' factor but apparently Curtin is no issue?

Why can't The West/PerthNow start rumours about this?

I’d like to see us smash the draft this year and target free agency next year by ripping the spine out of the Bulldogs and letting the top rated Vic Metro mummy’s boys stay on the tit over there.

Pick trades
Eagles gain: pick 3
North/Hawks gain: 2024 1R

Eagles gain: pick 5, GCS 2024 2R, 3R
Gold Coast gain: pick 34, 38, 53, Eagles 2024 2R, Eagles 2024 3R with no bids on GCS 2023 and 2024 NGA and we will carry picks for them

I know at first glance this trade looks like GCS would get a better offer but add up the points saved by a bottom 2 team not bidding across 2 drafts and the likely points difference by switching 2024 2R, 3R and it’s actually a huge win for them too, not bidding on Walter at #1 this year alone is 483 points)

Draft night:
1 Reid
3 Curtain
5 McKercher/Watson/Duursma
19 Demattia/Hardeman/trade on night for Liam Stocker type offer
57(Collard NGA)

We should also look at Robertson, Dow, Brockman, Sharp, Georgiades as possible trades/PSD

2024: targets: English, Naughton, Busslinger from Dogs and potentially X Duursma to join his brother

All of a sudden our team looks pretty bloody good on paper in 2025.

Another option would be offering Adelaide our 2024 1R in exchange for their 2024 1R and a combination of picks 8, 20 and 23 so they can get their hands on Sid Draper next year.

This is the funny thing right?

Endless articles about how Reid is such a risk for WCE due to 'go home' factor but apparently Curtin is no issue?

Why can't The West/PerthNow start rumours about this?

One of the Norfies sounds a bit worried about losing him. They may not be wrong. Getting a tall would be high on their list, but I think they have cold feet about Curtin.

They should be turning pick 2, 3 and Ports first into the picks to get some combination of McKercher/Watson/O'Sullivan. Add Sanders to that list and it's a great haul.

I suspect we'd be happy to pony up our F1 for a crack at pick 2 or 3 (on the proviso they leave Curtin there at 3). They could move that on with whatever else we add as a sweetener and unlock more picks. If the Demons aren't fussed about using the Freo pick they might be happy to pass that on for our F1 instead.

They could make out like bandits this year but if they have reservations about grabbing another flight risk early then trade out of that spot to ensure you have picks around the next best option. It sounds like O'Sullivan is no slouch in the KPD stakes.

One of the Norfies sounds a bit worried about losing him. They may not be wrong. Getting a tall would be high on their list, but I think they have cold feet about Curtin.

They should be turning pick 2, 3 and Ports first into the picks to get some combination of McKercher/Watson/O'Sullivan. Add Sanders to that list and it's a great haul.

I suspect we'd be happy to pony up our F1 for a crack at pick 2 or 3 (on the proviso they leave Curtin there at 3). They could move that on with whatever else we add as a sweetener and unlock more picks. If the Demons aren't fussed about using the Freo pick they might be happy to pass that on for our F1 instead.

They could make out like bandits this year but if they have reservations about grabbing another flight risk early then trade out of that spot to ensure you have picks around the next best option. It sounds like O'Sullivan is no slouch in the KPD stakes.
Yeah, I've suggested a number of times they should be looking to trade back 2 or 3 and look at O'Sullivan and/or another KPP just outside the top 10. There's a few rated in the teens.

For some reason the narrative is for WCE to split picks, yet nobody mentions anything about North exploring that possibility also, especially when it makes far more sense for them to do so.

Yeah, I've suggested a number of times they should be looking to trade back 2 or 3 and look at O'Sullivan and/or another KPP just outside the top 10. There's a few rated in the teens.

For some reason the narrative is for WCE to split picks, yet nobody mentions anything about North exploring that possibility also, especially when it makes far more sense for them to do so.

Agree with you. They should also feel aggrieved that they can't have a crack at Walter. They finish with pick 1 or 2, desperate for a tall to straighten them up for 15 years and that talent is locked away elsewhere. I'm not sure how much longer that will keep happening. When GC become competitive I suspect it'll go under review, or the benefits be passed on to the footy states in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back